Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsite advice surfing northern France?

Cal’ish

Cal’ish

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

Planning for our first Cali trip outside the Nordics this summer. Ideally we’d like to end up with a base camp on the French North Atlantic coast, with surfing being the main priority. So I call upon thee for campsite advice, with the following wish list:

- manageable walking distance when carrying surfboards to the ocean
- option for surf board rental would mean we could avoid the hassle of bringing our own
- beginner-friendly waves
- no aqua parks or similar extravaganzas
- a small supermarket/shop
- reasonably clean amenities
- family friendly
- a small restaurant or snack bar
- more nature, less parking lot
- peace and quiet, no full moon parties

Any advice reg my utopic hopes is highly appreciated

Hi all,

Planning for our first Cali trip outside the Nordics this summer. Ideally we’d like to end up with a base camp on the French North Atlantic coast, with surfing being the main priority. So I call upon thee for campsite advice, with the following wish list:

- option for surf board rental would mean we could avoid the hassle of bringing our own
- family friendly

Looking for the same thing at this very moment... Considering Lacanau as it should be less crowded than down south, but wanting "peace and quiet" during summer seems to be utopic :sad

I've been to Camping La Grigne at Le Porge Ocean a few times....lovely pine forest campsite a few mins walk from the beach. There's several beach bars/restaurants. Not sure about surfboard hire (I seem to recall a surf school?). Definitely quieter than Lacanau and the waves are more manageable (tho won't be much smaller....just seemed easier to me...probably partly cos less people in the water).
I should caveat that I've not been in high season, only May/early June....it might be hideous in August

Hi all,

- family friendly

Alot further south (Montalivet), but below is excellent with consistent surf; Small campsite with a bar, just cross the road and you are on the beach with consistent surf. Various cycle tracks which take you into pine forests. Still chilled out even in peak season, as most others head to Lacanau etc.

Choice of surfschools, board hire, land yatching, free outdoor fitness centre further along the beach on the beach with monkey bars etc, slack lines (good fun after a few beers), volleyball nets etc.

5 mins walk from main street which has a decent Spa shop, bakery, good selection of restaurants, daily market with various food stools, juice bars, communal oyster tables. Lidl 20mins walk away.

High wire course in the trees about 30 mins walk away, crazy golf, etc.

30 mins drive or so from a large lake which is great for SUP, sailing, kayaking etc.

I've been to Camping La Grigne at Le Porge Ocean a few times....lovely pine forest campsite a few mins walk from the beach. There's several beach bars/restaurants. Not sure about surfboard hire (I seem to recall a surf school?). Definitely quieter than Lacanau and the waves are more manageable (tho won't be much smaller....just seemed easier to me...probably partly cos less people in the water).
I should caveat that I've not been in high season, only May/early June....it might be hideous in August
Looks nice, but google says Le Porge is the closest surf spot to Bordeaux so that means crowds during peak season and the weekends. Think August might not be the best time for me.

Looks nice, but google says Le Porge is the closest surf spot to Bordeaux so that means crowds during peak season and the weekends. Think August might not be the best time for me.
Ouch. As for me the plan is to go in July which should not coincide with the local holiday peak.

Surfing in France July/August.
It will be over-crowded and flat as a pancake. Possibly the worst months of the year to surf in Europe…

La Torche,

has a surf school and hire shop,

Cafe (creperie ) near the beach.

was pretty chilled out in End of August (several years back) good laid back Vibe

massive long Sandy beach, reasonable surf for August. (I didn’t surf it)

I have not Stayed at La Torche, visited only, but wished I had.

the only site I can find close to the Beach :

Surf school / shop

La Torche Beach, looking from the headland back to the beach :

58A7EB82-2F88-4236-8FFE-CC9CF7D9CFD1.jpeg

How full are the sites in mid/end July? I realize it’s high season, however we have some hope of “winging it” a little since domestic holidaymakers generally travel in August.

Baie des Trépassés in Brittany is a great spot, not too busy, beautiful beach, it doesn't seem to get over run - there's a campsite there that we've never tried so I can't tell you what it's like though it looks like you could walk with boards to the beach. We camped at Pors Peron, a 15 minute drive, the campsite is on the coast and is really nice, friendly, good value when we were there with an ACSI card.

IMG_20220513_130210752.jpg

Baie des Trépassés in Brittany is a great spot, not too busy, beautiful beach, it doesn't seem to get over run - there's a campsite there that we've never tried so I can't tell you what it's like though it looks like you could walk with boards to the beach. We camped at Pors Peron, a 15 minute drive, the campsite is on the coast and is really nice, friendly, good value when we were there with an ACSI card.

View attachment 95944
I did come across that beach on a map, but I did not see any campsites nearby. You don’t happen to recall the name by chance?

Hi, I think it is Camping de la Baie, Cap Sizun, it's described as simple/one star, we saw the signs to it when we there. Google maps shows it as a 4 minute drive to the beach or 25 minute walk so might not be what you want. It's a nice spot though. We were there in May so the season hadn't really started but when we've been in August it's still been pretty quiet - in season (unless things have changed) there's a surf board hire hut, there's also a hotel/restaurant, a cafe and a small free car park, parking is also easy along the road.

Right, after a few days drivning danish, German, Dutch and Belgian freeways, with uninspired overnights, finally booked a few nights here:

Unfortunately the surf forecast seems to be rubbish in the upcoming days but at least there’s the sea, hot weather, and pine forests for runs. And pool for kiddo.

Right, after a few days drivning danish, German, Dutch and Belgian freeways, with uninspired overnights, finally booked a few nights here:

Unfortunately the surf forecast seems to be rubbish in the upcoming days but at least there’s the sea, hot weather, and pine forests for runs. And pool for kiddo.
Which pitch type did you book?
Look forward to seeing your review.

Looks nice,

look forward to the write up :thumb

Which pitch type did you book?
Look forward to seeing your review.
Pitch Comfort : Pitch + vehicule + electricity

Booking is pending, hope it will be approved since we’re leaving Calais at 7 tomorrow morning

Hire some SUP’s

Hire some SUP’s
Yeah they might be useful for catching some small surf, although offshore winds and SUP isn’t always great.. I have a decent volume 7’ surfboard with me, hoping to catch some ankle biters

In all fairness, it’s July/August. The flattest months of the year. At least the weathers nice ;)

In all fairness, it’s July/August. The flattest months of the year. At least the weathers nice ;)
Yup. Previous surf trips in France have been late September but that was pre-parenting. Now school holidays determine the long trips..

Update, swell came in, I had waist-high peelers in the sundown all to myself. What a treat that was :)

Ok: As for the site I give it high praise. My campsite point of reference is however the camp sites of the west coast of Sweden, which are in general football fields covered by great whites and caravans, and activities are limited to miniature golf, drinking and barbecuing. As a (recently) sober, restless person in my forties with running, mountain biking and surfing as preferred pass-times I rarely fit into the demographics nor the activities on offer there.
Here on the other hand, great mix in age and class, lots off trees and bushes, simple but decent food and drinks on offer at great prices (compared to Sweden, beer burger and fries €25), and a very polite and laid back attitude. Having resided in France I master the language decently which does add an additional layer of rapport with service staff that I know can be hard to get for a non-speaker.
Then there’s the surf. In Sweden I get choppy wind waves at best, in fall/winter, so even knee height clean waves are an absolute luxury to me. The 400m walk across the dunes to the beach can be a bit exhausting, you don’t really jump in for a quick surf (yesterday my watch counted 25.000 steps), but all in all we really like it here and just prolonged our stay with an additional two nights.

Back