Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carpets in my Cali T6.1

B

Brendon Mitchell

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Good day everybody. My wife and I,( Helen and Brendon ) have just bought the T6.1 California Ocean. We have purchased the carpets and found that we cannot install the main cabin floor carpet. The reason is that, when we try to thread the carpet under the drawer, (of the seat ), it soon gets stopped when it hits something on the bottom of the drawer. Has anyone any ideas, on what we might be doing wrong, or has anyone else experienced the same issue.

Good day everybody. My wife and I,( Helen and Brendon ) have just bought the T6.1 California Ocean. We have purchased the carpets and found that we cannot install the main cabin floor carpet. The reason is that, when we try to thread the carpet under the drawer, (of the seat ), it soon gets stopped when it hits something on the bottom of the drawer. Has anyone any ideas, on what we might be doing wrong, or has anyone else experienced the same issue.
Pictures of the carpets would help, not sure which carpets you have purchased. :thumb

You need to tell us what kind of carpets you have , and if you have two or three floorrails

It's the roller on the bottom of the pull out drawer. It's always a problem but it will go under eventually, unless something has changed in the 6.1 (doubt it). Pull the drawer out / and in / and try again.

It's the roller on the bottom of the pull out drawer. It's always a problem but it will go under eventually, unless something has changed in the 6.1 (doubt it). Pull the drawer out / and in / and try again.
We will go and try. But surely if that is the case, there will be a mark left on the carpet that is only going to get worse?

We will go and try. But surely if that is the case, there will be a mark left on the carpet that is only going to get worse?
The problem with instalation is well known but the denting of the pile hasn't been discussed before.

The problem with instalation is well known but the denting of the pile hasn't been discussed before.
Thank you for your help. This seems like something VW need to be told about, and see what they come up with.Can’t see that spending £163 for a carpet, that is going to have an unsightly 35mm track down the centre is something we can ignore. Thanks again for your interest and help

It's suppose to be disigned so the drawer can open , but as you say the roller is leaving a mark and there is not much clearance . On the picture it shows you mat corners facing upwarts , if they flatten down in time this might help not interfering with the drawer and seat pulling forward anymore.
We have a foldabe mat , it folds in sections when the seat needs to be pulled forward , the drawer goes over the mat (leaving a light mark but it don't bother us)?

Mats are always in the way , many just don't bother with mats and just live on the rubber flooring.
Brandrup item are expencive , that why also some buy cheap mats and cut to fit.

It's suppose to be disigned so the drawer can open , but as you say the roller is leaving a mark and there is not much clearance . On the picture it shows you mat corners facing upwarts , if they flatten down in time this might help not interfering with the drawer and seat pulling forward anymore.
We have a foldabe mat , it folds in sections when the seat needs to be pulled forward , the drawer goes over the mat (leaving a light mark but it don't bother us)?

Mats are always in the way , many just don't bother with mats and just live on the rubber flooring.
We have tried a number of ways to get the carpet under the roller. The corners tilting up is not an issue. The roller is the issue. It is obviously designed to roll on the floor, so putting a carpet in its way is going to cause a problem. there is no play in the roller or the drawer. Seems we are just stuck with a £60.000 van with rubbish carpets. Bit of a shame really

The carpets are made by a third party though, not VW.

I'm wondering if the floor is a bit higher / thicker in the 6.1? If so, it will take Brandrup time to adapt.

There are specific Brandrup T6.1 carpets which we bought and might be different to the T6 carpets - although it may just be new colours.

I would check but whilst we have the carpets, we don’t yet have the van due to DVLA delays and it’s still at the dealers. We have inspected the van though and the floor, rails and bench seat look exactly the same as in our T5.1.

I'm wondering if the floor is a bit higher / thicker in the 6.1? If so, it will take Brandrup time to adapt.
Good point, is it the optional yacht style flooring fitted?

Thanks for your help. Always grateful

You might want to check that it’s not the tool kit that fits onto the back of the bench seat. It can be seen from the boot area and is held on with two rotary screws. If the toolbox isn’t lifted as it is screwed on, it can catch on our carpet. Apologies if you have checked and ruled this out.

You might want to check that it’s not the tool kit that fits onto the back of the bench seat. It can be seen from the boot area and is held on with two rotary screws. If the toolbox isn’t lifted as it is screwed on, it can catch on our carpet. Apologies if you have checked and ruled this out.
Thank you for your reply. My wife and I spent a couple of hours sorting the issue out. A few swear words and a few laughs. But we got there. Thanks again

It's funny - our new (second-hand) Cali came with black carpet, which we've found really annoying - still need a mat to stop it getting muddy, & the thickness of both stops the drawer opening. It gets covered in bits & dirt & is difficult to clean - you can't just brush it out. I'd been thinking it would be good to remove it, but thought it might be tricky to get it back in place if we needed to. But in hoovering out the van this morning, I was delighted to discover that it doesnt run through to the boot in one go, and that it's only stuck down by the door.
Great! So I took it out, revealing a nice clean, sweepable, washable hard floor.
Then I read this post, & found the carpet is an after-purchase that people actually choose! Everyone customises their Cali to suit their own requirements - it's a brilliant vehicle.

Back