Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Central locking

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So I jumped in the van at the weekend and when I came to get out the central locking started playing silly buggers!

Despite it being unlocked, the moment I pull the handle to open the (drivers) door the locking system engages! Same story from the outside, if it’s unlocked and I pull the door handle, it locks.

More annoying is the fact that due to the slow speed of the servo, the door partly opens before the lock engages.

The only way to open the door is to hold the small knob up!

Discuss/offer advice/take wee wee.

I had a similar problem on my T4. Calum, my VW California guru, discovered that the spring(?) which holds the inside door lock button thingy had all but disintegrated and there was little, if any, resistance left in it.

On one notorious occasion the slight vibration of the engine, while the bus was parked up in it’s winter container, actually locked the vehicle with the engine running (I was just charging up the batteries)...I had to call a very thin RAC man who was able to ‘slide’ down the side of the bus in the container and open the door with his magic bits of kit.

Just watch the ‘button’ when you get in/out of the bus...mine would slightly wobble and presto, everything locked! I think the clue here in your problem is that if you hold the button ‘up’ it’s OK.

Worth a go.

Hi quite often I have found that the motor gets corroded and causes this problem there’s also a possibility that the wiring has broken between the door and the A pillar

I had a similar problem on my T4. Calum, my VW California guru, discovered that the spring(?) which holds the inside door lock button thingy had all but disintegrated and there was little, if any, resistance left in it.

On one notorious occasion the slight vibration of the engine, while the bus was parked up in it’s winter container, actually locked the vehicle with the engine running (I was just charging up the batteries)...I had to call a very thin RAC man who was able to ‘slide’ down the side of the bus in the container and open the door with his magic bits of kit.

Just watch the ‘button’ when you get in/out of the bus...mine would slightly wobble and presto, everything locked! I think the clue here in your problem is that if you hold the button ‘up’ it’s OK.

Worth a go.
No way did you find a thin rac man

Quality intel chaps. :cheers

Back