Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CandMC rules

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Not sure if these are new rules but just noticed in the latest CandMC magazine that they do not allow Daisy Chain Hook-Up Leads or Hook-Up Cable Splitters.
I have a 25m cable so the daisy chaining rule doesn’t affect me but I know some members have, for example, a 10m and a 15m cable to offer flexibility.
I do have a splitter to afford me a 3-pin mains socket in the awning without running a cable from inside the van. Mind you, have only used this twice.
Anybody seen these restrictions at non CandMC sites?

Not sure if these are new rules but just noticed in the latest CandMC magazine that they do not allow Daisy Chain Hook-Up Leads or Hook-Up Cable Splitters.
I have a 25m cable so the daisy chaining rule doesn’t affect me but I know some members have, for example, a 10m and a 15m cable to offer flexibility.
I do have a splitter to afford me a 3-pin mains socket in the awning without running a cable from inside the van. Mind you, have only used this twice.
Anybody seen these restrictions at non CandMC sites?

Yes, a couple of places including the other club. I normally carry 15 and 10 so I have been told off before... or in the case of the warder at Burrs park, Bury got a public dressing down until I less than politely interrupted him to inform him that as a member I could be viewed as both a customer and his employer.

I got told off for not wearing a mask in the open air.
It wasn't allowed to go to the toilet without a mask.

So I peed my pants.

I don't know why u all persist wth these pathetic clubs. Been there,done that, never again. I'm a 50 year old man and an engineer. I don't need telling by hv vest wearing bell ends how to plug in a cable and how to park a van. They do not get my money anymore. And their pathetic tyre pressure mmagazines. Jesus

They do also explain why multiple cables aren't permitted.

A simple safety issue of the connection not being waterproof. There are waterproof boxes available but mean more bulk to transport.

A simple safety issue of the connection not being waterproof. There are waterproof boxes available but mean more bulk to transport.
According to the Warder at Burrs park, upheld by Grimstead towers, even with weather boxes they are still not allowed.

So simple ignorance on their part then?
Blue commando plug/sockets are IP44 minimum rated so perfectly adequate for external use.

So simple ignorance on their part then?
Blue commando plug/sockets are IP44 minimum rated so perfectly adequate for external use.
IP44 is not adequate for a connection sitting in a puddle. Makes sense for the rules to cater for the stupidest of customers (or wardens enforcing it) rather than relying on them having an ounce of common sense.

By doing a blanket "no connections", it makes it far easier to police & absolves the warden of having to decide whether something meets the requirements.

Its exactly the same on most decent run building sites, there are things that are completely banned that you wouldn't hesitate to use at home.
Stepladders are banned from all the projects I'm working on, we used to allow 2 step ones, that was until someone was caught using a six step one with 4 steps removed, he said it met the rules!

You have to assume half the customers are idiots & that the other half are clever enough to find a different interpretation of the rules. So keep the rules clear & simple.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s the rules that are the problem on these sites, it’s more the way they are enforced by a over officious hi-viz who feels it’s essential to treat you like a child.

“JUST TELL ME THE F****NG PITCH NUMBER AND LET ME FIND IT”

I don’t think it’s the rules that are the problem on these sites, it’s more the way they are enforced by a over officious hi-viz who feels it’s essential to treat you like a child.

“JUST TELL ME THE F****NG PITCH NUMBER AND LET ME FIND IT”
That just proves you don't use CMHC sites - you choose your own pitch & tell them the number.

The tedious bit is listening to the pitching instructions about corner to the peg etc etc.

If the clubs are asking people to use only one cable length, personally I’d suck it up.

When using any site, of any brand, the site wardens on the ground will most probably not have the technical knowledge about certain matters, that we as individuals, may have. Whilst it can be frustrating, I understand that they have an important role on sites, and they by and large do this role diligently and with good humour (in my experience). In any organisation or trade, rules and policies are set through experience and interpretation of regulations. These are usually set centrally, and the outcomes often checked / audited to ensure understanding and compliance on the ground. It’s how the world works. Railing against individuals on sites, who are applying these policies properly is futile and potentially inflammatory.

I’d suggest that if, on a site we visit, or club we belong to, we see it is misinformed on regulations or the application of safe systems, then as members / customers I contend that it’s our moral responsibility to speak up and highlight this. Like - “do you know your fire escape is blocked by stacks of drinks?”

That just proves you don't use CMHC sites - you choose your own pitch & tell them the number.

The tedious bit is listening to the pitching instructions about corner to the peg etc etc.

Which is getting more and more prevalent on independent sites. The "6 metre" firebreak rule is becoming a serious issue with many where in the past it was quite relaxed.

Last July I had a site manager at a lovely site in Cumbria come over to me just as I was unpacking table and chairs and asked me to move a couple of feet more to the left.

I could not help But ask "why doesn't he just plonk a peg in the ground and ask everyone to park corner to it" :shocked

Normally told which pitches are available and to let them know which we choose. When they start on about parking I just point out I have a California so I'll be parking front N/S to peg as door on drivers side. Never had a problem.

Which is getting more and more prevalent on independent sites. The "6 metre" firebreak rule is becoming a serious issue with many where in the past it was quite relaxed.

Last July I had a site manager at a lovely site in Cumbria come over to me just as I was unpacking table and chairs and asked me to move a couple of feet more to the left.

I could not help But ask "why doesn't he just plonk a peg in the ground and ask everyone to park corner to it" :shocked
:)

Things can go wrong. Here’s my friends Mercedes which burst into flames last month! Lots of damage to his Eriba parked nearby.

7200DDA8-29BB-46A1-A521-DB8CF24218DA.jpeg

:)

Things can go wrong. Here’s my friends Mercedes which burst into flames last month! Lots of damage to his Eriba parked nearby.

View attachment 101258

I have no problem with the spacing. In many ways the other way around on some sites where they took a relaxed view and I found myself parked a few feet from next door's BBQ which was threatening to set light to the local forestry. The fire at the CAMC Broadway site a few years ago had a flame spread of 3.5 metres either way and could easily have spread but for strict spacing rules.

My point is that so many knock the club for "it's rules" but in fact has no more rules than anyone else, just a bit more professional in applying them.

I'm just going to reply to a @WelshGas post as well. Another instance where the club shows far more flexibility than many independents.

Normally told which pitches are available and to let them know which we choose. When they start on about parking I just point out I have a California so I'll be parking front N/S to peg as door on drivers side. Never had a problem.

Another instance where both clubs show far more flexibility than many independents.

I use pitch-up quite a lot and it's incredible how many sites have the caveat "No continental vans or caravans".

I had an amusing conversation with a site owner near Newark that had a complete veto on continental caravans and continental "motorhomes" were at her discretion.

"So I can't come here with my Sister then? She has a Knaus caravan".

"Definitely not. You will both be facing the wrong way".

"Not really. We will reverse her caravan in and put my van in nose first. Then we are facing each other".

Stunned silence followed by point blank refusal.

What a lot of fuss over listening to a poor chap in a vest who is trying his best to be fair and equal to everyone having probably experienced the best and worst in people on a loop every 24h hours.

We have stayed on both sites, are members of both and have zero issues with using a single cable or parking where told. Having been kept awake several times at 2am by "van life" pillocks, quite happy for someone else to have to shout at them and keep my baseball bat in the drawer.

For many (myself included ;) ) I would point to the Dunning-Kruger effect - where highly skilled and intelligent people assume that things that are easy for them are also easy or obvious for others. For every person here who knows and understands what it means to be a decent camper, there are another 20 waiting in the wings who don't give a flying hoot. We only have to deal with ourselves, the red vesters have to deal with all 21.

Take the 5 minutes, smile, thank the man/woman for doing their job under what is usually trying circumstances, get on with the day.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed on a few CAMC sites recently they’ve adopted a new system of ‘park anywhere within 2 pegs’ and they don’t mind which way the van is parking, which is really simple. I think this is a trial, so we might see it on more of their sites next year.

I’ve noticed on a few CAMC sites recently they’ve adopted a new system of ‘park anywhere within 2 pegs’ and they don’t mind which way the van is parking, which is really simple. I think this is a trial, so we might see it on more of their sites next year.
yes I have noticed this too. I asked specifically about the direction of parking with a 'continental' van + awning and those sites with twin pegs often have the pitches spaced so it actually doesn't matter, as so long as the awning remains within the hard standing-ish then the spacing is maintained on both sides anyway.

Whilst having a chuckle at @GrumpyGranddad and his "Hook up at the CandMC site in Kathmandu", I didn't find this particularly amusing last year at the private Findhorn Bay site. Thankfully I was only staying a couple of nights and my hook up was at the edge of the site and rather more 'traditional'.

08 - Findhorn-003.jpeg