Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can anyone recommend sites on Anglesey?

Mr & Mrs B

Mr & Mrs B

One Life, Live It
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We've started to think about our travel plans for next year following Mr B's retirement. On one of our trips we want to visit Anglesey - can anyone recommend any good sites and any 'must see' things on the island. We've started our list but often recommendations from other travellers are more genuine than what the tourist industry recommends. Many thanks.

We've started to think about our travel plans for next year following Mr B's retirement. On one of our trips we want to visit Anglesey - can anyone recommend any good sites and any 'must see' things on the island. We've started our list but often recommendations from other travellers are more genuine than what the tourist industry recommends. Many thanks.
Depending on when you plan to travel it sounds as if Anglesey could be going into Lockdown because of an outbreak of C19 at a Chicken processing factory on the island, 400 or so cases amongst the workforce.

If you only go to one place on Anglesey, it has to be Llanddwyn Island at Newborough Warren, magical place :cool:
Thanks @Duxdeluxe - it does look lovely. we had been looking at the Newborough area so this should work well with our plans.

Depending on when you plan to travel it sounds as if Anglesey could be going into Lockdown because of an outbreak of C19 at a Chicken processing factory on the island, 400 or so cases amongst the workforce.
Hi @WelshGas - we're planning our trip in May/June next year but all plans will be quite fluid.

Where is a good campsite around there please?

Don’t know of any campsites near there, but we tend to stay at Hewitts campsite in Benlech, very very basic but amazing views across Red Wharf bay then across to the mountains of Snowdonia. Easy walk down to Benlech beach and a couple of pubs

The old copper Mines are an amazing landscape, like another planet!
E9234538-66C4-41E7-9118-707EE8174998.jpeg
Newborough beach also a must, especially if you take bikes, so you can get to the more remote parts away from the car park.

We haven’t been in the van yet. We stayed at Tai Hirion campsite in a tent which was lovely and had very good facilities, including a little honesty shop selling cheese from the farm. But most of the hardstandings were seasonal caravans and the electric grass pitches were in a row on a very open area so I’m not sure I’d choose there again in the van unless I could get a hardstanding, as they were nicer on the edge of the site!

The old copper Mines are an amazing landscape, like another planet!
View attachment 61360
Newborough beach also a must, especially if you take bikes, so you can get to the more remote parts away from the car park.

We haven’t been in the van yet. We stayed at Tai Hirion campsite in a tent which was lovely and had very good facilities, including a little honesty shop selling cheese from the farm. But most of the hardstandings were seasonal caravans and the electric grass pitches were in a row on a very open area so I’m not sure I’d choose there again in the van unless I could get a hardstanding, as they were nicer on the edge of the site!
Thanks @An-j

I can't help with campsites as we tend to go for stealth overnights (quite tricky on Anglesey) or else day trips from home, but there's plenty to go at on Anglesey, especially if you like coastal walking and scenery.

I agree with DuxDeluxe, the place we return to time and time again is Newborough / Llanddwyn / Maltraeth - beach, dunes, forest, rocks and geology, wildlife, it has so much and lots of scope for varied walks. If you can time the tide right try crossing the bay beyond the dunes out to Newborough Point.

But there's so much other fantastic coast. Holyhead Mountain and North Stack and South Stack are spectacular, and the RSPB have a visitor centre there. Other favourites of ours are the dunes and beach at Aberfraw and the section of coast up to Rhosneigr. Church Bay to Carmel Head in the north is good, and Cemlyn Bay which you might be able to time for the breeding tern colony. The coastal path from Red Wharf Bay towards Penmon and Puffin Island is interesting too.

And as An-j says, the old copper mine at Parys Mountain is quite amazing, the colours are just incredible.

Speaking of puffins, chances of seeing them vary, but there are boat trips out from Beaumaris, and Beaumaris Castle is impressive. Then there's Plas Nywedd (NT) on the Menai coast, a grand house and lovely grounds with red squirrels in residence. And just outside Llangefni there's the Oriel Ynys Mon - Oriel Kyffin Williams Gallery, a museum/gallery with cafe, shop etc.

Gosh, I can't wait for lockdown to ease to get back to some of these places...:cool:

I can't help with campsites as we tend to go for stealth overnights (quite tricky on Anglesey) or else day trips from home, but there's plenty to go at on Anglesey, especially if you like coastal walking and scenery.

I agree with DuxDeluxe, the place we return to time and time again is Newborough / Llanddwyn / Maltraeth - beach, dunes, forest, rocks and geology, wildlife, it has so much and lots of scope for varied walks. If you can time the tide right try crossing the bay beyond the dunes out to Newborough Point.

But there's so much other fantastic coast. Holyhead Mountain and North Stack and South Stack are spectacular, and the RSPB have a visitor centre there. Other favourites of ours are the dunes and beach at Aberfraw and the section of coast up to Rhosneigr. Church Bay to Carmel Head in the north is good, and Cemlyn Bay which you might be able to time for the breeding tern colony. The coastal path from Red Wharf Bay towards Penmon and Puffin Island is interesting too.

And as An-j says, the old copper mine at Parys Mountain is quite amazing, the colours are just incredible.

Speaking of puffins, chances of seeing them vary, but there are boat trips out from Beaumaris, and Beaumaris Castle is impressive. Then there's Plas Nywedd (NT) on the Menai coast, a grand house and lovely grounds with red squirrels in residence. And just outside Llangefni there's the Oriel Ynys Mon - Oriel Kyffin Williams Gallery, a museum/gallery with cafe, shop etc.

Gosh, I can't wait for lockdown to ease to get back to some of these places...:cool:
Thanks @MattC - this is really helpful with our planning.

There is a site at Moefre, quiet little village and the site sea veiws, coastal path, never stayed on the site so cant really comment as if I'm over that way i'll be in a boat.

tfyyn isaff is a lovely Canpsite with views of beach and the sea we went their last year and did a thread on our visit

We used to live in Llangoed. You quite often see people wild camping in the road out to Puffin Island just before Penmon, or down at Penmon Point (toll road £5) opposite Puffin Island on the edge of Puffin Sound. All truly majestic places with amazing views of either the straights with Snowdonia behind or Puffin Sound and the lighthouse itself. There’s also a little cafe down there.

Thanks @Duxdeluxe - it does look lovely. we had been looking at the Newborough area so this should work well with our plans.
If you're a dog owner remember no dogs allowed on Llanddwyn Island or the beach between there and the car park during the summer months. Still miles of beach and forest available though - photo is the huge beach to the north of the island. Those were the days.....
Can't help with campsites sorry - too close (although beyond our 5 mile lockdown limit..;-()

Stew

Llanddwyn.jpeg

I don't have the details with me, but there is a posh bistro restaurant near to Newborough beach. That restaurant has a basic but fully functional campsite. You can ride to the beach from there. Could possibly walk, although the parking places in the forest are good to set up for the day. Anyone help me with that restaurant name?

I don't have the details with me, but there is a posh bistro restaurant near to Newborough beach. That restaurant has a basic but fully functional campsite. You can ride to the beach from there. Could possibly walk, although the parking places in the forest are good to set up for the day. Anyone help me with that restaurant name?

The Marram Grass ?

Last edited:
The Marram Grass ?
That's the one. Well done! There is a campsite next door, same family (well was a few years ago when I stayed).
Site is fine, nothing to write home about, but very near the things discussed here.

I loved Blackthorn farm on Holy Island.

It was a completely magical setting. It had caravan pitches although we preferred the peace and views of the camping field.

I loved Blackthorn farm on Holy Island.

It was a completely magical setting. It had caravan pitches although we preferred the peace and views of the camping field.
Just found a photo from Blackthorn Farm.
Rather than another photo of the van this is one of the drinks celebrating our wedding anniversary!

Holy Island view.jpg

Back