Changing gas bottle. Removing cupboard cover

Frankyworthy

Frankyworthy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All,

Have read forum on gas etc.

Am in France and gas has run out, first time so expect a couple of challenges.

Firstly the dark grey/black cover does not come off easily. I don't want to force without knowing what to expect and breaking something.

Does it twist anti clockwise or lever off with screwdriver? It turn a little but feels like the bottle may be turning with it.

Please advise then I can get to grips with the bottle valves!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

It turns anti clockwise about 5 times the bottle is below the lid so it shouldn't be
Moving

Good luck getting it loose.
Please also note it is advised to close off the gas valve at the bottle when travelling (I was asked at customs about it before getting on the ferry to NL a few weeks ago), so in future it may not cease again as will need to be opened fairly regularly to get to the gas valve... :thumb

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tap/Pressure Regulator is not quit positioned properly and is fouling the lid. It should turn easily. It doesn't have to be seriously tightened as it
a. Has a seal
b. Butane is heavier than air.

Thanks all,

Armed with mallet and stick I managed to nudge it round till it turned free and right off. Simples.
Now to get some cheap gas from Super U.

Hi All,

Have read forum on gas etc.

Am in France and gas has run out, first time so expect a couple of challenges.

Firstly the dark grey/black cover does not come off easily. I don't want to force without knowing what to expect and breaking something.

Does it twist anti clockwise or lever off with screwdriver? It turn a little but feels like the bottle may be turning with it.

Please advise then I can get to grips with the bottle valves!

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Thanks All

Thanks all,

Armed with mallet and stick I managed to nudge it round till it turned free and right off. Simples.
Now to get some cheap gas from Super U.
Had the same problem. Vw said they'd have to strip out all the cupboards! I followed your method of a lump of wood and a mallet; worked a treat! Thanks.

I had that problem yesterday, discovered I had left the water tank drain tap in the drain position and that was stopping the lid from fully unscrewing....dooh!

Alan

Back