Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carplay Disconnection

D

DaveB

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Recently my iphone 7 has started to misbehave a lot when connected to Carplay. Sometimes it is fine, sometimes it constantly connects then disconnects immediately. I can't seem to establish a pattern for it and it does not seem to be down to the cable as I've tried several with same result.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I'm wondering if my USB port connection is getting ropey.

This is on factory fitted Discover Media in a 2016 Ocean.

Recently my iphone 7 has started to misbehave a lot when connected to Carplay. Sometimes it is fine, sometimes it constantly connects then disconnects immediately. I can't seem to establish a pattern for it and it does not seem to be down to the cable as I've tried several with same result.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I'm wondering if my USB port connection is getting ropey.

This is on factory fitted Discover Media in a 2016 Ocean.
Recent update on the iPhone, or not updated?

I always keep phone up to date, this issue has crossed several updates.

Awaiting my California but currently have a 2016 GTD with app connect.

I had big issues with my apple car play with the iPhone 7 I had at the time. It would either say there was a problem with the USB or it would load and then crash soon after. It was however only a problem with my phone, every other phone I tried to attach worked fine, therefore no leg to stand on when I took it to VW. I therefore went to Apple who we went around the houses with, due to the apple shop not having my car parked in the middle of it, got sent off to call them from my car to do it. They just went round in circles and I think assumed I was being an imbecile (wrongly, I think).

Long story short, not because of this problem, I got a new phone and when I did, all was well.

Had the same issue with Android Auto, buying a new cable solved the problem

If mine plays up I kill all the apps on the phone, force a phone reboot. Then reboot the stereo by holding the power button down until it reboots. also worth checking the cable is good. I think the stereo reboot is normally the crucial bit

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Maybe the opening where your cable is plugged into your phone is dirty. Clean with wooden tooth Pick. Happens a lot. Solved my connection Problems in the past

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I have carplay in both our BMW i3 and our California. In the BMW it never causes issues. In the California it randomly won’t connect. Usually unplugging the cable and restart the stereo solves it. You have to push the start button on the stereo for 10 seconds until you see the VW logo.

Update I solved it.

It was indeed a cable issue, a brand new Apple cable works. The one that came with the phone didn't so it seems really twitchy.

I have this same problem. Constantly disconnecting — have tried multiple phones, multiple leads including genuine. Sometimes works with connect/disconnect of the cable, other times I need to reboot the head unit (by pressing the on/off switch down for about 30 seconds). Anyone else got this issue. I went to VW who updated the head unit, phones are all on latest operating system etc etc. Obviously I will go back to VW but wondered if others have had similar issues…..thanks

The touchscreen failed on ours so we got a warranty replacement. All the issues with CarPlay have now gone.

Took the van to the local VW dealership today to check out the car play disconnections.

I was told that its actually Apple’s fault and there is nothing they can do. Aparrently Apple keeps updating so often that VW can’t keep up.

They checked the unit and “found nothing wrong”. So a bit of a waste of a day going to and from the dealership. Feel a bit fobbed off.

Took the van to the local VW dealership today to check out the car play disconnections.

I was told that its actually Apple’s fault and there is nothing they can do. Aparrently Apple keeps updating so often that VW can’t keep up.

They checked the unit and “found nothing wrong”. So a bit of a waste of a day going to and from the dealership. Feel a bit fobbed off.
Interesting... mine has been faultless since it was replaced. I'm running the latest IOS.

That is what they say when they have no clue. I have been using iphones with carplay since I got the van 2016 and there has only been one issue, the headunit won't recognize the phone which a simple reboot of the head unit fixes.

Actually twaddle - Apple of all OS versions actually updates the least. Make sure you have the latest head unit update via OTA as there were a number of CarPlay fixes in there.

Actually twaddle - Apple of all OS versions actually updates the least. Make sure you have the latest head unit update via OTA as there were a number of CarPlay fixes in there.
How can the sw of the head unit be updated OTA ? I've got a T6