Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Central Europe

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Getting excited:bananadance2 for our next big trip. The loose plan is a road trip taking in southern Poland, Slovakia, Hingary, Slovenia and (possibly the Croatian coast). Looks like about 3,000 miles of driving !!! In 2 1/2 weeks. Good job I love being at the wheel of the Cali.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any hints and tips on routes, sites or 'don't miss' things to do?

We’re off in two weeks time for our first European adventure. Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland and France. If I’m back before you go I’ll pass on my experience.

Getting excited:bananadance2 for our next big trip. The loose plan is a road trip taking in southern Poland, Slovakia, Hingary, Slovenia and (possibly the Croatian coast). Looks like about 3,000 miles of driving !!! In 2 1/2 weeks. Good job I love being at the wheel of the Cali.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any hints and tips on routes, sites or 'don't miss' things to do?

Sounds awesome! I travelled to Croatia and Slovenia (through Italy and Austria/Germany). What are you looking for? Nature, nice medival capitals or the best from everywhere?
I love the nature of Slovenia and the coast of Croatia! I am no expert but love these countries so ask away!

My mix top 9s to be and do are:
1.) Ljubljana: This city is great. Nice food, people and plenty to see! Although I didn‘t find a nice camping right next to the city.
2.) Camp Soča: Next to the river and perfect to hike and bike
3.) Camp Danica: Not as crowded as Bled but nicely situated next to the river. Top!
4.) Pivka Jama: Camping in the forest and a cave, little bit 80ties style facilities but very friendly.
5.) Cycle to Predjama Castle (from the Pivka Jama). Cave builed fortress.
6.) Saksida: http://www.vinasaksida.com/ great place to stay in the south.
7.) Piran is a nice costal town!
8.) Camp Bunica in Crostia: http://visitsenj.com/de/touristiches-angebot/campingplatze/camp-bunica-v/
9.) Zagreb is a nice town with history and plenty to see.

Never been to Poland, Slovakia or Hungary so I am also curious what other suggest!

We are doing all of that over the next six weeks:
Northern Croatia - Slovenia - Dolomites - Austria west to east - Slovakia - Czech Republic - SW Poland - home.

Camping Nevio in Orebic, Croatia is superb.

Our children are now loving the water park in Krk Premium Camping Resort.

We are returning to Agroturystyka Forteca, SW Poland, after being there last August because we enjoyed our previous stay so much. Built around an old quarry which is now a swimming lake, the campsite is owned and run by a Dutch man and his Polish wife. There is a restaurant on site, and while there is nothing special about the facilities, they are clean and have all you need.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We’re off in two weeks time for our first European adventure. Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland and France. If I’m back before you go I’ll pass on my experience.
Sounds fab - how long are you going for?

Sounds awesome! I travelled to Croatia and Slovenia (through Italy and Austria/Germany). What are you looking for? Nature, nice medival capitals or the best from everywhere?
I love the nature of Slovenia and the coast of Croatia! I am no expert but love these countries so ask away!

My mix top 9s to be and do are:
1.) Ljubljana: This city is great. Nice food, people and plenty to see! Although I didn‘t find a nice camping right next to the city.
2.) Camp Soča: Next to the river and perfect to hike and bike
3.) Camp Danica: Not as crowded as Bled but nicely situated next to the river. Top!
4.) Pivka Jama: Camping in the forest and a cave, little bit 80ties style facilities but very friendly.
5.) Cycle to Predjama Castle (from the Pivka Jama). Cave builed fortress.
6.) Saksida: http://www.vinasaksida.com/ great place to stay in the south.
7.) Piran is a nice costal town!
8.) Camp Bunica in Crostia: http://visitsenj.com/de/touristiches-angebot/campingplatze/camp-bunica-v/
9.) Zagreb is a nice town with history and plenty to see.

Never been to Poland, Slovakia or Hungary so I am also curious what other suggest!
Thanks @sapto . Exactly as you say - looking for the 'best of everywhere'. Not too many cities though. We so far the list has got Krakow, Auschwitz, castles in Slovakia, national parks in Slovenia and the Croatian coastline. Thnaks for your suggestions. I'll get researching.

We are doing all of that over the next six weeks:
Northern Croatia - Slovenia - Dolomites - Austria west to east - Slovakia - Czech Republic - SW Poland - home.

Camping Nevio in Orebic, Croatia is superb.

Our children are now loving the water park in Krk Premium Camping Resort.

We are returning to Agroturystyka Forteca, SW Poland, after being there last August because we enjoyed our previous stay so much. Built around an old quarry which is now a swimming lake, the campsite is owned and run by a Dutch man and his Polish wife. There is a restaurant on site, and while there is nothing special about the facilities, they are clean and have all you need.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Thanks Tom. Hope We haven't bitten off too much. Trying to do what is taking you 6 weeks in less than 3! Not quite all you are doing I guess - We'll miss out the Dolomites, Austria and Czech republic as we've done that before. And Croatia will be a brief visit for a swim in the Adriatic because I have to get to the sea .............

When visiting Auschwitz / Birkenau , we did that last year , it's very easy to spent tne night at the yought hostile , showers/toilets , walking distance to the entrance
Info i my post
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/posts/278985/
When you should drive thru Tsjechië , you need a vignette on the motorway , i was'nt aware of it at the time...

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: DM
I would second Camping Danica in Slovenia, by Lake Bohinj. It is a stunningly beautiful lake, much quieter than Bled (or at least it was when we were there about 2 weeks ago). Also don’t miss Piran on the Slovenian Coast - a lovely town. We also adored the Croatian Coast. We stayed in Dubrovnik, Orebic, Hvar, Cres and visited Plitvice Lakes National Park. The best campsites by far were Nevio in Orebic and Camping Kovacine on Cres. Enjoy!

• Thanks
Sounds fab - how long are you going for?

Just over two weeks. It is our first trip abroad driving and I expect we’ll likely not stick to the plan. Slovenia is the main objective.

Back