Campsites. Southeast.

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
In 2019 we plan to finish our tour around the mainland coast of the UK. The gap in our tour is the Southeast from Harwich - south to Clacton-on-Sea to Burnham-on-Crouch to South-End-on-Sea and ending at Tilbury.

I am looking for recommendations for campsites long or close to that part of the coast. (preference smaller type sites with toilet). Also any recommendations of places to see along the route – castles/ historic places/nature reserves/lighthouses etc.

thanks, in advance.

In 2019 we plan to finish our tour around the mainland coast of the UK. The gap in our tour is the Southeast from Harwich - south to Clacton-on-Sea to Burnham-on-Crouch to South-End-on-Sea and ending at Tilbury.

I am looking for recommendations for campsites long or close to that part of the coast. (preference smaller type sites with toilet). Also any recommendations of places to see along the route – castles/ historic places/nature reserves/lighthouses etc.

thanks, in advance.
I live on your route between Burnham on Crouch and Southend and am just racking my brains on what I can recommend in this area!

We stayed at Chigboro Fisheries during the summer for a night which is close to Heybridge Basin, which we like. Only a couple of pubs, a Tiptree Jam tea room and the Lock tho, but still a nice spot, especially in good weather. The campsite is tiny with hook-up and only a couple of Toilets / Showers.

Maldon and Promenade Park are worth a visit.

Burnham is nice, again not a lot there, but you can have a nice walk along the rivers edge from the Marina.

If coming to Southend, head to the Seafront at Thorpe Bay and drive to Leigh on Sea Broadway and the old Town which is very popular spot for shellfish and cockles. On that route, a walk to the end of Southend Pier is a must as it's the longest pleasure pier in the world. Only thing is, there's not much at the end other than a cafe and the RNLI boathouse!! You may spot Jamie Oliver and a few stars filming if you're lucky (or not) depending on if you're a fan! I do find it slightly disappointing that the Cafe that he uses is only used for filming.

Towards Tilbury, there is a fairly recent Wildlife Centre that has a new cafe with viewing platform on the roof which over looks the Thames and the huge container port.

Tilbury Fort is meant to be interesting but have never been.

Hope this helps a little but it all depends on what you like.

Screenshot_20181115-173454_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20181115-175125_Maps.jpg

We spent Easter just south of Harwich.
We loved Mersea Island and camped at East Mersea. We will go back it was so peaceful and quiet, lovely walks and great seafood. Great bird watching.
Beth Chato's garden is small but perfectly formed, good all year If you like plants. We went down that way to go to RHS Hyde hall gardens which were very enjoyable.
Colchester is one of the oldest Roman towns (not much wall left at all...) it's nice by the Castle but the town is grotty elsewhere.
We really like Maldon when we drove through on our way to Heybridge basin. We would have liked to spend longer there but no campsites close. We stayed on a CL north west of Colchester.
We also went to Constable country and Flatford mill which looks just like the painting.
Hope this helps, finding good located campsites was a challenge.

thanks for your reply @Skylark2.0 Mersea island is on my list so will check out camp at East Mersea.
Check the tides before going to Mersea. The Strand is covered at high tide (not sure if that's just spring tides).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Check the tides before going to Mersea. The Strand is covered at high tide (not sure if that's just spring tides).
yes aware of that thanks, Saw a van stuck 1/2 way on saving lives at sea.

We stayed at park resorts now park dean I think at the martello tower sight at clacton/ jaywick border the tower is really worth a look, Holland on sea is nice along the cliff top near the sailing club. Walton on the Naze has campsite again at park resorts site near swimmingpool. There is nice walk up to naze and tower with art and tearoom then you can go in wildlife visitor centre look for fossils and walk all round opposite Harwich back to Walton town about 5 miles. we frequently visit east coast as we are at Chelmsford and these are my favourite places. You have also got Frinton which is a posh little town in contrast to Jaywick,. I'd stay at walton then you can visit the other places.

Should also mention a trip to the top of Battlesbridge Antique Centre is nice for a cuppa and a walk around a few of the antique shops.

Screenshot_20181117-192014_Gallery.jpg

Doubt you'll be able to get onto Foulness Island. Closed to the general public due to the bomb tests that they do.. They make my house shake on a regular basis.

They do open it up for the Foulness bike ride once a year which is a nice ride out.
Access is permitted on the rights of way when red flags are not flying. The only access to Foulness without specific permission is along the Broomway, and the only access to the Broomway without permission is along footpaths. So while the Broomway is open to all traffic, it is likely to be a bureaucratic nightmare to travel along it in any mechanically propelled vehicle.

Last edited:
We stayed at park resorts now park dean I think at the martello tower sight at clacton/ jaywick border the tower is really worth a look, Holland on sea is nice along the cliff top near the sailing club. Walton on the Naze has campsite again at park resorts site near swimmingpool. There is nice walk up to naze and tower with art and tearoom then you can go in wildlife visitor centre look for fossils and walk all round opposite Harwich back to Walton town about 5 miles. we frequently visit east coast as we are at Chelmsford and these are my favourite places. You have also got Frinton which is a posh little town in contrast to Jaywick,. I'd stay at walton then you can visit the other places.

Wonderful walks around the Naze. Great book "Secret Water" was set there, written by Arthur Ransom, of "Swallows and Amazon's fame.

Should also mention a trip to the top of Battlesbridge Antique Centre is nice for a cuppa and a walk around a few of the antique shops.

View attachment 39631
Interesting site, avoid in heavy rain. All the water flows down the hill to form a most around the loos....