Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carrying a motorbike

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I am quite new here so this subject may have been covered.

I want to hang a 125cc motorycle (Honda step thru) off the back of my van. The bike weights 100kg, the rack about 20kg while the advised rear max, by VW, is 100kg.

Has anyone done this? If so, how?

I am quite new here so this subject may have been covered.

I want to hang a 125cc motorycle (Honda step thru) off the back of my van. The bike weights 100kg, the rack about 20kg while the advised rear max, by VW, is 100kg.

Has anyone done this? If so, how?

Actually i have seen a Austrian couple with a sort of scooter on the back. We have been considering the same but not, found the solution. As you mention the max preasure on the towing knob is 100 kg. I think it is only 75 kg on some removable types. So I guess you must mount a connection for a the rack directly to the chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You've answered your own question. Max weight on a tow hook is 100kg as you state. Your bike and rack come to 120kg which is 20% over allowance. You need a trailer.

Also need to keep an eye on the max total wieght of the verhicle as a Cali is allready heavy without gear packed.
Please fill in your verhicle details in your personal preference (beach , Coast or SE / Ocean)

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Just noticed Kmann response. Hanging it off the chassis doesn't help because it's the weight being put onto the rear suspension. You would have to have suspension upgrade if that is possible.

Just noticed Kmann response. Hanging it off the chassis doesn't help because it's the weight being put onto the rear suspension. You would have to have suspension upgrade if that is possible.

The 100 kg is the maximum for the knob, like 60 kg is the limit for the bike rack. It is not the weight limit for the car.

The limit for the car depends on model. I.e. the 4M DSG 204 has the smallest load capacity. This has been gone thru in another thread so i will not go in details here.

Mounting a rack to the chassis is (might be) legit but differend rules apply countrywise i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also if bolted to the chassis then opening the Tailgate may be impossible without removing. A trailer carrier is the only way to go.
Also, affixing a towbar/chassis carrier that exceeds VW weight limits might well void your insurance.

The tailgate limitations is a good point and might be taken into consideration, but it is not given. Depends what kind of carrier you can get or build.

I guess you are right about exceeding weigt limits. It also might influence insurence if you are involved in an accident. Keep the total under limits must be a goal in all cases imo.

For the same reasons I have been loking interested on the new electric scooters entering the marked. They seem not so heavy.

Another of my concerns was the handling. How does the car drive with 100 kg. on the knob.

So far we stayed with the bikes. A little exercise is still good

For the same reasons I have been loking interested on the new electric scooters entering the marked. They seem not so heavy.

Another of my concerns was the handling. How does the car drive with 100 kg. on the knob.

If the towbar is VW approved and correctly coded into the vehicle then when the electric for the lighting board is plugged in there various things are altered by the vehicle electronics , brakes, electronic stability settings etc.

I regularly carry a motorbike on the back of my Cali and I use a Dave Cooper Van rack
http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike-racks/motorcycle-racks
I have a factory fit removable tow bar for which I bought a conversion piece for to effectively turn a swan neck into a regular tow bar.

The rack is really light and the bike I most often use is 85kg. However one of my other bikes is around 120kg and this set up functions well. I seriously cannot tell the bike is on there.

Standard vehicle Towbars generally have a maximum design vertical nose weight (usually 60 -100 kgs). This may be indicated on a fixed plate or shown in the instruction manual.

Any towball or tailgate mounted rack will also have a maximum design weight.

Your vehicle also has a maximum design rear axle weight which will be shown on the VIN plate.

Exceeding the design parameters of your vehicle and/or its equipment can invalidate your insurance, may render you liable to prosecution and/or result in a prohibition of movement being issued.

It is also likely to have an adverse effect upon tyre, suspension and brake wear.

It's an individual choice really but as others have already said, if you are exceeding the design maximum weight limits of the towbar system or the vehicle, then you need a trailer.

Hanging something that heavy is likely to seriously alter the handling dynamics of the van. A lot of weight behind the rear wheels is not a good idea even if you could do it legally.

I regularly carry a motorbike on the back of my Cali and I use a Dave Cooper Van rack
http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike-racks/motorcycle-racks
I have a factory fit removable tow bar for which I bought a conversion piece for to effectively turn a swan neck into a regular tow bar.

The rack is really light and the bike I most often use is 85kg. However one of my other bikes is around 120kg and this set up functions well. I seriously cannot tell the bike is on there.

Thanks for that. Yes, I know about Dave Cooper fittings etc. Could you send me some pics of your set up and the bikes?

Much appreciated.

I want to avoid a trailer. If I have a trailer I am limited to 60mph, extra cost of Eurotunnel, no use of the outside line and doing three-point turns in country lanes are more complicated.

Hanging something that heavy is likely to seriously alter the handling dynamics of the van. A lot of weight behind the rear wheels is not a good idea even if you could do it legally.

Theres nothing in the manual about not using a bike rack and the tow bar at the same time. 50kg on the rack and 100kg nose weight on the tow bar come to 30kg less than the motorbike set up. As long as the rack is fitted correctly to the van i.e. not just supported on the tow bar I can't see the problem.
20kg extra weight, less than a meter behind the back axle isn't going to upset the handling.

The total rack bike etc at say 120kg 1m from the rear axle is going to be lightening the load off the front wheels by 40kg as the wheelbase is 3m - put in a front passenger & you've more than compensated.

Just keep an eye on the total payload being carried & take care not to exceed the total for the rear axle.

Have a Look on eBay for one of these.
Honda st 70
Perfect size small light and easily carried
,,will carry 2 passengers at 40mph all day long... they also go up in value so keep it 5 years and it will earn you a profit

they are great, i have one for sale ! Keep a second one for myself. It is a perfect original st70 with only 2250 km !!

B54F3193-D6D3-4CBB-AC30-DCB6FBF04F77.jpeg

Now if you lived closer I'd be buying that from you :)
There great handle bars fold down to put them in the boot of a car ..
Classic toy

Fantastic toy, and I have to ask. What would one like that cost?

Perfect to get to the town or the beach

And luckily, the C word is fast approaching. Wonder how good I have been this year?

Thanks both of you yes it is a great one, i bought it for myself in germany, let it transported to the netherlands an fully seviced it because it is 26 years old but as new! New battery, brakes, tyres, chain, oil, etc etc. It costed me 3000 euros but i wil sell for 2500. You can drive it perfectly with two

Back