Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Car play - sat nav display & auto lights.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Since updating my iphone IOS, the display on carplay has changed a bit.
Thats OK there is some nice things about it. But I use apple maps or google maps for my sat nav and since the update the sat nav display on either of these maps goes to the night mode when the head light cut whilst running on auto lights. Perfectly normal behaviour I'd assume and it may have done this before the update but my issue is that since the update it really doesn't take much to go into the darker night time display. I'd say only clear blue skies in the middle of the day are preventing the headlights /night time sat nav display coming on.
Obviously it doesn't bother me that the headlights come on but the sat nav screen is really poor in this mode during daylight. I can't find any settings to leave it on daylight and I like to use auto headlamps setting.
Anyone else faced this?
I'm not looking for alternative sat nav apps or anything as this will likely just do the same thing...I really want to know if its common on the latest IOS.
Thanks.....

Haven’t tried this but it may work.
Google maps -
Menu button (top left three lines)
Settings
Navigation
Scroll down to map display.
Default is auto but you can change to daytime.

As BigMac77 says, you can change this in the CarPlay settings

have you tried Waze for mapping? Used it for the 1st time today, it has some great features and is very interactive. I even managed to change the voice to Santa Claus for our 380 miles to Cornwall - really impressed the wife!!!

I'm OK with google maps...that worked.
But no settings for apple maps which is a disappointment, that just changes with the lights on auto so its abandoned.
Might give waze ago too.

Yes I do...
When I first updated to the latest IOS and the problem started I checked that and it was set to always dark.
Heres the thing...it wasn't always dark, it still changed with the lights when in auto mode. I changed it to automatic and it behaved the same way. There is no option for always light either.
But the puzzling bit is this......
Since day 1 of using car play the sat nav (usually apple maps) has always changed from daylight to dark appearance with the lights but for what ever reason the lights are on more when I consider it bright(ish) outside so the sat nav screen is dark so often. I assume the sensor is behind the rear view mirror facing forward? if so the windscreen is clean so should let in maximum light to the sensor.

Yes I do...
When I first updated to the latest IOS and the problem started I checked that and it was set to always dark.
Heres the thing...it wasn't always dark, it still changed with the lights when in auto mode. I changed it to automatic and it behaved the same way. There is no option for always light either.
But the puzzling bit is this......
Since day 1 of using car play the sat nav (usually apple maps) has always changed from daylight to dark appearance with the lights but for what ever reason the lights are on more when I consider it bright(ish) outside so the sat nav screen is dark so often. I assume the sensor is behind the rear view mirror facing forward? if so the windscreen is clean so should let in maximum light to the sensor.

Do you have auto lights? It will change when your lights come on / off.

Way to check is to drive into a dark tunnel in the day time.

My CarPlay goes light/dark depending on ambient light too. I have auto headlights ( but not auto main beam). I don’t think there is any control over when it happens, just IF it happens. The reverse problem (day mode at night) is worse though.

I find it goes into dark mode too easily and have stopped using Apple maps because the night colour scheme is to hard to see clearly. I use Waze most often because the colour scheme is clearer. I like setting google maps to satellite view as well.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Do you have auto lights? It will change when your lights come on / off.
Yes I do.
What I have been saying (or trying to say) all along is that here I am 2 years down the line and suddenly the switch from day to night mode with apple maps that goes with it is suddenly nearly always in night mode and difficult to see. never used go into night mode so regularly.
Yes its winter and yes the windscreen is clear but somehow lighting levels are triggering the lights (therefore night mode) more easily.
It may sound unrelated but only annoyingly noticeable since the last apple update which changed the car play interface.

I find it goes into dark mode too easily and have stopped using Apple maps because the night colour scheme is to hard to see clearly. I use Waze most often because the colour scheme is clearer. I like setting google maps to satellite view as well.
Exactly that...so I will look into Waze. Thanks

Yes I do.
What I have been saying (or trying to say) all along is that here I am 2 years down the line and suddenly the switch from day to night mode with apple maps that goes with it is suddenly nearly always in night mode and difficult to see. never used go into night mode so regularly.
Yes its winter and yes the windscreen is clear but somehow lighting levels are triggering the lights (therefore night mode) more easily.
It may sound unrelated but only annoyingly noticeable since the last apple update which changed the car play interface.
Is it the Software, ie: the CarPlay / Apple maps software, or are the vehicle lights on more often? ie: the Auto light function?

Is it the Software, ie: the CarPlay / Apple maps software, or are the vehicle lights on more often? ie: the Auto light function?
Well theres what I don't know.
Logic suggests that nothing has changed except the weather/seasonal daylight.
But....
It coincides with the apple IOS update which bought with it an updated car play screen layout and I think, changes to things like apple maps as part of the the IOS update. So straight away there are 3 variables all at once.
I don't remember it being in night mode so often before the update which obviously includes last winter (and I now leave work earlier in the day).

Well theres what I don't know.
Logic suggests that nothing has changed except the weather/seasonal daylight.
But....
It coincides with the apple IOS update which bought with it an updated car play screen layout and I think, changes to things like apple maps as part of the the IOS update. So straight away there are 3 variables all at once.
I don't remember it being in night mode so often before the update which obviously includes last winter (and I now leave work earlier in the day).
I think you said you have the Auto Car light function On. So when the Screen is in Dark/Night mode are the Car headlights On? Are they On inappropriately?

For me it’s always been too sensitive. I’d stopped using Apple maps before iOS13. There is no control over the light level at which “night” engages, but there is some control over what the effect is. This is why I’ve switched to Waze, because the mark is clear in night mode.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

So when the Screen is in Dark/Night mode are the Car headlights On?
Are they On inappropriately?
Yes
Are they On inappropriately?
Hmmmm.....
Difficult to say, they don't go off instantly after rain or having been on for a while do they?
all I can say is I haven't percieved any issues (always on or not responding to ambient natural lighting conditions).

Waze is way better anyways. Probably why I haven’t realised there’s an issue with Apple Maps

I've just been having a play with Carplay...
There seems to be a bug with Apple maps, especially since IOS 13. The 'settings - appearance' (which only provides automatic or always dark!) in Carplay only adjusts the Carplay 'home' display, not the apple maps, they seem to be random / more dark than light.
Google maps has a 'settings' gear icon, top right, which you can select day mode manually.
The auto lights only seems to affect the built in sat nav display, not carplay screens, on mine anyway.
I've tried all the settings on the iphone as well to no avail, IOS 14 might fix it!

There seems to be a bug with Apple maps, especially since IOS 13. The 'settings - appearance' (which only provides automatic or always dark!) in Carplay only adjusts the Carplay 'home' display, not the apple maps, they seem to be random / more dark than light.
Google maps has a 'settings' gear icon, top right, which you can select day mode manually.
The auto lights only seems to affect the built in sat nav display, not carplay screens, on mine anyway.
I've tried all the settings on the iphone as well to no avail, IOS 14 might fix it!

Try Waze

Thanks reserves, I only tried playing with the Carplay Apple maps to try and help out with this thread.
I have no issue with my VW satnav, I know plenty who do and I understand why...
I don't use Apple or Google maps, only use carplay for Spotify & podcasts.
I've heard lots of good regarding Waze, especially for traffic info, but that's not an issue for my location in the sticks... :thumb

Last edited:
There seems to be a bug with Apple maps, especially since IOS 13.
OK thanks, when you don't know anyone else with an issue you start to think you imagining the poor performance changes.