Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing Awning rail and cassette

DoctorBob

DoctorBob

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Question to the forum massive:

is it possible to change a silver awning rail to black and swap the awning cassette to black? - current van has silver. If it’s doable what’s the cost likely to be?

Whilst we are at it, can you do the same for the chrome pack?

Thanks for advice in advance!

yes the awning rail will cost you about £120 the old one will need removing and the black one bonding on in its place you could wrap or strip the awning down and get it powder coated

Your best way is to get the awning wrapped black.
Its been done on here.

yes the awning rail will cost you about £120 the old one will need removing and the black one bonding on in its place you could wrap or strip the awning down and get it powder coated
Is this a major enterprise? Is it a major job to remove and bond a new one on?

The cassette I saw as less of a problem - it’s more about the rail - is changing a big job?
not done it myself but it is doable as its only bonded on with silkaflex

I went through these thoughts when I considered buying a stock vehicle ..

I asked a few companies about wrapping the rail and it is possible,

also you can wrap the awning and change the end caps to black ones...

I was actually told by vw that the rail fitted from factory was also screwed as well as bonded (not sure if this was them fobbing me off or not)
I ordered the chrome pack something I always normally wouldn’t like but I think it makes it look (classy) and it’s possible to wrap it satin black with my van being white but I’m not sure about removing it???

Thanks! - I suppose it’s a question on if wrapping the rail will last then - it’s a intricate price of aluminium so I assumed it would be unwrappable...

No remember these companies wrap door handles and they are in constant use and all shapes
If you look at the rail it’s pretty square and nothing involved the ends are already black plastic

Appreciate time has moved on but if anyone on this thread is still looking for ways to get a black awning, I have one that I am very keen to swap for silver. Likewise with the awning rail inserts on each side. Have black. Want silver ;)