Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can I remove headrests in back?

W

Whitwellblue

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We only use our van for the two of us and find the rear headrests to be a nuisance. They interfere with visibility if they’re up, and get in the way of storage if folded down.
Is it possible (or legal) to remove them?

Yes you can but it's definitely not a five minute job. Search the forum for 'headrests', there's a lot of how-to threads about it.

I removed mine definitely not a easy job, got to tap out some taper pins need the right size drift to do it. Think you require the headrests for the MOT.

We only use our van for the two of us and find the rear headrests to be a nuisance. They interfere with visibility if they’re up, and get in the way of storage if folded down.
Is it possible (or legal) to remove them?
I would check with your Local MOT garage. If V5c says 4 seats then those 4 seats must each abide by the regulations. As far as Headrests are concerned, I'm not sure.

I would check with your Local MOT garage. If V5c says 4 seats then those 4 seats must each abide by the regulations. As far as Headrests are concerned, I'm not sure.
That is a good point, my van passed its mot a couple of months ago without the headrests

Can you not simply fold them back? Like you need to when using the downstairs bed.

That is a good point, my van passed its mot a couple of months ago without the headrests

AFAIK there's no MOT requirement to have head restraints on any seats. They only have to be (a) secure and (b) not be defective in structure, and (c) the backrest must be able to be secured in the upright position.

Can you not simply fold them back? Like you need to when using the downstairs bed.

I find they do get in the way when the seats are folded completely flat and you’ve got luggage in the rear

We do fold them back but it’s a pain as we have a mattress topper on the back shelf. They are redundant as we never travel with passengers, so it seems dumb to carry something we don’t need.

Back