Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsites Open in Winter,

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Can anyone recommend a campsite in Wilts, Berks, Oxfordshire, West Sussex or Dorset (central south) that is fully open this time of year? Had planned to go to the Stonehenge campsite this weekend that many have given positive reviews about. Their website says its open but when I called them today they informed me the showers and toilets are not open. Open for big whites, not VWs. I think this is the case with many campsites this time of year. would like to get away for this weekend if poss.

one reason why I maintain a club membership

one reason why I maintain a club membership
Just stayed at the Oxford CCC site, you do not have to be a member to visit, it just costs more money, I paid £15.65 including hookup as I am a member. Next door to the park and ride, a bit noisy and not exactly 5 star facilities but more than adequate. A world class city just up the road with a choice of theatres, three or four great museums and a new shopping centre, terrific bus service, free for me. We will probably return at least once a month until the late spring.

Wareham forest tourist park open lovely site on edge of wareham forest. Shower blocks all heated . Pub within walking distance.

The farm at Bransgore New Forest is open all year..

Church Farm at Sixpenny Handley is also open all year.

Not mad about the two day minimum booking though. Or is that not applicable if you have a membership?
I think the CCC can have minimum stay requirements but the Caravan Club doesn't and no deposit needed as well.

I think the CCC can have minimum stay requirements but the Caravan Club doesn't and no deposit needed as well.
Caravan Club sting non-members by quite an amount per night compared to the C&CC. Or at least they did at the Longleat site when I last used it.

Apologies I'm going off topic a little. Plenty of campsites open over the winter if you look around hard enough. Stonehenge Touring Park isn't far from where you originally planned to stay. Not quite as quirky a site but perfectly adequate for a place to spend a night. Or take a look around the Cheddar area, plenty to go at there with some stunning walking to boot.

Only four big whites on the Oxford site yesterday, staff put us on access road parking area and provided hookup cable to avoid using grass. Happy to accept one night booking.

This place is really lovely.

http://www.lincolnfarmpark.co.uk/

We've been back several times and always go there for our 'first adventure of the year'. Its a great site, clean bathrooms, lovely pub just up the road and some really lovely walks away from roads (which is great for the dogs to stretch their legs), which also happen to lead to another really great pub!

New Forest? Setthornes is open all year, you need your own loo and be prepared to rough it but it's great this time of year. Just back today. £17 for 2 of us for 2 nights (no hookup). If you want showers etc and on site pub, Sandy Balls.

few sites appear to have minimum stay peroids in winter in my travels. Some of the larger sites used are so empty in winter they would be made to say minimum stay 2 days+ only.

Last edited:
I want either feast or famine. If I am going to pay to stay on a regular campsite then I want heated facility blocks. In the last six weeks I have stayed on three non-club sites and not had that therefore now my priority is to find CC&C or CC sites. One of the great pleasures of winter camping is to return back from the wilderness, or worse, shopping, cold and wet and sit under a warm shower in a warm facilities block until normal feeling returns.

Failing that then I might just as well stop at a Britstop or just wild camp. Trying to clean my teeth and do other things inside a block resembling an industrial fridge is not my idea of fun so I might as well use my own van for those sorts of things.

Salisbury Racecourse site was very good last February. Some hard standing if nit they can pop you on a access road next to hook up. Quiet and nice very warm facilities block and the town is lovely, great shops. Also have stayed in Bath at one on the river forget its name in February but its near the park and ride or bus routes or you can park in the Charlotte StreetCar Park. Last Feb there were 3 Cali's parked together! All were so my daughter could meet fans of her live streams! Also can recommend Cirencester CC site in the winter. Cirencester is a lovely town too. And I could potter in the shops/walk the dog/visit nice restaurants. Enjoy.

We are always on the lookout for a campsite, with or without hookup, with a cosy pub nearby to spend the dark evening in - the Plume of Feathers in Princetown, Dartmoor, and Burnham Deepdale (north Norfolk) both fit the bill, with plenty of good walking from the site in both cases.

Any more suggestions?

Conceige camping in West Ashling near Chichester. It’s expensive at £32 a night but the facilities are amazing - truly. You are paying for 5 star everything. A treat.

We are always on the lookout for a campsite, with or without hookup, with a cosy pub nearby to spend the dark evening in - the Plume of Feathers in Princetown, Dartmoor, and Burnham Deepdale (north Norfolk) both fit the bill, with plenty of good walking from the site in both cases.

Any more suggestions?

The Rodney Stoke Inn at Rodney Stoke near Cheddar has a nice small site. Great walking nearby, adequate facilities and a mix of hard or soft standings all behind the pub which has a vast menu but is very welcoming if all you fancy is a few cold ones. Only limit is that it’s for over 16s only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a nice camp site in sixpenny handley open all year nice showers and they have a bar and restaurant. Strictly speaking it’s in Dorset but it’s very handy for Salisbury plain and Stonehenge

Thanks for all the replies. Ended up going to Chew Valley in Somerset. It was a very nice site but feel slightly ripped off as they said they only had fully serviced pitches and all I wanted was hook up. I saw plenty of free standard hook pitches whilst there. Despite the site being quiet, well maintained with very clean facilities I feel £54 for 2 nights in January is extortionate.