Catching Covid in a California

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My younger son almost certainly caught COVID-19 at school. On Sunday evening we had a message from school that two the three year 1 classes would be closed and not to bring him to school.

We managed to arrange for a friend to take our other son to school while I remained at home with Jack. By Monday afternoon Jack had become lethargic, and we gave him a lateral flow test. He showed +ve, the rest of us all showed -ve, and we all self isolated and booked PCR tests at the O2 on Tuesday.

The results arrived late on Wednesday evening: Clare, Ben and Jack all +ve, and I was -ve.

By sheer coincidence, we had the ONS survey visit us on Tuesday evening for our monthly COVID tests and Clare and I have the finger prick antibody blood test. Our results arrived this morning. All four of us +ve. That means that I caught COVID-19 sometime between the PCR test at the O2 and the ONS PCR test in the afternoon. Most likely in our California driving back from the test centre.

The boys have almost no symptoms. Clare and I are both double jabbed, some time ago, and we both have symptoms similar to the onset of a bad cold: headache, mild dry cough now a bit phlegmy, sweaty at times. We take it in turns to look after the boys in 2hr shifts while the other rests.

Take care and I hope the symptoms pass quickly for you all.

My younger son almost certainly caught COVID-19 at school. On Sunday evening we had a message from school that two the three year 1 classes would be closed and not to bring him to school.

We managed to arrange for a friend to take our other son to school while I remained at home with Jack. By Monday afternoon Jack had become lethargic, and we gave him a lateral flow test. He showed +ve, the rest of us all showed -ve, and we all self isolated and booked PCR tests at the O2 on Tuesday.

The results arrived late on Wednesday evening: Clare, Ben and Jack all +ve, and I was -ve.

By sheer coincidence, we had the ONS survey visit us on Tuesday evening for our monthly COVID tests and Clare and I have the finger prick antibody blood test. Our results arrived this morning. All four of us +ve. That means that I caught COVID-19 sometime between the PCR test at the O2 and the ONS PCR test in the afternoon. Most likely in our California driving back from the test centre.

The boys have almost no symptoms. Clare and I are both double jabbed, some time ago, and we both have symptoms similar to the onset of a bad cold: headache, mild dry cough now a bit phlegmy, sweaty at times. We take it in turns to look after the boys in 2hr shifts while the other rests.
Hope you all get well soon.

(5 more cases at my sons school this week, so alot of kids sent home. He is back at school this week, but testing daily).

All the best Tom, hope your all well soon.

Get well soon Tom, Clare Ben & Jack.

The upside is your immune systems are going to be like super man / woman after this.

less than a week left to isolate.

keep you chins up

Hope you all get well soon.

(5 more cases at my sons school this week, so alot of kids sent home. He is back at school this week, but testing daily).

The boys’ school had:
Year 1 (2 of 3 classes) out;
Year 2 (1 of 3 classes) out;
Year 3 all out;
Year 4 all out;
Year 6 all out.

Bad luck, mate. At least you’ll be free by the school holiday. That table will have 18 coats of varnish by then!
I know it’s obvious but: fluids & rest. Even my mild (pre-jab) bout of covid was a bit insidious. I found that it was way too easy to do too much and delay recovery.

Get well soon Tom and Family!

We're just seeing out the last 2 days of isolation since my youngest tested + for COVID last week.

She came home from primary school with a bee in her bonnet about being tested because someone she knew at another school had got COVID. Of course we didnt have to test her as she was under 11 and was not showing any symptoms nor had she come into contact with this person but after being hounded by our 'little precious' we gave in and tested her. Much to our shock a lateral flow test came back positive as did the following 2 and so did the PCR test which was carried out the next day.

Thankfully we're all ok and have been throughout these near 10 days . Myself, my wife and elder daughter have always tested negative on 2 lateral flow tests and now only yesterday has my youngest too but it does make you wonder how many children are wandering around totally unaware of the 'gift' theyre passing on.

As above Tom, All the best and heres wishing you all a speedy recovery :cheers

Sorry to read this. Worrying how many double-jabbers are testing positive.
Get well soon all of you

Get well soon Tom, Clare Ben & Jack.

The upside is your immune systems are going to be like super man / woman after this.

less than a week left to isolate.

keep you chins up
It’s a bit disturbing, to hear of double-jabbed youngsters like @Amarillo ’ s wife having covid symptoms. It’s also a concern that kids are more often having symptoms.

I had previously thought that I was pretty immune, having already had (presumably Alpha strain) covid-19 and now double-jabbed. I also thought that covid wouldn’t be a danger to our kids.

Should I be changing these assumptions, with this delta variant?

All the best Tom, hope you’re all feeling better soon.

It’s a bit disturbing, to hear of double-jabbed youngsters like @Amarillo ’ s wife having covid symptoms. It’s also a concern that kids are more often having symptoms.

I had previously thought that I was pretty immune, having already had (presumably Alpha strain) covid-19 and now double-jabbed. I also thought that covid wouldn’t be a danger to our kids.

I don’t think there’s anything too concerning.

Our boys are barely showing symptoms. One had a very mild elevated temperature last Monday: 0.5C. Clare and I (both 54) have symptoms similar to that at the beginning of a bad cold - but prolonged.

The two AZ jabs don’t prevent you catching the disease but teaches the body’s immune system how to fight it by giving you a dose of a harmless chimpanzee’s cold.

If you have the two doses you are less likely to end up in hospital, and if you do end up in hospital you won’t die, though there is a minuscule chance that the first dose will give you a fatal blood clot.

Our boys are barely showing symptoms. One had a very mild elevated temperature last Monday: 0.5C. Clare and I (both 54) have symptoms similar to that at the beginning of a bad cold - but prolonged.

The two AZ jabs don’t prevent you catching the disease but teaches the body’s immune system how to fight it by giving you a dose of a harmless chimpanzee’s cold.

If you have the two doses you are less likely to end up in hospital, and if you do end up in hospital you won’t die, though there is a minuscule chance that the first dose will give you a fatal blood clot.
Not technically correct - you can still die with 2 jabs. Just statistically less likely.

Well said.
It's now been proven that ALL the approved vaccines used in the UK have side effects, blood clots or Myo/Peri carditis. None of them are 100% at preventing infection but they do have a significant impact on the severity of the disease and hence a significant impact on hospitalisations and death.
If doubly vaccinated, therefore, you can still exhibit symptoms but you can also be asymptomatic and therefore spread the disease unknowingly.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't realise this and this is the danger we will all face in the coming weeks and months as we learn to live with Covid and unfortunately there is a large group of people , of all ages, with chronic health conditions, who despite being fully vaccinated are more susceptible and less well protected against severe disease because of their general health. Being fully vaccinated will have a significant impact but common sense will also have a significant impact.
The problem is common sense seems to be in short supply among some in society and there is no treatment for that.

The vaccines does not stop the risk of beeing infected, nor transmitting to others. The best protection we have at the moment is being normal weight and healthy and Beeing through the infection. Statistically kids have absolutely zoero risk of getting seriously ill of cv19, there are cases obviously where kids have fared ill as with any infection. Oxford university has a calculator online where you can put in some variables and get a % back of how likely it is you will end up on iva or die

Well said.
It's now been proven that ALL the approved vaccines used in the UK have side effects, blood clots or Myo/Peri carditis. None of them are 100% at preventing infection but they do have a significant impact on the severity of the disease and hence a significant impact on hospitalisations and death.
If doubly vaccinated, therefore, you can still exhibit symptoms but you can also be asymptomatic and therefore spread the disease unknowingly.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't realise this and this is the danger we will all face in the coming weeks and months as we learn to live with Covid and unfortunately there is a large group of people , of all ages, with chronic health conditions, who despite being fully vaccinated are more susceptible and less well protected against severe disease because of their general health. Being fully vaccinated will have a significant impact but common sense will also have a significant impact.
The problem is common sense seems to be in short supply among some in society and there is no treatment for that.

I think the government’s strategy now is to let the virus free to spread, thereby further building up immunity. If that is the strategy, it’s a big public health gamble, and I hope it pays off.

I’m not sure what the long term alternative might be.

There have been no Covid related deaths after two AZ jabs, according to Public Health England, and a 92% reduction in hospitalisations.
There have been in Norway - but I couldn’t find more details on what jab.

Well said.
Lack of common sense by far more dangerous than Covid. In Germany somehow people are not showing up for the second dose, after having received the first. why? why wouldn't you??
When we (in the EU) had scarcity of Vaccine, everybody wanted it badly. Now that finally we have plenty people don't want it. Stupidity is going to get us extinct, not Viruses.

I think the government’s strategy now is to let the virus free to spread, thereby further building up immunity. If that is the strategy, it’s a big public health gamble, and I hope it pays off.

I’m not sure what the long term alternative might be.
Herd immunity was announced a couple of days ago, from the 19th.

'The Lancet' believe the decision is dangerous and premature.
Does Covid know there's a big footy game on tomorrow.

If people didnt drive about picking chickens up in lockdown 1 maybe we would be ok

I usually regard the phrase ‘common sense’ to be as subjective as ‘good taste’.

When talking about covid, however, I find the phrase to be a far more miraculous conceit.

Back