Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cash needed for French campsites anymore?

NickE

NickE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When we were last in France three years ago campsites really only took cash. Now after Covid has that all changed? I expect to pay for most things by card (fuel, supermarkets etc) but I don't want to take a load of unnecessary Euros if most campsites now take cards. Experience of the latest state of play much appreciated.

We were there April-June, all the campsites we used were happy with either cards or cash. Have a great trip

We were in the Pyrenees for three weeks last month. Most sites take cards (even wireless with Apple pay) but some sites like a couple of camping municipals only took cash. Lots of other shops and restaurants take cards as well but there’s always that odd store that doesn’t so I would always carry some cash with you.

Not experienced a cash only campsite,

lots of Aires now have an automatic barrier and card reader, so you can’t pay cash. same with some car parks (much like here)

When we were last in France three years ago campsites really only took cash. Now after Covid has that all changed? I expect to pay for most things by card (fuel, supermarkets etc) but I don't want to take a load of unnecessary Euros if most campsites now take cards. Experience of the latest state of play much appreciated.
Cards are great as long as the networks are working. Twice in France I have had to resort to cash, one only French cards were being excepted due to network problems. The other time when I arrived at a fuel station it said "cash only" as credit card system not working. So I would keep enough euros at least for a tank of fuel.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Having now got back from a month's trip (what a fabulous camping country France is!) our experience was that cash is definitely still needed. We stayed a week in one site that didn't take cards and one other tiny site, where we didn't end up staying, didn't either. Otherwise cards rule: most service stations were cards only and all supermarkets and even campsite kiosks selling bread took cards. I used Monzo.
Looking forward to next year already.

Same on this side of the border. It's becoming rarer but I've had to drive into town to take out cash on checkout morning. Still quite common that the site shop is cash only, or the bar has a 10€ minimum.

In France at the moment and payed everything in Cash. Supermarket, diesel and campsite. Oh and filled the tank today at a Total garage. €1.60 a litre....

I have a very different experience: last July, 18 days France: everything paid with card both my regular bank card from our Belgian bank and a credit card (including campsites). August, 4 days France: everything paid with card (Vw bus meeting and even a bracelet with payment system). For years we have mostly paid by card, also in villages, cities, visits, shops and so on. I'm not sure where the idea comes from that it would be so different in France than anywhere else. Years ago you could sometimes not pay at the cheapest gas stations (usually at large supermarkets) with your regular bank card, but you could pay with a visa card or MasterCard. And don't you always have some cash with you in case you need it? For those few times? Just like in other countries, no more no less. Just my experience.

Last edited:
I have a very different experience: last July, 18 days France: everything paid with card both my regular bank card from our Belgian bank and a credit card (including campsites). August, 4 days France: everything paid with card (Vw bus meeting and even a bracelet with payment system). For years we have mostly paid by card, also in villages, cities, visits, shops and so on. I'm not sure where the idea comes from that it would be so different in France than anywhere else. Years ago you could sometimes not pay at the cheapest gas stations (usually at large supermarkets) with your regular bank card, but you could pay with a visa card or MasterCard. And don't you always have some cash with you in case you need it? For those few times? Just like in other countries, no more no less. Just my experience.
I don't think there as a concern that it was different in France more a case of does someone need to get euro notes before leaving the UK. Unfortunately getting euros incurs a commission charge and another one when retuning to the UK to convert back to sterling. Cards are easier but anywhere in the world there is always the possibility of banking network outages or refusal to take cards.

I always have euros but I travel often to the euro zone so do not have the commission problem but pay be card when I can. Having cash is just in case.

I don't think there as a concern that it was different in France more a case of does someone need to get euro notes before leaving the UK. Unfortunately getting euros incurs a commission charge and another one when retuning to the UK to convert back to sterling. Cards are easier but anywhere in the world there is always the possibility of banking network outages or refusal to take cards.

I always have euros but I travel often to the euro zone so do not have the commission problem but pay be card when I can. Having cash is just in case.
Of course I could be wrong -and maybe the content shifted to what you state- but when I read the original post, I clearly read about not being able to pay at campsites and the concern about it.
And you’re right about having cash with you: after all, you are traveling and you never know, just like you say. Withdrawing money abroad is often free of charge unless I go to the UK where there is often an additional charge. Also withdrawing money with my credit card is usually free of charge. This is how we get our £ and how you can get your euros. Of course everything is converted according to the applicable rate.
So, don’t worry if you come from the UK to visit France: they are also up to date with the modern world ;) (me trying to be funny)

Last edited:
Of course I could be wrong -and maybe the content shifted to what you state- but when I read the original post, I clearly read about not being able to pay at campsites and the concern about it.
And you’re right about having cash with you: after all, you are traveling and you never know, just like you say. Withdrawing money abroad is often free of charge unless I go to the UK where there is often an additional charge. Also withdrawing money with my credit card is usually free of charge. This is how we get our £ and how you can get your euros. Of course everything is converted according to the applicable rate.
So, don’t worry if you come from the UK to visit France: they are also up to date with the modern world ;) (me trying to be funny)
You should take the opportunity to come to the UK as the conversion to sterling (£) is in your favour. September is good as campsites get cheaper but the days are shorter.

You should take the opportunity to come to the UK as the conversion to sterling (£) is in your favour. September is good as campsites get cheaper but the days are shorter.
True, unfortunately my wife is a kindergartenteachter and there are no holidays for us in September. We do visit your country mostly twice a year (minus the covid periods). We were there in April and we noticed that the ferry had become much more expensive, we even opted for the Chunnel.

We recently got back from an 18 day trip to France and used 100 Euros cash, only because we took some out at a cashpoint thinking we might need it. Everything else paid on ApplePay. Just as at home, cash seems increasingly irrelevant.