Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

carrying 2 sea kayaks

A

Agrestis

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi folks

Just wondering if anyone has the Thule Hullavator Pro 898 (lift-assist) carrier attached to the T6 with the standard awning fitted? Wondering what length of Thule Probars required to get over the extra width of the awning? We've measured the dimensions but just wanting to check if anyone has any experience of fitting a pair of these carriers?

We're aware of the Kari-Tek rack but are looking for something which is easier to remove as we won't be using the sea kayaks all the time.

many thanks

Hi folks

Just wondering if anyone has the Thule Hullavator Pro 898 (lift-assist) carrier attached to the T6 with the standard awning fitted? Wondering what length of Thule Probars required to get over the extra width of the awning? We've measured the dimensions but just wanting to check if anyone has any experience of fitting a pair of these carriers?

We're aware of the Kari-Tek rack but are looking for something which is easier to remove as we won't be using the sea kayaks all the time.

many thanks
Wow - that looks nice but pricey. Am I right in thinking you would need to buy 1 for each kayak?

Two of those would eat into your max roof load of 50kg quite significantly. Seems like they are 18kg a pair.
Been looking at how to load a kayak as well and have made a roller arrangement that can be fitted above the tailgate. Not tested it as haven't yet bought the kayak!
Other idea i liked the look of is the Malone Telos
https://www.escape-watersports.co.uk/equipment/roof-racks/malone-telos-j-bar-loading-module-detail
That wouldn't eat into the roof load limit and can be swapped side to side. Yet to see one for real but few videos online.

Two of those would eat into your max roof load of 50kg quite significantly. Seems like they are 18kg a pair.
Been looking at how to load a kayak as well and have made a roller arrangement that can be fitted above the tailgate. Not tested it as haven't yet bought the kayak!
Other idea i liked the look of is the Malone Telos
https://www.escape-watersports.co.uk/equipment/roof-racks/malone-telos-j-bar-loading-module-detail
That wouldn't eat into the roof load limit and can be swapped side to side. Yet to see one for real but few videos online.
I quite like the look of their seating and stinger loader as well - I prefer to carry kayaks upright rather than on their sides. Not sure whether it would work effectively with the Cali though.

This is with the 135mm wing bars on the low foot pack.
462922e6df3b3267f563af040ee52c87.jpg

To completely clear the awning they would have to be very wide.
Bars could have been offset by about 5 to 8cm based on the slot on the underside of the bars.

Hi all

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I spoke to VW commercial van customer care this afternoon and eventually got a full explanation to the roof load limit. Here it is. The roof load limit is 100kg when using 2 roof bars (termed as carriers in the brochure); this limit increases to 150kg when using at least 4 roof bars. The owners manual states that the roof load limit for pop-up roofs is 50kg but what this actually means is this is the maximum weight that the roof can take directly on the roof e.g. If you were to stand on it. Adding the roof bars increases this limit by 50 kg as the load is spread across the bars. The VW kayak holders can each take a kayak weighing up to 25kg and 2 holders could easily carry 2 kayaks on roof bars and be well within the load limit.

NB customer care clearly explained that the loads must be removed before the roof is elevated. They also confirmed that the roof bars allow for the awning as this is a very standard fitting.

Not those but this is what I've made from plumbing pipe as an alternative.
31dfaaff5477440e4539b8b83bacc926.jpg

Long black pipe acts as a roller.
Just saw this, any chance you could advise what you did ot make this? We have been struggling to use our kayak because its so hard to load.

This looks just the ticket. What weight can it take?

Hi Matt,

the transverse framework (white pipework) is 32mm solvent weld pipe, 2 x elbow joints & 2 x T pieces all glued together. The transverse black 'roller' pipe in the photo is 40mm pipe that rolls around the 32mm one underneath it. This framework just sits on the tailgate using the roofrack pads to give protection.
The longitudinal tubes are again 32mm pipe with an elbow and short vertical extension thats a tight fit into the T pieces of the framework (not glued). Out of shot the longitudinal tubes fix to the roof bars with Thule T track bolts & wing nuts. The idea was that I could rotate the longitudinal bars 90deg for easy storage.

The whole thing is only on the roof when loading and unloading, I did try it a couple of times (with a 14ft touring kayak of approx 24kg). It proved the concept but the weak point is the rotating elbow joints. I managed to drop the whole thing and the joint shattered. :( I have mended it and tried to strengthen the joint but not tried using it again.

Since then I have moved to a different way of loading that works better for me and I made in a stronger fashion. Have you seen it on this thread?

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...yaks-on-a-california.10088/page-2#post-216022

Since the pictures were taken I have made some small adjustments (smaller hooks with straightened lip & reduced length of wooden bars). This setup works well. Used it many times with just me loading the boat, especially last week as I was on holiday down in South Devon kayaking on the Dart and Salcombe estuaries. Fantastic time!

Hi all

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I spoke to VW commercial van customer care this afternoon and eventually got a full explanation to the roof load limit. Here it is. The roof load limit is 100kg when using 2 roof bars (termed as carriers in the brochure); this limit increases to 150kg when using at least 4 roof bars. The owners manual states that the roof load limit for pop-up roofs is 50kg but what this actually means is this is the maximum weight that the roof can take directly on the roof e.g. If you were to stand on it. Adding the roof bars increases this limit by 50 kg as the load is spread across the bars. The VW kayak holders can each take a kayak weighing up to 25kg and 2 holders could easily carry 2 kayaks on roof bars and be well within the load limit.

NB customer care clearly explained that the loads must be removed before the roof is elevated. They also confirmed that the roof bars allow for the awning as this is a very standard fitting.
Just come across your post.... Very interesting! Reading my T5 manual for the umpteenth time I still come to the conclusion that the total maximum load is 50kg. The line in the manual, "The roof load limit refers to the combined weight of the roof carrier and the load carried on the roof" would imply that it is the "pop up roof 50kg" stated in the previous sentence of the manual as the "maximum permissible roof load". I suppose it could just be a dodgy translation!

Just come across your post.... Very interesting! Reading my T5 manual for the umpteenth time I still come to the conclusion that the total maximum load is 50kg. The line in the manual, "The roof load limit refers to the combined weight of the roof carrier and the load carried on the roof" would imply that it is the "pop up roof 50kg" stated in the previous sentence of the manual as the "maximum permissible roof load". I suppose it could just be a dodgy translation!
Now to contradict myself!
I thought I'd go down the Customer Service route... Just to make sure and I stand corrected!! The man says 150kg. With 50kg max if raising the roof.

Now to contradict myself!
I thought I'd go down the Customer Service route... Just to make sure and I stand corrected!! The man says 150kg. With 50kg max if raising the roof.
Hmm - that contradicts Agrestis's post - where VWCS advises that all roof loads must be removed before raising the roof.

Grr - wish they'd make their minds up. I've just spent two weeks taking the kayak off the roof every night before raising it in corsica.

Mind you - I do now think I have an almost optimal roof rack, loading method and folding step enabling me to load and unload easily on my own. I'll post some pictures and my system when I get home.

Hmm - that contradicts Agrestis's post - where VWCS advises that all roof loads must be removed before raising the roof.

Grr - wish they'd make their minds up. I've just spent two weeks taking the kayak off the roof every night before raising it in corsica.

Mind you - I do now think I have an almost optimal roof rack, loading method and folding step enabling me to load and unload easily on my own. I'll post some pictures and my system when I get home.
I think it best to remove the load before raising the roof whatever VW say!

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Back