Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CC or C&CC?

LowMan

LowMan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Everyone,
First things first. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome following our introduction last week. We finally picked up our Cali over the weekend from VW in Leicester. Really great service.

We're on cloud 9 at the moment!

One thing we wanted to ask, and forgive us if it's been asked before, but when it comes to clubs, do people find any real advantages in being members of the Caravan Club or the Camping & Caravan Club? If so, do folk have a preference?

We did a quick search and couldn't see an obvious thread, but we might have missed it if there already is one ;)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Great stuff. Thanks Kev. :cool

Been Caravan Club members for over 25 years, it does give you access to some very good camping sites along with some very good cl's. Their on-line travel service is good when planning your overseas trips being able to easily compare ferry crossings, routes and costs and their usually, but not always, cheaper.
The C&CC I believe have something similar.
For what it costs it's not a bad idea to be a member of one of them, it gives you more options to enjoy your Cali.

Thanks 18Hunts! Useful to hear recent thoughts. Having looked at the various threads, I think we've reached the conclusion to join one of them. Question is, which one!

Time to toss a coin I think :cool:

You might need a 4 sided coin

Cc
C&cc
Both
Neither

Personally I have neither and manage just fine.

If going abroad out of season (early or late) then ACSI membership should be mandatory :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't disagree with teaboy and ACSI membership is, I think, a must have.

We have had our Cali for one season and are in both cc and c and c club if I was going for one our view would be c and c club as the sites we have visited this year have been kept spotlessly clean ,the staff have been friendly and you will get your membership cost back after a few nights camping.

CALROE1 said:
We have had our Cali for one season and are in both cc and c and c club if I was going for one our view would be c and c club as the sites we have visited this year have been kept spotlessly clean ,the staff have been friendly and you will get your membership cost back after a few nights camping.

Yes I would endorse that :thumb

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting how a few here, if pushed, lean towards the C&CC. Where other threads we've seen elsewhere lean towards the CC. We did wonder if the C&CC maybe better for Campervan users, but we'd also heard about the CC CLs that sound a good option.

I guess at the end of the day both will have their pros and cons.

The ACSI membership is a great tip. Hadn't heard of that.

So without further ado, as suggested by Teeboy, I think we'll spin that four sided coin ;)

Thanks all!

Re: CC or C&CC?

We are in the CC. Sites are very clean and organised. Too structured. More rules than a Victorian school. Sometimes you feel like you are staying in car park. However, for stop overs and winter breaks when you need warm loos and showers with radio 4 they are great. Their CL sites give you a more freedom and are inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: CC or C&CC?

A little note on the caravan club, Cali beach owners can join, but will be refused entry to CC sites as in the eyes of the club it is not a suitable "unit"

I think others have commented on this previously.

I've seen quite a few beach's on cc sites, they are probably not allowed when the sites say no tents.

CC club member and have never been refused entry also on 'no tent' sites.

I would endorse the warm, clean shower block comment earlier.

When I first heard about Beach's being refused entry, I contacted them for the "official" line.

After significant debate, they told me that my California Beach would be declined their sites.

Interesting. As I said we've never been refused.

Also, how would they tell. It says California on the back and I can't see them getting out from the office on registration to check if there is a kitchen.

We've been in the C &CC for about five years and found it good.
As opposed to our cousins who last week were on a CC site and got told off for arriving "early"
20 mins before the 12 o'clock allocated time. Then told off again because they went to the service point to fill up with water and then again because the van wasn't "straight enough" on the pitch.
Probably just a jobs worth but bears out a few other comments we have heard about the CC.
Perhaps this is why the C & CC is called the Friendly Club. ;)

I belong to the CC. I did belong also to the CCC but let my membership lapse as I never used it.

I find both to be of very limited value.

I use CC sites when touring the UK and when I need a shower. Their CL network is extensive. However, to be honest, between Britstops, UKcampsites.co.uk and the brilliant opportunities for wild camping that the Cali is especially good at I find very little advantage.

However .... and it is a big however ..... My membership fee is more than saved every year by using the M6 toll and getting the CC discount.

We are +1 for CC. Brilliant sites, always clean and friendly. We've never had any of the grief that some mention. If we are going to an area we don't know CC would be our default choice. It would probably be different if we had kids. Then we would probably do more C&CC where we are also members.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Once again. Thanks all.

We spun the 'four sided' coin (as suggested by Teeboy - well it was more a modified dice), and it landed on CC.

We'll probably sign up to it soonish. Like the sound of the CL network, and hadn't appreciated the M6 toll discount (thanks for that Jen). No doubt we'll be stopping by the C&CC sites too at some point. In fact, we're pretty sure we've probably stayed at a few of them when we've been attending festivals in hired vans over the years.

Anyway, thanks again. We'll keep you posted on how we get on.

ps: What a helpful lot you are. Can't believe how fast someone responds. Very encouraging, especially for a new Cali owner - cheers!

We had a week in Northumberland in August and stayed on both a C&CC site and a CC site. Our findings were contrary to most of the opinions on here, the C&CC site was not great, with average shower block etc. man on a bike told us exactly how to pitch our hired Cali and nobody talked to anybody. The CC site however was amazing, very warm welcome, the lady had a chat about how we were finding the VW etc as i had booked on the phone weeks earlier, we were left to pick a pitch and set up on our own, the showers were brilliant and immaculate, best of all people said hello!!! and were very chatty. We will probably consider both memberships to give us plenty of choice but i think there is good and bad with both.