Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can I tow a trailer over 750kg ?

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi, despite I'll ask the question to DVLA, I'd like to know what you think about it (i don't know how long will take the answer from DVLA).

The context: I'm a Spaniard expax, British resident. My driving license, still Spanish, is B and I got it in 1987... can I tow in my Cali a trailer biggerw than 750kg?

I would like to swap my Spanish license for a British one and I don't know whether I automatcally get a B+E or just a B.

Is the correct answer is "don't get too excited, you will get a B one", I'll need to get the B+E (geting trained and passing wthe test) so I guess by doing that I'll get directly the British one (no need to ask for the British B one and then pass the test for B+E)

Have someone done that before?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help

On a post 1997 uk licence I believe you can tow on a standard car licence without the trailer bit within the following rules

1 - the trailer must be lighter that the car and not exceed the the stated towing capacity of the car on the V5

2 - the whole rig must not exceed 3500kg (if more you need the trailer licence)

I often think about this as I wonder how many younger caravaners are breaking the law as keeping the all up weight of car and van below 3500lg is getting hard with the weight of modern caravans. I wonder how many of these people have the trailer licence (think land rover discovery and a big ish van and you are easily over 3500kg)

Pre 1997 rules are different but I don't know how as I didn't look them up as it doesn't apply to our household.

Not sure that quite right, the rules changed slightly:

1. the trailer does not have to be lighter than the car !
2. the rig must not exceed 4250kg - but in this case the car must be below 3500kg and the trailer under 750kg i.e. a 3100kg cali can still tow a 750kg trailer
3. Its all on the plated weights not what things actually weigh. So an empty 3500kg trailer weighing 500kg cannot be towed behind a California on just a "B" license
4. You will only get a "B" license when you change

Got response from DVLA..... I have to pass the B+E test despite I've got my Spanish B license driving in 1987, so I'll start the process. I've read a little and looks like I could get it in a weekend?

Back