Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsite rules and driveway awnings?

ShortDrain

ShortDrain

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Struggling to see clearly which way to go with a drive away awning. I don't want to spend quite a lot to not be able to use the awning effectively:Nailbiting...have you encountered sites that limit the size of the awning, or demand a particular orientation for the van/awning which doesn't work? I like the idea of a front facing awning (same as front windscreen) but not sure of how this works with parking orientation? Also does a sown in ground sheet often limit its use?? Thanks for any gems of wisdom and or strong recommendations:confused:

We have got a very large awning and tend to ring the campsite to make sure they can accommodate - not had a problem so far. Also sewn in ground sheet has not been a problem, but we mostly book hard/gravel pitches. There are some campsites that ask you to lift the ground sheet each day (probably more so abroad), but there are plenty that don’t.

Never had a problem myself but I never go to CCMC etc type campsites that seem to impose these kinds of rules.
Always farmers field types & privately run ones.

Haven't worried too much about orientation as it;s never going to be perfect. I just want a dry and warm internal space

Awning really great to have in some circumstances. But not all

Last edited:
Often have to pay extra for an awning (any size) but never been asked what size the awning is.
Part of campsite life. Like charging extra for a dog!

Some sites do not allow awnings e.g. Whitley Bay Caravan & Motorhome Club. Best to check.

We had a strange problem this summer, due to a combination of campsite rules and Covid rules all vans needed to be facing the same way (Camp rules) but vans and awnings needed to be 2m apart. The issue with a Cali is the door is on the wrong side, so caused some confusion and head scratching for the site manager as to follow Covid risk assessment the Cali needed to be front end in, camp rules were vans should be reversed in. We were using our Vango hexaway. Best investment we made second to the electric pump from the Cali club shop

Some sites do have size limits on awnings and some insist on breathable / no ground sheets. We went for a Kampa Cross air as it has a removable groundsheet, has an opening on all 3 sides so orientation not an issue and has the option of extending with sleeping pods.

Depends on what it’s being used for ... we have a dog so it’s useful for extra space, especially when wet. Yes some campsites insist on specific facing positions ( which may affect your view) but depending on windows /doors that your awning has, shouldn’t really be an issue.We didn’t want too big so went fora Vango Palm which is ideal for for two + big dog. It has a removable ground sheet but we went for the footprint too.7EC7AD77-07E2-4484-A507-40DC42AEB84C.jpeg

I won't go for a sewn in groundsheet. I'll only buy clip in. If it's warm and dry I like grass underfoot and if on hardstanding prefer no groundsheet too.

If it's not blowing a hooley I like to have the wind out awning wound out at least a metre, then attach the driveaway to that. It's more airy and less claustrophobicI use good quality shower curtains at the gaps and tie them like draped curtains and put them down at night or if a bit of privacy is required. It gives a great space for "outdoor" cooking if it's to wet/windy and I hook up a couple more shower curtains to create a shower/toilet cubicle in half the drive away's tunnel (easily removed or rolled up if you drive away).

Camping and caravan club have quite narrow pitches (only 5m wide) unless you pay loads more for a Jumbo pitch. Caravan & motorhome club are more generous. Some other sites we've been too are quite tight for space too. Most festivals these days have more generous pitch sizes and have the pitches marked out for safety. A few, like Cambridge folk festival, don't allow awnings at all as camping space is limited (but then they don't allow dogs either, miserable beggars)!

I,ve never felt the need for an awning but there are only the 2 of us and I like to travel light.

I,ve never felt the need for an awning but there are only the 2 of us and I like to travel light.
We do a lot of pub stopovers and where even a wind out awning is a no-no so travelling light is important a lot of times. We're just starting to get used to it in the Cali after 20 months.

Our previous van was a Toyota Hiace (a lot slimmer and shorter and difficult to manoevre the bed) so times without an awning were challenging with 2 dogs, especially in UK weather. It wasn't an easy or comfy van to sit or eat in, either. So after 12 years in that, old habits were hard to break and we took far more stuff than needed when we first got the Cali.

Now we're getting used to the Cali being easy to pack and so much easier to store stuff and move around in, the penny's slowly dropping and we're using it more efficiently. Having the 2 tables and the chairs that stow in the van so cleverly is genious and have saved a whole heap of space. Top loading fridge makes a big difference too. As a van we find the Cali's so easy and a pleasure to "live in". Plus we only have one dog now.

I do though have a thing for cooking outdoors and like to use different methods, mixing and matching equipment and fuels, so that takes an extra bit of space and needs to be outside the van. We do a lot of festivals (April to October, some 4 or 5 days) in the UK's unpredictable weather so an awning is great for our comfy chairs, wet coats/ponchos, boots etc. Our smallest awning is the Outdoor Revolution outhouse handi (pole and sleeve). It's only 2x2m plus tunnel, is great just for storage and packs easily in to a tiny bag as it's only tent material and no bulky poly windows or fancy trimmings.

So, I suppose it's where you go and when, who's travelling with you, what you like to do when you get there, and what you need to take that dtermines whether you need/want an awning. With the cali though whether it's hot/cold, wet/dry it's a lovely environment to sit in and relax, so needing an awning for that is no longer a requirement for us. We just now need a bit of storage and a "buffer zone" between the elements and the van for our wet stuff and dog.

We do a lot of pub stopovers and where even a wind out awning is a no-no so travelling light is important a lot of times. We're just starting to get used to it in the Cali after 20 months.

Our previous van was a Toyota Hiace (a lot slimmer and shorter and difficult to manoevre the bed) so times without an awning were challenging with 2 dogs, especially in UK weather. It wasn't an easy or comfy van to sit or eat in, either. So after 12 years in that, old habits were hard to break and we took far more stuff than needed when we first got the Cali.

Now we're getting used to the Cali being easy to pack and so much easier to store stuff and move around in, the penny's slowly dropping and we're using it more efficiently. Having the 2 tables and the chairs that stow in the van so cleverly is genious and have saved a whole heap of space. Top loading fridge makes a big difference too. As a van we find the Cali's so easy and a pleasure to "live in". Plus we only have one dog now.

I do though have a thing for cooking outdoors and like to use different methods, mixing and matching equipment and fuels, so that takes an extra bit of space and needs to be outside the van. We do a lot of festivals (April to October, some 4 or 5 days) in the UK's unpredictable weather so an awning is great for our comfy chairs, wet coats/ponchos, boots etc. Our smallest awning is the Outdoor Revolution outhouse handi (pole and sleeve). It's only 2x2m plus tunnel, is great just for storage and packs easily in to a tiny bag as it's only tent material and no bulky poly windows or fancy trimmings.

So, I suppose it's where you go and when, who's travelling with you, what you like to do when you get there, and what you need to take that dtermines whether you need/want an awning. With the cali though whether it's hot/cold, wet/dry it's a lovely environment to sit in and relax, so needing an awning for that is no longer a requirement for us. We just now need a bit of storage and a "buffer zone" between the elements and the van for our wet stuff and dog.
Hi Elly

Totally understand why you need an awning but we are all different and use our Cali's in different ways, before I foolishly sold ours (I am reminded on a daily basis) I was happy to travel light and even when we went to Italy for 3 weeks we still had plenty of storage space. I know you love lots of the hints and tips for maximising storage.

I on the other hand liked what the Ocean had to offer in the way of storage and other than a couple of Ikea boxes didn't add to it and also liked the wind out awning and never felt the need for anything else. Possibly I'm just lazy.

Cheers
K

Who knows when that is?
In march i thought we would be out of
the woods late august.
I always thought it would be middle to late next year at the earliest, should have been in the Italian lakes now.

Hi Elly

Totally understand why you need an awning but we are all different and use our Cali's in different ways, before I foolishly sold ours (I am reminded on a daily basis) I was happy to travel light and even when we went to Italy for 3 weeks we still had plenty of storage space. I know you love lots of the hints and tips for maximising storage.

I on the other hand liked what the Ocean had to offer in the way of storage and other than a couple of Ikea boxes didn't add to it and also liked the wind out awning and never felt the need for anything else. Possibly I'm just lazy.

Cheers
K
Sounds like you’re very practical, Karlos and do what works for you guys.

Edit: I thought you meant you sold the awning, not your van! Are you planning on getting another?

Sounds like you’re very practical, Karlos and do what works for you guys.

Edit: I thought you meant you sold the awning, not your van! Are you planning on getting another?
Yes hopefully, possibly a Coast but waiting for the madness to calm down. Specked a Coast on Drive the deal the other day with everything our Ocean had including the same wheels and opening front bellows plus a tow bar for less than we sold our Ocean for.

When we were using out T2 in Europe a few years ago we had two Shyam awnings. A Motordome that slept 4 and a small Motordome Sleeper. Cant find them now ... have they gone out of business? Actually they bought out Relum who made and old tent I have ... so maybe it has been their turn to be swallowed up whilst I wasn't looking !

Back