Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsites in Ireland any advice?

Sonas

Sonas

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all
I just wondered if anyone has camped in Ireland. We are going there soon and any advice/ experiences would be most welcome. From research it seems to me that the standard of the campsites is quite basic.

All the best

Sonas

Hi Sonas
There are quite a few threads on camping in Ireland, but if you put site:vwcaliforniaclub.com ireland into the Google search box it will find them for you. Here's one for you
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/two-weeks-in-ireland.7468/ and another
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/camping-in-ireland.10458/

It's a fabulous country to explore and the place is beautiful. The best campsites aren't always those with the highest number of stars. The beaches on the west coast are fabulous and often empty.

We almost always wild/free camp in Ireland, so can’t offer much in the way of advice on campsites.

We have stayed at the Eco-Beach Campsite, near Clifden. The pitches are informal and the facilities clean. The private beach is really nice, and some of the pitches are brilliant, on the cliff edges. Unfortunately the one we were designated wasn’t the best on our first (so far only) visit, but we now know where the best ones are, should we return. €20 per night.

Keem Bay, Achill Island is a favourite spot of ours for a wild-camp. There is a public toilet block at the top carpark.

1022C81E-D5BF-47A2-BCBC-F8F7AB4767EE.jpeg
0D84DE80-9A35-4B86-B083-1FFDB9CA1C63.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello there! I went on a solo trip from Rosslare around the SW peninsulas last April.
I spent first and last nights at Hook Head lighthouse which is fine with overnights where no facilities apart from very interesting visitor centre daytime.
Tried to stay at the Aire on Cobh waterfront but couldn't get the machine to take my 10 euros, got soaked trying so stopped in Lidl car park!. Very peaceful night actually for the price of some shopping.
My Favourite site is Wavecrest.IMG_6477.jpg As it was early in the season had the site almost all to myself but gather booking essential high season. Wonderful nooks and corners which all look out on the sea. There is a pub in walking distance, just. Certainly seemed nearer coming back!
Glengarrif has a campsite but right next door is O' Sheas which is a lovely small site, quiet and basic facilities. IMG_6443.jpgIMG_6443.jpgIMG_5497.jpg
Mannix Point is a great site location wise, good facilities and gather they have music nights and a good social scene going on.
Glenross is a posher site, good facilities and walking distance to local restaurants and pubs. IMG_5714.jpgIMG_5713.jpg
From Glenross found the best beaches ever. Inch beach and Rossbeigh beach.

IMG_6632.jpg

I am rambling on now! It was a great trip.
I covered a lot of miles which looking back probably should have stayed in one place for more than one night. I determined to move on each day which made it all a bit of a whistle stop tour. I followed the wild Atlantic Way including the Mizen Head, around the Sheeps Head, Bantry, Portmagee for the Skellig Islands boat trip and up as far as the Dingle peninsula before heading back through the Kiillarney National park.

I found the roads very poor in places, the van got a good shake up but as in tourist mode was only toodling along. (pulling over for the natives as they are usually in a rush!)
Roads very quiet generally and they drive on the correct side!!
Have to say the lack of rubbish bins in towns was a bit of a surprise, had to bin at the sites each night.
The internet, 4G usually, is brilliant. Well done Eire and EU, wish it was wall to wall here. Managed to map and navigate all over the place and never had a problem getting online to research and check out things nearby.
Had a great time and each turn seemed to offer more vistas and surprises.
IMG_0766.jpg

Last edited:
The internet, 4G usually, is brilliant. Well done Eire and EU, wish it was wall to wall here.
View attachment 34298

I’ve a UK SIM card, which gets wall to wall coverage in IRE, and an IRE SIM which get wall to wall coverage in the UK!

However, the IRE SIM gets patchy cover when in IRE, and the UK SIM gets patchy cover in the UK.

Roaming is the secret, as there’s normally coverage from one of the networks in each area, but not all of them. With roaming generally free these days, it makes sense to have both, as I also travel in IRE most weeks

I’ve a UK SIM card, which gets wall to wall coverage in IRE, and an IRE SIM which get wall to wall coverage in the UK!

However, the IRE SIM gets patchy cover when in IRE, and the UK SIM gets patchy cover in the UK.

Roaming is the secret