Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changes / improvements: 1.) storage, 2.) LTE, 3.) Multimedia

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

After I got the LPG installed I thought I finish the rest of my plans. Have I said that, I haste to add, I am not very good with DIY and for those things I cannot do I either couldn't find anybody else or dedicated parts are simply to expensive. Please keep this in mind when you look at the pictures. :)

Not everything is done yet, so I will add some pictures next week. Let me start to "show off": ;)

1.) Storage
I thought that the space in the left cupboard could not be used fully which could be remedied by a shelf. I googled a bit and found some solutions but I didn't want to spend another EUR 200.00 or so to get something more professional. Also from the DIY point of few, I didn't want to spend too much either. Thinking about this the only solution (compromise) I could come up with can be seen in the picture. The good thing the cost for materials was just EUR 50.00.

1648228233805.png

At the bottom I keep the heavier things like tools, fire extinguisher, VW tyre pump etc. In the middle the things we need for camping (herring, robes etc.) and the hose to fill up fresh water when we are out and about. On the top shelf is our BBQ and bigger floor cover for the awning space. At some stage I will paint the shelf in similar colour as the cupboard. It works for me and I am quite happy with it (even though it doesn't look professional).

2.) LTE
For our multimedia setup I thought we need a LTE router. There is so much on the market that I searched a while to find something that is affordable but still good quality. Installation is another thing. It would have been nice to get all the cables professionally installed, but I couldn't do it and the company I asked looked at the Grand California and they looked as helpless as I am. So I thought I leave all this and get it installed in a way that I can do it and can easily removed.

1648228694658.png

I call this installation "industrial design". it works and if necessary can easily be removed. I got from Netgear the Aircard 810 and the Netgear aerial. Power from the USB socket near by. The Netgear 810 can be removed quickly (just disconnect the 2x cable from the aerial and the power cable).

3.) Multimedia
This is the part I haven't done yet. I thought that I could get the lower USB sockets at the table replaced by a 12 V socket, but that did not work out (a company tried it and did more damage than good :(). So I gave up the idea to get a 12V TV. My solution is as follow:

We bought a portable monitor which works connected to USB. We connected our FireTV to the HDMI connector of the monitor and the FireTV gets its power from USB. Obviously the FireTV is connected to the LTE router.

With this setup we can watch Netflix, Prime, Youtube and listen to radio etc. and over the Internet German TV (works at least from Ireland, if it will work in other parts of Europe I don't know yet). But we can watch Eastenders using RTE app and mirror the screen onto the monitor. :happy

The setup is working already, but the monitor is not on the place where I would like to place it. We ordered a bracket (from the UK) which I hope will be here at some stage next week. After I have it all installed I will take some pictures and will post it here.

This is all I will change on the Grand California. I did far more for the Ocean, but that was expensive which I don't want to do with the GC. Even though all the changes doesn't look neat and tidy it is secure and works for me.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

I have the same 4G Huawei router.

I have however installed it in the open cupboard space where you have the electrics coming from so you cannot see it.

If you push on the fabric above the cupboard/space you will see there is lots of space behind there to run your wires easily.

I have installed the roof antenna though. Is there any reason your antenna is in this position? best reception maybe. Otherwise it could easily go inside the larger of the two open cupboard spaces.

I have the slide out baskets in the same cupboard, but as you say, more expensive.

Back