Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can't believe it's come to this

F

Flood51

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am retired and my wife is a teacher recently moved from full time to 3 days a week with a great bunch of people. We brought the Cali last year in March and 3 months of problems with the AC meant that :( it only has around 2500 miles on the clock. Apart from day out picnics we have had a week in Bruges, Changing room at a wedding, 2 weeks in the New Forest, a week in Norfolk and a Christmas night at relatives. So I have had to come to the realisation that to forfill my dream I will have to go it alone on trips and then other trips will have to be slotted around wife's work commitments so she can join me. Number one on our trips is touring Scotland and touring the Greek islands so both of these are out solo. So I am looking for one month touring suggestions. I have done the WW1 Battle Fields but I am sure some sort of theme would be good.

I am retired and my wife is a teacher recently moved from full time to 3 days a week with a great bunch of people. We brought the Cali last year in March and 3 months of problems with the AC meant that :( it only has around 2500 miles on the clock. Apart from day out picnics we have had a week in Bruges, Changing room at a wedding, 2 weeks in the New Forest, a week in Norfolk and a Christmas night at relatives. So I have had to come to the realisation that to forfill my dream I will have to go it alone on trips and then other trips will have to be slotted around wife's work commitments so she can join me. Number one on our trips is touring Scotland and touring the Greek islands so both of these are out solo. So I am looking for one month touring suggestions. I have done the WW1 Battle Fields but I am sure some sort of theme would be good.
Hello Flood51
So continental Europa is also an option? If you do like themes what about castles in Europe? Or if you more into wine for example (I am not and there are other who may help here @GrannyJen): Do a wineyard trip in France? Or fallow the River Rhein from Germany to Switzerland.
Sorry maybe these suggestions are silly and not your intention.

I look forward to you read about your plans!

Sapto

I'm in a similar position. Being retired with a working partner means I'm having to look at solo tours. I get my fix by having the odd night away whilst she's working. Normally just down to the New Forest but enough to justify having invested in the Cali. The other idea is that I go off on a tour and she joins me when she can, trains permitting ( this could be a challenge, being in Southern Rail territory!).

I'm in a similar position. Being retired with a working partner means I'm having to look at solo tours. I get my fix by having the odd night away whilst she's working. Normally just down to the New Forest but enough to justify having invested in the Cali. The other idea is that I go off on a tour and she joins me when she can, trains permitting ( this could be a challenge, being in Southern Rail territory!).
We do something very similar too, my wife works two days a week, except we have a well connected airport with lo-cost carriers. As an example last year we to go to Nice, Turin, Corsica (Bastia) and Milan. Me? I got to go to Spa, Trier, Montreux, Mont Blanc as well. Worked OK for us. Of course this can only be done if your partner is a confident traveller - I am very fortunate.

Scandinavia.

Do you have any sporting hobbies? I'm still working but love mountain biking and sea kayaking. Both give me plenty of excuses to take the van away on my own.

Scandinavia.
Good idea, having spent a career in Oil Exploration I know Norway well but more importantly have loads of ex-oil buddies to visit. Can't think why I didn't think of it. Cheers

I very much enjoyed Normandy, Ryes, Arrowmanches and Pegasus bridge etc and although I didnt go for WW2 aspects it was humbling and inspiring all at once.

Good idea, having spent a career in Oil Exploration I know Norway well but more importantly have loads of ex-oil buddies to visit. Can't think why I didn't think of it. Cheers
I'm driving through Sweden to Tromso and then down through Norway. Using The Bridge from Copenhagen to Malmo and the Harwich/ Hook of Holland Ferry. I'm going in mid May when the Campsites are open and before the Holiday season really starts so everything is open but not busy and the weather is very spring like. I'm on my own for 3 weeks and the other half can concentrate on her Oxford On-Line Degree Course and watch her Scandinavian Crime Dramas.. My music full blast, eat what I want and travel when I want. Definitely " Me Time ". SWMBO likes heat and sun, so 4 weeks in Southern Europe in the Summer and numerous other trips planned for us both.

I very much enjoyed Normandy, Ryes, Arrowmanches and Pegasus bridge etc and although I didnt go for WW2 aspects it was humbling and inspiring all at once.

WW1/WW2 visits are humbling, in Normandy the parachute drop into a swamp with few survivors a Lancaster bombing raid that went wrong and wiped out a French village in Normandy. I alway feel bad when I visit the WW1 graves that there are few if any German grave sites to pay respects to and that commemorations don't include both sides as I think they should. Anyway too political. I shall definitely do a solo to Scandinavia and I like the idea of a castle tour in Europe so thanks for the input. I cycle a bit but mainly walking and golf so I will try and put this into the plans.

At least she's a part-time teacher - not many occupations get more days off!

I've been looking at Norway since watching a movie called The Wave, the first half is a tourist info promo for Geiranger (second half, less so ... :Nailbiting)

You lot are inspirational...I have never thought about going away leaving the wife to earn my pocket money!

WW1/WW2 visits are humbling, in Normandy the parachute drop into a swamp with few survivors a Lancaster bombing raid that went wrong and wiped out a French village in Normandy. I alway feel bad when I visit the WW1 graves that there are few if any German grave sites to pay respects to and that commemorations don't include both sides as I think they should. Anyway too political. I shall definitely do a solo to Scandinavia and I like the idea of a castle tour in Europe so thanks for the input. I cycle a bit but mainly walking and golf so I will try and put this into the plans.
If you take a few minutes to do a bit of research, you'll find the German cemeteries in Belgium. For example:

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/war-graves/german-military-burials-belgium.htm

I've been looking at Norway since watching a movie called The Wave, the first half is a tourist info promo for Geiranger (second half, less so ... :Nailbiting)
I guess you mean the movie Breaking the Waves? Movie critics love it but it is too black for my taste, I will mever forget it though.
Norway is fantastic, but restaurant food is quite bad and expensive.

I would give the swedish island Gotland a chance, its fantastic.

If you think teachers get school holidays off you are deluded.

Many of the German dead were cremated and their remains sent home to their families. There is also a German cemetery on the Somme near Flixecourt. I also recall seeing small clusters of German crosses alongside their adversaries in the smaller Commonwealth cemeteries of the Ypres salient. Very moving and humbling to think that each one of those markers, friend or foe, was someone's son, brother etc, very sad.
Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk