Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can I book my Ocean on P&O Ferries as a Full Size Car?

Lalala

Lalala

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All

I am looking to book my Dover Calais ferry for next summer. I want flexible refundable tickets so I can adapt to any travel restrictions that may still be in place next Summer. In the past I have always booked DFDS as a high car. However DFDS prices seems to have gone up a lot post-COVID - it is now £150 each way for their refundable flexi fare. So I am now looking at P&O Ferries instead as it looks for the same price I can get a refundable ticket on the way out with +/- 4 hours flexibility and fully flexible ticket for the return as not yet sure if we want to go for 2 weeks of 3 weeks

So my questions is can I book as a Full size ( i.e. high ) car ? I've always done this with DFDS and never had a problem but not sure if P&O are the same. Has anybody had any bother booking as a car?

Many thanks in advance !
Lara

Hi All

I am looking to book my Dover Calais ferry for next summer. I want flexible refundable tickets so I can adapt to any travel restrictions that may still be in place next Summer. In the past I have always booked DFDS as a high car. However DFDS prices seems to have gone up a lot post-COVID - it is now £150 each way for their refundable flexi fare. So I am now looking at P&O Ferries instead as it looks for the same price I can get a refundable ticket on the way out with +/- 4 hours flexibility and fully flexible ticket for the return as not yet sure if we want to go for 2 weeks of 3 weeks

So my questions is can I book as a Full size ( i.e. high ) car ? I've always done this with DFDS and never had a problem but not sure if P&O are the same. Has anybody had any bother booking as a car?

Many thanks in advance !
Lara
Does P&O have a van/motor home section? I know with Brittany ferries they are Quite specific with the length and height of each vehicle. Even a bike rack is extra.

Hi All

Many thanks in advance !
Lara

P&O define a standard car as Size: Standard: <6m length; <1.83m height.

So expect the possibility of being turner away if you try to book as a car. After that, you have the options of van, minibus and motorhome.

So try "motorhome"?

They do have a motorhome option but it's more expensive (£356). If I book as a large car ( <6m length; >1.83m so well within cali dimensions) then it's only £289. I've always booked as a high car with DFDS and never had a problem. I've just never used P&O before . Ferries seem a lot more expensive next year which doesn't help I usually pay c. £100 each each for a flexi fare !

I think you will struggle with a max height of 1.83m. Have you tried booking thru A Ferry? You can be quite specific with your dimensions. I usually use them and have had no problems.
1606138136279.png

Thank you - I'll look at aferry although with everything going on would rather not book via 3rd party
The height is greater than 1.83cm not max height . i've put in height 2.2 and length 5m and they have been accepted.

In the past I’ve booked P&O direct several times as Car 1.8 - 2.4m h & ≤ 6 m l

Thank you - I'll look at aferry although with everything going on would rather not book via 3rd party
The height is greater than 1.83cm not max height . i've put in height 2.2 and length 5m and they have been accepted.
Do you not have a bike rack? even folded I think it takes you over the 5m length.

Hmmm, very odd. I just got this result for a std car.
1606145162490.png

Why do we get these posts, please just book your Cali for what it is rather than have the hassle of being pulled up at check in for the sake of saving a few pound

Last edited:
Why do we get these posts, please just book your Cali for what it is rather than have the hassle of being pulled up and check in for the sake of saving a few pound
You make a good point. I usually go on the route I want at the time I want and pay for a Cali. I guess that's why AFerry suits me best. It does what it says on the tin kind of approach.

I agree too, we tried our luck with Brittany Ferries a few years back, we ended up having to pay an excess on check-in at the rate on the day so we actually ended up paying more than we would of done if we chose the correct vehicle in the first place. Lesson learnt!

It is really not worth taking the risk they all have different sections for different vehicles. I know that some vehicle length categories are much longer And higher than the California but that’s how it is. Brittany ferries is much more specific compared to DFDS and P&O but if you don’t want any unpleasant surprises you must make sure you get it right.

You may get away with it on a half-full out of season ferry but may not in the summer on a full ship logistically over heights have to be juggled to fit due to deck levels and ramps. So they have put the booked over-heights and lorries up the middle and you turn up and are not booked as over-height do not moan if turned away. It is many years since I work with cross channel ferries out of Southampton and the ships were smaller but that is how it worked then.

I think I’ve confused everyone. The Cali will easily fits the dimension of a large car as its max length 6m and max height 1.8m . My question is can I book as car or do I need to book as a motor home ?

on Aferry the price is the same for a car and if I put explicitly as a California. Unfortunately I dont want to book with aferry as I want the fully flexible fare which is only available direct

P&O defines a van as “vehicles built for commercial purpose with either (part of) the rear panelled and/or a load carrying space” so the Cali is clearly not a Van in this instance

unfortunately P&O says nothing about what a motor home is or isn’t and their call centre is closed due to COVID . my V5 says the Cali is “diesel car “ with body type “motor caravan “ so it really was a genuine question not trying to cheat the system . Can I book as a car with dimensions that easily exceed the size of the Cali or do I need to book as motor home ‍♀️

Sorry edit max height is > 1.8

I think I’ve confused everyone. The Cali will easily fits the dimension of a large car as its max length 6m and max height 1.8m . My question is can I book as car or do I need to book as a motor home ?

on Aferry the price is the same for a car and if I put explicitly as a California. Unfortunately I dont want to book with aferry as I want the fully flexible fare which is only available direct

P&O defines a van as “vehicles built for commercial purpose with either (part of) the rear panelled and/or a load carrying space” so the Cali is clearly not a Van in this instance

unfortunately P&O says nothing about what a motor home is or isn’t and their call centre is closed due to COVID . my V5 says the Cali is “diesel car “ with body type “motor caravan “ so it really was a genuine question not trying to cheat the system . Can I book as a car with dimensions that easily exceed the size of the Cali or do I need to book as motor home ‍♀

If you had a Beach, possibly. But an Ocean! I think they would notice , ask about the gas supply , followed by a request for an additional payment or a refusal to board.

If you had the new Vw Caddy California with cooking pod, would
you also book it in as a motorhome the same as a Winnebago?

I've always booked as a car with roof box on the tunnel.
Got pulled up once when i didn't fill in the API info, and she
was a right jobsworth cow.

If you had the new Vw Caddy California with cooking pod, would
you also book it in as a motorhome the same as a Winnebago?

Don't think that's quite the point though is it...
From what I've picked up over the years, the tunnel seem much more relax about it, even being told by the staff on board we could've bought a cheaper ticket. The ferries seem to be more on it.
We, like others, wouldn't risk it...

Don't think that's quite the point though is it...
From what I've picked up over the years, the tunnel seem much more relax about it, even being told by the staff on board we could've bought a cheaper ticket. The ferries seem to be more on it.
We, like others, wouldn't risk it...
I would probably book it on as a Van and if i were to be confronted say that
the van broke down on the way, that's why i'm in this sh1t Cali :D

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
I would probably book it on as a Van and if i were to be confronted say that
the van broke down on the way, that's why i'm in this sh1t Cali :D
Sometimes Commercial vehicles are charged even more.

unfortunately P&O says nothing about what a motor home is or isn’t and their call centre is closed due to COVID . my V5 says the Cali is “diesel car “ with body type “motor caravan “ so it really was a genuine question not trying to cheat the system . Can I book as a car with dimensions that easily exceed the size of the Cali or do I need to book as motor home ‍♀

Am I missing something here, your saying
"The Cali will easily fits the dimension of a large car as its max length 6m and max height 1.8m . My question is can I book as car or do I need to book as a motor home ?"

A Cali is higher than 1.8m isn't it, so couldn't in this instance be classed as large car?

The reason is will it fit on the car deck ramps, I must admit in my ferry experience some of the car ferry ramps are seem very low I am not too sure I would risk getting directed on to one of them in a Cali.. buts that's me.

Last edited:
Our friends who have a converted commercial T5, but with a second row of seats qualify as a large car (the second row of seats is key to this), however in a California I have spoken to P&O customer service and they said due to the gas being plumbed in, a California is classed as a motorhome.
I was surprised that even during Covid an agent at the Eurotunnel terminal popped his head in the back to check the gas valve was shut off.

I’ve also used A-Ferry as an intermediary as they ask you to specify your exact vehicle. Removes any anxiety. Also found their pricing competitive and ticketing / customer services top notch (all of which, if you book isn’t to be taken for granted with ferry companies).

There was a typo in previous post which I can't edit directly. Sorry. To clarify the full size car option is plenty big enough in both height ( max height greater than 1.83m ) and length ( less than 6m ) . See screenshot attached.
Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 09.15.54.png
The van option is not relevant. P&O T&Cs are really clear on this that their definition of a van is a "vehicle built for commercial purposes ... with either rears panels and/or loading space " and is subsequently the most expensive options

I can't use aferry unfortunately as I want the fully flexi / open return ticket which aferry do not offer.

So my options are "car" or "motorhome" . My V5 suggests my Cali is a "diesel car" with "motor caravan" body type.

Given the debate, I've sent P&O an email for clarification I will let you know what they say. Unfortunately they have closed their call centre.

I’ve been to Ireland twice in my Ocean, with Irish ferries i booked it as a van and on p and o as a large car. Both times got on no problem.

Back