Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can you beat my new 9 minute record?

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Had a very helpful chap call me today from BT regarding the speed of my home internet connection. We talked about my setup and then what download/upload/ping speeds I was getting. We talked about what devices I was using to access the internet, wired and wireless, etc, etc.
I strung him a load of fibs and after 9 minutes advised him that my broadband was not provided by BT.
He hung up immediately :)
Scamming the scammers is such fun.
Can anybody beat 9 minutes?

Had a very helpful chap call me today from BT regarding the speed of my home internet connection. We talked about my setup and then what download/upload/ping speeds I was getting. We talked about what devices I was using to access the internet, wired and wireless, etc, etc.
I strung him a load of fibs and after 9 minutes advised him that my broadband was not provided by BT.
Think that I did by saying that my Computer needed switching on followed by a series of leaving the phone for a while then saying that it's a bit slow loading up. caller eventually wasn't there when i picked the phone up. think that I made and had a coffee during the process.

As you say, if time to spare, some fun to be had as repayment for the intrusion.

Good going!

Here's a target for you - a Twitch streamer/Youtuber called Kitboga does "scambaiting" for a living. His record is 36 hours (over several days). It's fascinating, he has a background in software programming so has created a virtual machine, fake bank accounts and uses voice changers.

His thought is that for however long he keeps them on the phone for is time that they can't be scamming someone vulnerable.

Na, the best of mine have been about 30 seconds with a few choice words thrown in. I shall set this as a target next time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Managed about 10 mins too, got to the point where she wanted me to download Team Viewer and said I was recording the call for the police. Her tone very quickly changed, got a FO, then she hung up.

Don't have use my landline any longer as the only calls I recieved were scammers.

Easy chaps, they’ve the same as you and I , normal people just earning a wage………..oh hang on……..errr sorry. Bunch of losers!!

Managed about 10 mins too, got to the point where she wanted me to download Team Viewer and said I was recording the call for the police. Her tone very quickly changed, got a FO, then she hung up.

Don't have use my landline any longer as the only calls I recieved were scammers.
Yes, questioning the value of my landline too. Might get rid.

I tend to adopt a number of different tactics depending on my mood and desire for sport. If they claim to be calling from BT I like to chat about BT and ask which office they are based in (funny it’s always BTs registered company address) then when they start getting grumpy I reminisce about my career with GPO/PO/BT/OPENREACH. If they haven’t got bored and hung up I then ask what their OUC or EIN is ….. They normally give up and clear down.
I try to be civil and remember they are probably in a far worse position than me.

Really wouldn’t waste my breath, only two words required and the second one is OFF.

2 seconds max, 2nd word is 'off'.

Then block the number on BT Call Protect.
As far as blocking the numbers we tried that until we found every number they use is different. I have no idea how they get round it but the do.

Can be even more fun when they realise you don’t have a Windows system.
I do the usual stringing them along chat then when they ask me to log on explain that my laptop is in another building……. “just hang on I’ll get it!”…

As far as blocking the numbers we tried that until we found every number they use is different. I have no idea how they get round it but the do.
It’s called “number spoofing“ the dodgy callers have equipment that generates caller identity numbers that appear on your phone. The kit is pretty sophisticated as I’ve had it where the number displayed on my phone is even from the same area code and first 3 digits as my exchange number range.

Happened this morning. I just say "Oh let me just switch the record button on." They're gone! :thumb

Does anyone have an ambition to work in a call centre?

I initially gave them the short shrift, but felt bad afterwards, tactic now
is that no one answers the landline unless its a local -ish number
or the number is recognised.

Last one that I had I turned the table and asked her where she was,
what time of day it was in India and what she was having for lunch.
She told me what she was having and where she was going and it
sounded nice.
It threw her off course but she was happy to hang up.

Had one that phoned me back and complained that I was rude to him.
All I’d said was No thank you and hung up.
Must have been new at the job.

We've not had a land line for years, but got a free cordless phone with a new broadband contract with BT so thought why not. I now know why as the only calls we got were scammers.

We've not had a land line for years, but got a free cordless phone with a new broadband contract with BT so thought why not. I now know why as the only calls we got were scammers.
Well you'll soon be getting them on your mobile. Are you going to give that up when they start?

Had one that phoned me back and complained that I was rude to him.
All I’d said was No thank you and hung up.
Must have been new at the job.
I had the same thing happen from one tele-marketer years ago. It was extremely annoying since they have the upper hand knowing my phone number and me knowing nothing about them. They actually called me back twice after me politely telling them I was not interested. The second time I just left the phone off the hook. I no longer have a home phone…

2 seconds max, 2nd word is 'off'.

Then block the number on BT Call Protect.
I did that once, after stubbing my toe on route to picking up the phone. I received a call back a hour or so later, with the caller saying, " You ------- off to ". It had obviously upset him. I wonder if he works in a call centre now?

Well you'll soon be getting them on your mobile. Are you going to give that up when they start?
Obviously not... Use the mobile for all calls, landline was there as a test and proved a waste of time. No issues with signals here as live more or less in the city centre.

Back