Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can I disable a single rear park sensor?

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have a fixed towbar with protection shield in front of the ball hitch.

Every time I reverse or switch on the parking sensor, the signal and display goes berserk because the central rear parking sensor picks up the towbar as an obstruction.

So, can I simply disable the central rear parking sensor?

Thanks

I have a fixed towbar with protection shield in front of the ball hitch.

Every time I reverse or switch on the parking sensor, the signal and display goes berserk because the central rear parking sensor picks up the towbar as an obstruction.

So, can I simply disable the central rear parking sensor?

Thanks
Is this a factory fitted and coded Towbar?

Yes is factory fitted and coded. Sensors are deactivated when towbar is fitted.

I just want to deactivate the central rear sensor so that is stops telling me that I am very very close to an obstruction - where this obstruction is just the ball hitch protection plate.

I still want the remaing 4 rear sensors to work normally.

I wondered whether I can simply unplug the central sensor?

Yes is factory fitted and coded. Sensors are deactivated when towbar is fitted.

I just want to deactivate the central rear sensor so that is stops telling me that I am very very close to an obstruction - where this obstruction is just the ball hitch protection plate.

I still want the remaing 4 rear sensors to work normally.

I wondered whether I can simply unplug the central sensor?
On my T5.1 I only have 4 sensors at the rear. All factory fitted as was the Towbar.
No central sensor.
I do not believe unplugging a sensor will work. The system will just stop working.

I presume you have a fixed rather than a removable tow hitch?
Do you have a spacer fitted?
If you take off the tow hitch but keep the protection plate, do you still have the problem?
If you still have the problem, take off the plate and put the tow hitch back on. Any difference?

You can try unplugging the one sensor but it will likely throw up a fault - try it and see first.

Back