Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing from a t6 to a grand California

P

Phil b

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi has anyone traded up from a t6 California to a grand California, if so how have you found it ?

I have Phil but unfortunately can't comment yet as I won't receive my 680 until next month.

I like the Grand. It's certainly a different proposition but think about the delivery network backbone of the UK. Loads of Crafter sized delivery vans getting into all the furthest reaches of the UK. This proves that the Grand California could go anywhere.

I love the teak style flooring that is slightly rubberised, hoping they bring this to the next Ocean models.

The heating is great on the Grand Cali, we've got the Diesel powered heater upgrade. Come over and check it out in the flesh if you fancy.

Hi has anyone traded up from a t6 California to a grand California, if so how have you found it ?
Had a 2019 Ocean then changed to the GC 600, just completed the NC 500 after 2.5 weeks, we are all going to say our new toys are great aren't we. it was very easy to drive even though the narrowest of roads of which there were a good few. also a very good ride,unlike the cali until you upgrade the ARB and lower it by 30mm.

Living was easy as there is only the two of us we did not opt for the overhead kids bed so great storage, storage in the back is more than adequate.

Our vw dealer has asked if they can buy back our Cali t6 12 months old 1,740 miles on the clock. Fully loaded 150 dsg led etc. We are really thinking about going for the grand 600 2 berth as we struggle with the space in the T6 to be honest with you. Then with the current Covid situation toilet blocks closed or part closed. Plus we are in our 60's and erecting bloody awnings each time we use the Cali.

Our vw dealer has asked if they can buy back our Cali t6 12 months old 1,740 miles on the clock. Fully loaded 150 dsg led etc. We are really thinking about going for the grand 600 2 berth as we struggle with the space in the T6 to be honest with you. Then with the current Covid situation toilet blocks closed or part closed. Plus we are in our 60's and erecting bloody awnings each time we use the Cali.
Hi did the dealer contact you out of the blue to buy the van back

You like us suffered the same issues they took ours in with the same millage. you will not regret it. things should be made simpler for when you get older. this will tick the box, we also have the 2 berth great space for stowage. you will be surprised how easy it is to drive my wife and i both shared the driving around the NC 500.

I have been looking at other 6 metre Van's Fiat Peugeot but to be honest I want another VW
We have also thought about buying a small Caravan, to tow to give us more room but worry about towing

You like us suffered the same issues they took ours in with the same millage. you will not regret it. things should be made simpler for when you get older. this will tick the box, we also have the 2 berth great space for stowage. you will be surprised how easy it is to drive my wife and i both shared the driving around the NC 500.
Thanks, our salesman is away till Monday we are going to ask to have a look round one at the dealership. Can I be cheeky and ask what price you got for your Cali. Ours 150 dsg led acc night alloy crowbar wired chrome package. We paid 59.500k sep 29 he offered us 51.500k first offer

As a guide - below up for sale privately on the forum Classifieds - all 2019:

Price: £ 63,000.00
Mileage: 1800
Colour: Indium Gey Metallic
Transmission: Auto DSG

Price: £ 54,000.00
Mileage: 4383
Colour: Pearl Black
Transmission: Manual

Price: £ 55,500.00
Mileage: 12500
Colour: Indium Gray

Price: £ 58,980.00
Mileage: 0
Colour: Indium Grey Metallic

As a guide - below up for sale privately on the forum Classifieds - all 2019:

Price: £ 63,000.00
Mileage: 1800
Colour: Indium Gey Metallic

Price: £ 54,000.00
Mileage: 4383
Colour: Pearl Black
Transmission: Manual

Price: £ 55,500.00
Mileage: 12500
Colour: Indium Gray

Price: £ 58,980.00
Mileage: 0
Colour: Indium Grey Metallic
Thanks

I have been looking at other 6 metre Van's Fiat Peugeot but to be honest I want another VW
If you want roughly 10% off a gc, I went through Autoebid. I’ve used them recently and before and they just put you through to a Vw van centre with the discount.

If you want roughly 10% off a gc, I went through Autoebid. I’ve used them recently and before and they just put you through to a Vw van centre with the discount.
Oh thanks will have a look at them.

We have ‘up-sized’ from a T6 Ocean to the GC600.
A family of 4, with our kids aged 13 & 12 - the upper bed fits them fine just now.

It is a big step change and here’s some of the things that have struck me since getting ours just a week ago.
1. It’s blooming big, despite seeing the van at the dealers it looks manhoosive on our drive lol!
2. Storage - there is so much for storage, however my top tip is don’t fill it! I have initially cross loaded what we had in our T6 into the GC as we need to test and adjust as our first few trips commence
3. Cooking. I am not a fan of cooking in any of the van’s we’ve had - though with this one I’m sticking to boiling stuff; so I’ve still taking a wee gas stove for other dishes that involve oils and frying etc
4. The drive, wow what can I say, its just like driving a car weirdly and the only time it feels ‘vanny’ is pulling off
5. Understanding the pitch size you’ll need - and ensuring sites can accommodate the Motorhome length
6. Additional outside space. We’ve got a wind out awning and I made a set of sides to create a ‘box room’ effect. I’ve coupled it with a waterproof tarp and some waterproof carpets so we can at least wiggle about outside with out freezing/getting wet (see attached photo)
7. Cross loading. It took me a lot longer than I expected as I was so busy thinking where to put what where etc etc. My advise here is to cross load and pack the GC well before you commence a trip, leaving just your clothes and any fresh food for the trip to be chucked in before you drive off. Include filling up with water and testing the heating/hot water etc!

Overall I think the GC is a game changer in terms of extending your UK season; especially with 4 of us now being inside the ‘tin’ rather than the kids upstairs in the T6 roof.
We are using the van properly for the first time this weekend and we can’t wait

00C1D38A-B8C3-4BE0-BB25-E38FF2615A2B.jpeg

Drive the deal are at 12.5% discount on the Grand Cali as of this morning.

Hi Phil, yes I have. I changed from a 200bhp DSG Ocean to a GC600 in September. The GC looks and is very big, but drives nicely especially on A and B roads. I'm getting around 28mpg overall. The habitation side is a different world to the Ocean, on a cold morning the blown air heating and a nice hot shower are brilliant. Care is needed when showering the toilet roll will be wet (remove it) and the floor outside the shower will be wet, especially if the van wasn't level.

Hi Phil, yes I have. I changed from a 200bhp DSG Ocean to a GC600 in September. The GC looks and is very big, but drives nicely especially on A and B roads. I'm getting around 28mpg overall. The habitation side is a different world to the Ocean, on a cold morning the blown air heating and a nice hot shower are brilliant. Care is needed when showering the toilet roll will be wet (remove it) and the floor outside the shower will be wet, especially if the van wasn't level.
Hi Chris, I did the same as you re change and getting around 28mpg it gets more responsive after covering a few miles, I am up to 3000.
Did you go for the WiFi option?

Hi, no I didn't. I did buy the Brandrup carpets for the habitation side which are really nice (you cannot get the fronts for RHD vehicles) and the fitted sheet set for the rear bed which allows easier foldup and access to the straps for retaining the table in transit.

Hi Chris, I’m about to use our GC600 for the first time this weekend. Even though I’ve looked at lots of videos, I still can’t work out the hot water side of things. Forgive me (possibly just being dim), but is it a case of selecting the temp (60oC) and leaving it a while? Or, is the hot supposed to come out at that temp on demand in the same way a combi boiler works?
Cheers now,
Oz

Hi Chris, I’m about to use our GC600 for the first time this weekend. Even though I’ve looked at lots of videos, I still can’t work out the hot water side of things. Forgive me (possibly just being dim), but is it a case of selecting the temp (60oC) and leaving it a while? Or, is the hot supposed to come out at that temp on demand in the same way a combi boiler works?
Cheers now,
Oz
Hi Oz , sorry to intervene, should take about 30/40 min to get to that temp once selected 10 amp or on gas mode, the gas mode I understand is more efficient so Truma say.

Will

Hi I've only used electicity to heat the water. You do have to plan ahead and turn the system on about 30mins before required. I've always the hotter setting as it seemed to give you more hot water for two quick showers

How many of you use Grandcalifornia as a daily car?. if someone's using it for example for 2 months per year it would be for me totally a waste of money

I agree that Grandcalifornia is more comfortable during the holidays then Cali, but what then? garage? not everyone has such a high garage. I use my California as daily car but I don't think it is possible with the Grandcalifornia.

We have also thought about buying a small Caravan, to tow to give us more room but worry about towing
I suggest the Eriba touring model, it is easy to tow and has good road holding. Even the new one looks like a classic, it keeps the price very well by resale

Back