Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing Gas bottle

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Posted in here as I haven't done it yet in my first year of ownership. I need to get the bottle out to find out how much gas is left in it, I found out from another thread I can do that by weighing it. BUT (this is the silly question bit) - the manual talks about 'removing the empty bottle'.
I assume that just like a camping stove, I can remove it before it's empty without any gas escaping but I'd just like to be reassured that I'm right?

Posted in here as I haven't done it yet in my first year of ownership. I need to get the bottle out to find out how much gas is left in it, I found out from another thread I can do that by weighing it. BUT (this is the silly question bit) - the manual talks about 'removing the empty bottle'.
I assume that just like a camping stove, I can remove it before it's empty without any gas escaping but I'd just like to be reassured that I'm right?
Yep no problem.

Mike

Just turn all the valves off and then unscrew the regulator. Should be easy.

The big black plastic screw on the top of the bottle is the crucial one. Once that's screwed down (ie clockwise = shut) the only gas that can escape will be a tiny bit in the regulator and the pipes, and you can remove them and then hoik out the bottle (empty or not) with no fear.

Note that the regulator which attaches sideways to the bottle does so with a thread that turns the 'wrong' way (well it does on my van anyway) so don't be surprised by that.

I think you will fine that the regulator nut is a left hand thread in all Cali's.
How to tell? Those little grooves on corners of the nut as shown in this example.
upload_2017-5-15_11-44-43.jpeg

I have just checked!
It seems that the thread from the valve to the gas bottle is normal (right hand). The connection to the regulator is a left hand thread although not marked as I indicated above (although the instruction sheet I have indicates one of the nuts is marked with grooves and one is not!!). A picture is below.

Attachments

• Gas_Connection_Cali.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 67
Many thanks all - I'm glad I asked as these instructions and diagrams make me much happier about doing this job!

Gran,

Start to unscrew the silver thing that goes into the bronze thing that has a black knob on top.

If you hear it hissing then turn the black knob in whichever direction it can turn in until the hissing stops. Then continue to unscrew the silver thing until it falls away from the bronze thing. You can now unscrew the bronze regulator from the bottle and the bottle can be lifted out .

I am one of those that cannot tell left from right so have to go by ear :D

Last edited:
Or, get hold of the smaller 904 and use as a spare. Same fittings, same diameter but shorter. Otherwise you'll be weighing the 907 every time you go away wondering if you have enough gas.;);)

Or.... get one of those little one burner camping gaz stoves http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-camp-bistro-2-stove-p396379

Comes in it's own Little carry box, takes up hardly any room and will last long enough until you get home and change the big bottle that has just run out. I have mine in Albert at present as it's over a year since I changed the bottle so it must be getting low.

Many thanks all - I'm glad I asked as these instructions and diagrams make me much happier about doing this job!
I keep a 901 as a spare, it is the smallest one, so doesn't take much space. I hate throwing away good gas, and find those last few dregs when you shake a bottle( or weigh it) still lasts ages......but so annoying if you run out mid meal
I plug the 901 in....same fitting....then when I refill the big one, put the smaller into storage,,,,,,I have never had to refill the little one.

Just a thought at present which I'll probably adopt.

It should be possible to remove the regulator and then screw the carry handle back on with the bottle still in position.
Next take a spring balance, hook it on and lift the bottle to check the weight. saving actually lifting the bottle out then back in.

I don't have full and empty bottle weights as yet but I will investigate .

I did once try to exchange a very very nearly empty bottle before a holiday trip and the 'shop' wouldn't accept it as it had gas in!!
Took it back home and let the last trace of gas out then went back again to replace.

Type of spring balance I'm thinking of, obviously higher spec ones on the market.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-...155660?hash=item4891a5024c:g:quIAAOSwawpXquni

Digital alternative
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pocket-50...e655aed&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=291112081908

Last edited:
Fit a snap connector like this.
Makes it easier to lift the bottle out and the regulator can be removed with the bottle out of the van.

Or.... get one of those little one burner camping gaz stoves http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-camp-bistro-2-stove-p396379

Comes in it's own Little carry box, takes up hardly any room and will last long enough until you get home and change the big bottle that has just run out. I have mine in Albert at present as it's over a year since I changed the bottle so it must be getting low.

Great minds - I carry the very small gas stove I used to take when camping on my trike, it takes up even less room than the one in your link. And the reason I want to find out how much gas I have left (roughly) is because I've now had the van almost a year and it started with a full bottle, so I'd like an idea of how much I use.

The 907 last many meals and ketlles of water.
We also use a small outside coocker for meat and bacon preventing the Cali smelling like a fish&chips shop.
Just lift the botlle up if you wiggle it and still feel the (fluid)gas shaking you are fine for at least a week or two camping.
Before a big trip i take it out and weigh it to be sure ...
Get yourself a second 904 as spare (carboothsale) and when the botlle is low change it . Hold it aside and use it for short trips (weekend ) or as some got a Cadac or a outside coocker/bbq to fit it on.

No offence, but for me the idea of taking another cooker, larger than the built-in one, comes under the same heading as putting up the sides for the awning...

"Stuff I don't have to do now I'm not in a tent"

:happy

No offence, but for me the idea of taking another cooker, larger than the built-in one, comes under the same heading as putting up the sides for the awning...

"Stuff I don't have to do now I'm not in a tent"

:happy

I agree , but still a small (and cheap) outside coocker with those trow away cans can come handy . And gives a bbq feeling coocking outside when the weather is good .
For me , we use it just for meat and bacon ..to prevent smells inside the Cali.
Takes up very little space AND you got a backup if the 907 should go empty during your trip.

Belive me , i work the principe :" less is more " in my Cali .

Great minds - I carry the very small gas stove I used to take when camping on my trike, it takes up even less room than the one in your link. And the reason I want to find out how much gas I have left (roughly) is because I've now had the van almost a year and it started with a full bottle, so I'd like an idea of how much I use.

I was fascinated with the "how much do I use" question. However my lifestyle use has changed so much it's all become academic. In the beginning my cooking exploits were mammoth, I would spend hours at it and the van would steam up like a Sally army soup kitchen on steroids, Afterwards I would spend equal time and gas boiling water for the vast amounts of washing up I created. Even then it was 30 nights before I needed to change the bottle.

Now my washing up is minimal as most of my cutlery and plates are disposable and most of my cooking is pre-cooked then frozen at home. I am currently running a bottle that is over a year old, 70 nights. I do make a lot of use of my portable cooker though so fairly dependent on finding a hook-up for at least part of my time away.

My cooking habits haven't changed much, I like a fried breakfast at least once in each week or weekend away, some things come out of tins or packets for heating up or adding boiling water (cous cous for instance), some things I can take frozen from my home-made selection in the freezer. I enjoy some pub meals, but I MUST have dozens of cups of tea!

Oh and of course now I have a fridge , I can take some fresh or frozen food, and salad!

Washing up or trow away plates is a diffrent story @GrannyJen .
I do not like trow away cups&plates , every wast is waste even if they say it is biodegradeable , almost every campsite has wash-up facilitys so why use trow away ...?
When not an a campsite it is diffrent , i agree but if we eat a sandwich for lunch and wipe off the plates u can perfect eat dinner on thesame plate , a glas can be used the whole day to drink out , thesame as we do it when at home.

Boiling water to wash up indeed takes a lot of gas and fresh water out the (small) tank.
We travel many times one or each two days a campsite and ,
I use a thermos witch a fill with hot water at any occacion i can when on campsites or public toilet witch i use to wash up during the day or when not on a campsite at the evening.

I also fill up the ketlle with water and place it in front of the heater outlet (if it runs) at night to pre-heat the water...
All small things to save gas!