Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping this time of year through to Winter

slidingaround

slidingaround

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All,

We got our T6 Cali Ocean a week or so ago and haven't slept out in it yet. We were thinking to go out this coming weekend in it (x2 Adults, x2 Kids under 7). We previously had a T5 camper but it had no pop top or diesel heater. We only camped in Summer and sleep x1 adult & 1 kid in the van and the x1 adult and kid in the drive away awning.

Being new to the Cali world and pop top/diesel heater, my question is, i presume camping this time of year is fine? Will we need a cover to go over the pop top this time of year to stop rain/wind and keep warm? Also, what other must haves would we need for this time of year? Apart from levelling blocks/ramps, i can't think of anything else.

The external roof cover is a must. Protects the canvas from rain, wind, and certainly helps keep some warmth in.
We have just bought a telescopic ladder that greatly helps with the putting on and getting off.....especially when the cover is wet!
In a year we have not used the ramps once. Just put the front end at the highest point so the blood does not run to your head when in top bunk. But we always carry the ramps should they be needed.
Porta Potti (cube 335) goes under the sink.
Vango Galli compact awning for sites when 2+ days.
Cube electric heater for when electric hook up - no point using diesel when you have electric on tap!
3 season sleeping bags for everyone. So much more convenient than carrying duvets etc.
External thermal Windscreen Blind. So much better than the fitted internal blinds.

We are doing the same, 2 adults and 1 three year old. We plan on camping every month throughout winter.

I just fitted and Isotop IV internal isolation, it makes a very noticeable difference in keeping the van warm with the roof up. Very comfortable.
I also made a device to keep the upstair warm via the diesel heater. Learned it from this thread -> https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/heating-upstairs.31650/

I am not sure the roof topper is essential. We hired a Cali last Feb (before buying) and were fine with the heater and no topper, although it has to be said we were sleeping at the lower level. It might be worth trying a couple of overnighters in the cold before splashing out on a topper.

I am not sure the roof topper is essential. We hired a Cali last Feb (before buying) and were fine with the heater and no topper, although it has to be said we were sleeping at the lower level. It might be worth trying a couple of overnighters in the cold before splashing out on a topper.
I'd say that a topper of one kind or another is very close to essential for sleeping up top in cold, or wind, or heavy rain, or any combination of the above.

Before buying a Cali, I slept in a summer tent even with freezing temperatures. I woke up many times with ice on the tent, but I was using a good sleeping bag and wearing a hat and I was very comfortable. Needless to say this thin tent didn't have a topper, so a topper is definitely not a must have in my opinion. The fabric of the new California is waterproof, I tested it more than once.
For the trips you are planning I certainly recommend building yourself one of those flexible pipes to bring the heat from the Diesel heater upstairs. Even without a topper or better in my view an ISOTOP, the Cali is still luxury compared to sleeping in a tent.
Of course with an additional layer it would retain the heat better.
Quite frankly I am considering getting a IsoTOP or building myself one more for the time during the day when the pop top and the bed are both raised, as the heat seems to escape very easily, especially due to the vents right at the top.

Hi All,

We got our T6 Cali Ocean a week or so ago and haven't slept out in it yet. We were thinking to go out this coming weekend in it (x2 Adults, x2 Kids under 7). We previously had a T5 camper but it had no pop top or diesel heater. We only camped in Summer and sleep x1 adult & 1 kid in the van and the x1 adult and kid in the drive away awning.

Being new to the Cali world and pop top/diesel heater, my question is, i presume camping this time of year is fine? Will we need a cover to go over the pop top this time of year to stop rain/wind and keep warm? Also, what other must haves would we need for this time of year? Apart from levelling blocks/ramps, i can't think of anything else.
You don't need a Roof Topper - BUT you must be able to dry the canvas of the bellows after use. If you have off-road parking then not a problem.

Off-road parking, then look at an Internal Fit & Forget Topper, but you still have to make sure the canvas bellows is dry before storing for more than a week or so.

On-road parking, then an External waterproof Topper to keep the bellows canvas as dry as possible.

To many people pack up the Cali for the winter months we use ours all year. We do not use a topper. We do sleep down stairs. Apart from wild camping you are limited in the number of fully serviced camp sites that are open all year I do prefer hard standing pitches in the rainy season and try not to park under iffy looking trees in high winds

The cali is a superb winter vehicle. If you are going to pop the children upstairs, or even yourselves, a topper would be advisable.

The external roof cover is a must. Protects the canvas from rain, wind, and certainly helps keep some warmth in.
We have just bought a telescopic ladder that greatly helps with the putting on and getting off.....especially when the cover is wet!
In a year we have not used the ramps once. Just put the front end at the highest point so the blood does not run to your head when in top bunk. But we always carry the ramps should they be needed.
Cube electric heater for when electric hook up - no point using diesel when you have electric on tap!
3 season sleeping bags for everyone. So much more convenient than carrying duvets etc.
External thermal Windscreen Blind. So much better than the fitted internal blinds.
A topper is not essential, many don't use them. Do you sleep in bags at home, why start in a lovely comfy Cali. An external window blind is again not necessary, try the very expensive supplied equipment first, lose the headrest before turning the seats and they are fine. Start with the basics, go to club meets and see what works.

Has anyone tried shrink wrapping part of the roof canvas to stop
it getting wet so you can do more wet camping.
It would save packing up a wet roof topper and also stop
the mattress getting wet.
images-27.jpeg

Thanks, any covers for the poptop to look at or avoid? Would we be ok this time of year (this weekend) without one do you think?

We are doing the same, 2 adults and 1 three year old. We plan on camping every month throughout winter.

I just fitted and Isotop IV internal isolation, it makes a very noticeable difference in keeping the van warm with the roof up. Very comfortable.
I also made a device to keep the upstair warm via the diesel heater. Learned it from this thread -> https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/heating-upstairs.31650/
Thanks will check that out. Do you need one external and internal or does one service?

Good looking contraption, is it needed though? Hot air rising and all that.

Kids will be up top so need to make sure they’re warm. Maybe this time of year will be a good test before it gets too cold.

You don't need a Roof Topper - BUT you must be able to dry the canvas of the bellows after use. If you have off-road parking then not a problem.

Off-road parking, then look at an Internal Fit & Forget Topper, but you still have to make sure the canvas bellows is dry before storing for more than a week or so.

On-road parking, then an External waterproof Topper to keep the bellows canvas as dry as possible.

Sorry, lost on the off road parking point?

Best thing is to get out and do a few one night stays before you decide on any accessories. Each one you will learn what you like and don’t like- more importantly what the family like and don’t like! Key thing is- the van is tried and tested and massively capable in most, if not all but the most extreme conditions.

You can camp all year round in the UK no bother at all with minimal additional stuff. Our kids stick with pyjamas and a big duvet downstairs and they love it.

Best thing is to get out and do a few one night stays before you decide on any accessories. Each one you will learn what you like and don’t like- more importantly what the family like and don’t like! Key thing is- the van is tried and tested and massively capable in most, if not all but the most extreme conditions.

You can camp all year round in the UK no bother at all with minimal additional stuff. Our kids stick with pyjamas and a big duvet downstairs and they love it.

Do you think the kids would be warm enough this time of year (still relatively mild) up the top without the topper insulation?

My kids are young (all under 4)- but when I have taken them away I find that they get snugged on the downstairs bed playing a game or watching the iPad. I read then a story and they fall asleep. I then sit outside and enjoy the post-chaos quiet for a bit then sneak upstairs to sleep myself. I know they are safe/warm etc running the heater at 4 through the night.

This weather is fine up top with a decent sleeping bag/duvet. Obviously driving rain and wind wouldn’t be so pleasant. I would advise get a few trips in this mild weather and see how things go before committing to an expensive item.

My kids are young (all under 4)- but when I have taken them away I find that they get snugged on the downstairs bed playing a game or watching the iPad. I read then a story and they fall asleep. I then sit outside and enjoy the post-chaos quiet for a bit then sneak upstairs to sleep myself. I know they are safe/warm etc running the heater at 4 through the night.

This weather is fine up top with a decent sleeping bag/duvet. Obviously driving rain and wind wouldn’t be so pleasant. I would advise get a few trips in this mild weather and see how things go before committing to an expensive item.
Thanks for the advice. I have a 7 year old and a 3.5 year old. I just know they’re going to want to sleep up the top, I don’t think there is any room for negotiation there. :)

Do you think the kids would be warm enough this time of year (still relatively mild) up the top without the topper insulation?
It depends if they are sleeping in a good sleeping bag. Just consider the bed up top to be just slightly better than a tent. You have a better roof of course and you are not sleeping on the ground. Trust me the 20quid contraption tube to get the heating upstairs makes a huge difference.
For reference my 5yr old daughter slept upstairs with 11 degrees outside in a 10degrees sleeping bag from decathlon with the heating on 2 (with the contraption tube and wearing thermals). She then slept with 7 degrees outside temp with the same sleeping bag and a thin fleece blanket, heating on 3 and I measured a few time she had solid 18 to 20 degrees up there. As a matter of fact the heating wasn‘t needed, but it makes it very very comfortable, especially heating everything up before getting out of bed in the am. The only money i would advise you to spend now it‘s the 20 quid for the tube, which is also your safety net, should it get very cold. And it helps keep the bellow dry.

Ah ok. Makes sense.
Useful to keep Canvas dry, if you cannot dry it at home.

Can be fitted permanently and left inside when roof lowered. BUT canvas Bellows still needs to be dried.