Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can we have a heated debate?

Steve&Bev

Steve&Bev

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
This question may help clear things up or confuse further, for which I sincerely apologise, and is related to the two standard independent diesel powered heaters in the T6 California Ocean. I have read the threads but detect, from some replies, that some owners may not fully understand both systems. I hope there is a simple yes/no reply to this question, if not, I need to either do more reading or wait until I receive my very own order. Is it possible to have the Webasto engine coolant heater on, operated by the key fob remote, at the same time as the Eberspacher heater, operated by the interior control panel?

The engine heater is automatic as delivered from the factory and not controlled by the supplied fob. It will come on after the engine is started below 5C I think, and you have no control over this, as factory installed.

In this configuration, the answer to your question is: maybe. If it is cold enough out that the engine heater automatically lights and at the same time you select the parking heater to on, they should then both be running.

You can (and I intend to) get a remote control kit which will allow you to operate the engine heater at your discretion, instead of automatically. Separate fob and separate system. The supplied fob is not for the engine heater, it is only for the parking heater.

Hope that didn't ramble too much.

The engine heater is automatic as delivered from the factory and not controlled by the supplied fob. It will come on after the engine is started below 5C I think, and you have no control over this, as factory installed.

In this configuration, the answer to your question is: maybe. If it is cold enough out that the engine heater automatically lights and at the same time you select the parking heater to on, they should then both be running.

You can (and I intend to) get a remote control kit which will allow you to operate the engine heater at your discretion, instead of automatically. Separate fob and separate system. The supplied fob is not for the engine heater, it is only for the parking heater.

That’s interesting burnercan about the remote kit for engine heater . Do you have any details ? I always like to run the parking heater at least once a month even in the summer as they like to be run ( we have had several on boats ) and was always concerned that you can’t do that with the auto engine heater .

Thanks for the reply, I thought the remote worked the the engine heater, I see now.

Can someone enlighten me - what does the Webasto Coolant Heater do / achieve, when will I appreciate this? Thanks

Can someone enlighten me - what does the Webasto Coolant Heater do / achieve, when will I appreciate this? Thanks
The Webasto heats the water in the engine and automatically starts when the engine is running and the temperature is low outside. It is not related to the parking heater that keeps you warm at night and is operated by the control panel inside or by a key fob remote.
It is possible to get a remote to turn on the Webasto heater (thanks Andy) which would be a better option if you want to heat the engine, and therefore the van, prior to driving off in cold weather. So, and in response to my question, you could have the Webasto engine heater and the Eberspacher interior parking heater on at the same time. I wonder how many Ocean owners realised this.

I have installed Webasto Telestart T100 HTM to my Webasto ThermoTop C (engine heater/coolant heater). I therefore have two remote controls, one to each Webasto. This enable me to start the Webasto (coolant heater) up to two hours before I start the car, which is handy in Norway where I live (often below -20 Celsius degrees in the winter). I put the fan to the passenger compartment off to divert all heat to the engine. If I stop at a store the Webasto keeps on going even with the engine off. I don’t think start/stop over and over again is good for the soot load in the burner. The automatics still works to, which is nice if someone borrow the car.
If we want to heat the passenger compartment with the engine off the most efficient way to do that is off course the auxiliary heater, in my case Webasto AirTop 3500ST. But sometimes I also use it when driving, if it’s really cold or I want to start it right before I arrives to my destination to winter camp (save the batteries).
I have also had both Webasto completely of the car for maintenance (replace glow plug and burner). They where full of soot at 180 kkm. I suspect this new biodiesel to produce more soot than the old type of diesel, but I don’t know for sure.

One thing to bear in mind with the coolant heater, it runs off the engine battery unlike the Auxiliary (night heater) that runs off the leisure batteries.
All any of the telestart kits do is apply 12v to pin 1, I think, on the heater wiring plug. So it would be possible to make some sort of control up if one is electronically minded.
Google "telestart T91" for more info.

Last edited:
Really tempted to get something but if it indeed only applies 12v seems a bit steep.

All any of the telestart kits do is apply 12v to pin 1

Do you know if the heater control module needs to be flashed before it will take this 12v input? Also, is this a momentary input or a constant 12v all the while the heater is running?

Do you know if the heater control module needs to be flashed before it will take this 12v input? Also, is this a momentary input or a constant 12v all the while the heater is running?
It has to be flashed with the software supplied in the telestart kit so that it also starts up the circulation pump and blower.

This question may help clear things up or confuse further, for which I sincerely apologise, and is related to the two standard independent diesel powered heaters in the T6 California Ocean. I have read the threads but detect, from some replies, that some owners may not fully understand both systems. I hope there is a simple yes/no reply to this question, if not, I need to either do more reading or wait until I receive my very own order. Is it possible to have the Webasto engine coolant heater on, operated by the key fob remote, at the same time as the Eberspacher heater, operated by the interior control panel?
Yes. If its below 5 degrees the webasto will fire up to heat the coolant. You could then in theory fire up the eberspacher air heater yourself. Hence now both heaters are running. So the answer is yes. But you have no control over the engine webasto coolant heater.

What happens if the temp stays below 5%? Does the engine webasto coolant heater run non-stop (or is it an intermittent warm up)? Does that have any impact on the main battery, if say the van is parked up somewhere cold for an extended period?

What happens if the temp stays below 5%? Does the engine webasto coolant heater run non-stop (or is it an intermittent warm up)? Does that have any impact on the main battery, if say the van is parked up somewhere cold for an extended period?

The engine coolant heater will fire up automatically on starting the engine, it will stay running until the engine oil / coolant temperature has achieved normal running temperature, it will then cut out regardless of the outside temp being below 4 degrees Celsius (When and at what stage the engine / coolant temperature cut out happens I have no idea, nor do I know if the temperature cut out is taken from the engine oil temp or coolant temp as this happens whilst I drive, but it does work very well on cold start).

No

Should have little to no effect on the Engine Battery as it only starts when the engine is running with the Alternator supplying the power.
If it has been modified to run separately, before Engine start, then it will have an impact on the Engine Battery.