Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can someone identify this car component?!

A

AndyK

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hi,

My father is need of a car component for his California T5 and I'm hoping to get it replaced for his upcoming birthday. However I know very little about the car itself and was hoping you guys can help.

I've attached a picture of the component. I believe it forms part of the roof rack? Perhaps the gear for rolling out the roof?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind regards,
Jerry

1596997480628396998-account_id=1.jpg

is it a wind up

Reactions: wyn
is it a wind up
User name Andy, signs off as Jerry, shows a Union Jack as his location but has registered as being in Taiwan.
Perhaps it's Donald Trump making sure the Russians can't identify him?

Hopefully just a nice lad trying to help his Dad out.

Haha. It is. I've signed up as my dad hoping to hand over the account to him once I get to the bottom of this.
I'm based in UK while dad lives in Taipei where it isn't always easy getting components for T5 (I think VW stop servicing the model there)

Thanks for the response so far! Forgot to ask in my initial thread where I can purchase the component from?

Many thanks
Jerry (on behalf of his dad Andy)

User name Andy, signs off as Jerry, shows a Union Jack as his location but has registered as being in Taiwan.
Perhaps it's Donald Trump making sure the Russians can't identify him?

Hopefully just a nice lad trying to help his Dad out.

this.

Is your Dad's T5 a real California? If it's a normal T5 that has been converted, we will be able to help better by knowing the make of the 'wind out awning' ....if that's what it's from. Highly likely to be a Fiamma, who are good on spare bits.

...so you just found this in your Cali ...?

Sorry............But I will ask the man I get in to change my lightbulb!

I hope someone can help this guy. He's taking a lot of banter with good humour so I think it will be nice if we can help him out.

No good asking me of course, I've never been able to tell a big end from a preston north end .... :oops:

I hope someone can help this guy.
So do I GJ, but he needs to help us help him by providing a few more clues.

Edit: maybe The Grand Tour (aka Top Gear) want to use this thread as inspiration for a regular feature in the show?

It obviously rotates so probably forms part of the gears to raise the manual roof; similar to the winding gear on the old manual sunroofs (remember them?). I don't think that would be present on the electric elevating roof because that is lifted by hydraulics. I wonder what the problem is? Missing teeth?

Probably best if you ask your Dad roughly where it came from, and then wait for one of the VW technicians that posts here to look it up on the parts system.

I've checked the Fiamma & Thule awning parts diagrams it there's nothing similar on either of those, but I can't find an exploded view of the Cali roof mechanism to check what's there.

Bon chance.

OP, if the part is genuine VW then almost certainly there will be a VW part number on it. Ask your dad to look for a number usually nine numeric plus maybe one or two alpha characters. Once you have that identification will be simple.

Rod

Anything is possible : maybe in the rotation mechanism of the front seat backrest ? Is there a prize for who can guess what it is ?

Last edited:
It obviously rotates so probably forms part of the gears to raise the manual roof; similar to the winding gear on the old manual sunroofs (remember them?). I don't think that would be present on the electric elevating roof because that is lifted by hydraulics. I wonder what the problem is? Missing teeth?

The manual roof on the Beach is lifted by gas struts, no gears or any winding gears are involved.

If the part was found underneath the vehicle it could be a planet gear out of the diff, especially with all that oil on it.
Although highly unlikely because all drive would have been lost and I think he might have noticed that and mentioned it!