Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can anyone recommend a good sat nav for Campervans.

Sonas

Sonas

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Any ideas from your experience which sat nav would suit the California best. An ordinary car one, or one specifically for Campers

Sonas

We just use a standard tom tom. Not top of the range but does the job just fine.

Garmin DriveSmart 50LMT-D Satellite Navigation with Full Europe Lifetime Maps and Traffic, 5 inch model. There is also a 6 inch model but more expensive.

I have used this model for some time and find it excellent - even finds things just by typing in the name and guidance is also excellent for my use
.I like the built in traffic and free updates too.

I use an app on my iPhone. Apple maps accepts lat-long, good for aire locations; it automatically stores your parking location (useful when shopping) and is also kept up to date and has lots of pois. Downside is needs data, which within EU is not a problem any more. Previously used a free app called Copilot. This needs no data, but maps not always up to date and has fewer pois. Very happy with either; used Copilot to drive from uk to southern Spain, used apple maps for a two week tour round Holland/Belgium/Germany this Easter.

Charles

I use tomtom its never let me down. If you had a larger camoer then you can also download and install a motohome version of the tomtom maps as well.

Just spotted this in weekly review, have a look at the via Michelin app for I phone, very usefull, and free

I use a combination of Waze, Google maps both via app connect and TomTom on android.

Each have their highs and lows.

Last edited:
We have both Garmin and TomTom units of various types. Mainly use the TomTom on trips as it has traffic on it. BUT on many counts I actually prefer Garmins as their response time is quicker (important at complex junctions) and the TomTom just seems to me a bit more buggy generally.

Also, the TomTom European maps datasets seem to have a lot of glitches and errors - although I haven't used the Garmins outside UK for a while to compare.

Overall I will prob go back to Garmin in future, for the above reasons.

As others have already said, I don't see a need for a special 'truck GPS' for Cali use. It can go pretty much anywhere a car can.

Cali doesn't have height or weight restrictions so car versions are OK.
I opted for a TomTom with live traffic and lifetime world maps etc. (product lifetime not mine sadly).
Has built in phone Sim so no call charges. Use a vent grill kit which puts it between the radio screen and instrument panel.
Get a 5 or 6" display and also the newest model for maximum lifetime update period.

agree with that bit

can't comment on that bit
I used my built in Sat Nav to get from Durham to Spain and must say its by far the best sat nav I have ever used, better than Range Rover one. As good as my Tom Toms or Garmin on the motorbike...

It didnt slip up at all. Programmed to avoid toll roads. Spot on. Love the zoom function... Superb.. I cant fault it at all (2017 Model Year)...

I have a Garmin 1400 which is a bit clunky but does have the benefit of campsites on it
I use this in combination with a sat nav on the passenger seat which, map on knees, provides running advice on, not only route but also speed, particularly if deemed excessive, driver errors including overtaking when considered unnecessary or hazardous, even on coffee breaks, toilet stops, and reproof at inadvertent bad language. But I wouldn't be without her of course!
Interestingly, since using the Garmin, violent discussions (rows) enroute have almost ceased as we both shout at the Garmin. So it has had a beneficial effect overall.

I've been using waze for a few weeks in France and the UK after reading about it on this thread. I like the simple look of it, especially because I need reading glasses at sat nav range, but it was pretty hopeless today in Brum, when the A38M from spaghetti junction into town was shut for roadworks. Some closures it knew about and some it didn't. Apple maps and google were better. I will persevere, but I'm not convinced.

I've always had TomTom, but we "upgraded" to the 6 inch Go. In bright sunlight, one cannot see TomTom navigation. In England, no problem given the usual weather, but driving on the Continent in summer, terrible. I use Google Maps and Michelin on my Smartphone when this happens. So my advice is to always buy a satnav for the Cali in very bright sunlight and see if you can actually see it!!!

I have the RNS 510. 1 always wanted a built in sat nav.
Unfortunately it doesn't always make the best choice of routes, even though it gives three choices. So I end up clipping my iPhone to the dash, and using Google , which works perfectly. I guess google can invest more in working out the routes.
. It sort of makes all the fancy Bluetooth phone connection unnecessary to.
In the future, not that I am likely to change, I would go for something g with app connect.

I have the RNS 510. 1 always wanted a built in sat nav.
Unfortunately it doesn't always make the best choice of routes, even though it gives three choices. So I end up clipping my iPhone to the dash, and using Google , which works perfectly. I guess google can invest more in working out the routes.
. It sort of makes all the fancy Bluetooth phone connection unnecessary to.
In the future, not that I am likely to change, I would go for something g with app connect.
Same here so I bought a Pioneer AVIC F930BT a few years back. Unfortunately the maps were soon outdated and they've only released a map update once in 2015 so not ideal. I do like the lance guidance system when leaving motorways etc, you can see exactly which lane you need to be in which is handy as some of the sliproads can be complicated in Europe with multiple splits.
What I have just bought for my work van is a Kenwood DMX7017DABS head unit which has android auto (and carplay) so by plugging in my phone I can use Google maps full screen with the sound coming out of the van speakers.
A much better solution IMO as it's always up to date and has always worked well for me. And Halfords fitted it for free which was a bonus!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Same here so I bought a Pioneer AVIC F930BT a few years back. Unfortunately the maps were soon outdated and they've only released a map update once in 2015 so not ideal. I do like the lance guidance system when leaving motorways etc, you can see exactly which lane you need to be in which is handy as some of the sliproads can be complicated in Europe with multiple splits.
What I have just bought for my work van is a Kenwood DMX7017DABS head unit which has android auto (and carplay) so by plugging in my phone I can use Google maps full screen with the sound coming out of the van speakers.
A much better solution IMO as it's always up to date and has always worked well for me. And Halfords fitted it for free which was a bonus!

Does it link with the parking sensors?

Does it link with the parking sensors?
Can't help with that I'm afraid as I don't have them on my work van.
It can be linked to a dash cam or rear camera so hopefully it could.