Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing Headlight bulbs on new California

Bajers

Bajers

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi All,
Can anyone help with this please?
I am trying to change and upgrade the headlight bulbs on my 2018 T6 California but am stumped!
It's the separate main/dipped H7 halogen bulbs and according to the manual (and every other headlight bulb I have changed over the years), the bulbs should be held on place by a spring clips, looped over the bulbs.
Looking at the main beam arrangement (photo attached), there is absolutely no spring clip to undo, rather, it looks like a metal plate that is simply a push fit onto 4 plastic retaining posts.
I have tried gently trying to pull this off but its not budging.
Has anyone else experienced this please and if so, how do you get the b****r off??20190202_184325.jpg
The photo is actually looking into the unit with the rubber cover removed.
Cheers.

Looking closer at the photo...I think I might have answered my own question.:(
It looks like the only thing holding the bulb in place is two spring lugs at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I wonder if I got a small flat bladed screwdriver and pushed them back slightly, whether this would release the bulb?
Too cold and dark to do it now, I will have a look in the morning!
Love the van but the standard Halogen lights are appalling.
I would have expected at least HID as standard by now.

Looking closer at the photo...I think I might have answered my own question.:(
It looks like the only thing holding the bulb in place is two spring lugs at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I wonder if I got a small flat bladed screwdriver and pushed them back slightly, whether this would release the bulb?
Too cold and dark to do it now, I will have a look in the morning!
Love the van but the standard Halogen lights are appalling.
I would have expected at least HID as standard by now.
That’s the conclusion I came to but it’s hardly a quality design if that’s the way it’s meant to release. Good luck!

Looks like there should be a simple tool for this which releases the clamps and positions the new bulb. If it is, it is probably a lot easier than fiddling with the older 'clamps' design on a spot where fingers normally do not come. If not, this is probably the most insane designed part of the van.

Hi Alan,
Looking at replacing with Halogen bulbs but probably the Philips X-treme Vision type as they claim they are 130% brighter and a more whiter light.

No idea if they will be any better than standard but I am so disappointed with the standard bulbs (very, very yellow output).

I have now managed to get the existing bulbs out to have a look at them and interestingly, they are already Philips H7 but not sure if they are the X-treme Vision ones!

Easy enough to come out, albeit a tight and fiddly. On this new clip, it's just a case of applying a bit of pressure to one of the side clips and then sliding them out. Replacement, as long as you have them orientated correctly is simply a gentle push fit and they click into place.

Cheers.

I'm interested how you find these compared to standard H7's.

So 130% brighter....does that mean better than double the brightness?

I will post and let you know results when I have done them and try to do a before and after video.
I am not expecting a massive improvement to be honest. If there was there would be no market for HID and LED lights, but anything has got to be better than what's in now.
Not to labour a point but I really feel ripped off with the current lights, considering what you pay for the vehicle. I would have thought HID as standard at least.
I suppose I have been spoilt with my Qashqai which has LED as standard which are magnificent.
Sorry, rant over!

I will post and let you know results when I have done them and try to do a before and after video.
I am not expecting a massive improvement to be honest. If there was there would be no market for HID and LED lights, but anything has got to be better than what's in now.
Not to labour a point but I really feel ripped off with the current lights, considering what you pay for the vehicle. I would have thought HID as standard at least.
I suppose I have been spoilt with my Qashqai which has LED as standard which are magnificent.
Sorry, rant over!
Think yourself lucky you don’t have H4s...

Is there any chance that upgrading H 7s could
melt the headlights ?

Is there any chance that upgrading H 7s could
melt the headlights ?
They do run hotter. That is the reason why these updated bulbs have a shorter lifespan. As to whether they would damage the reflector or lens/glass, unlikely.

Personally I find nothing wrong with the H7s on my SE. Maybe they have changed on the T6, and I do a lot of night driving.
LED and HID lights might be good for the user but for other motorists they can be b****y dangerous.
I think if you need that much light then a visit to the Optician’s is in order first.

Just my opinion.

That is the reason why these updated bulbs have a shorter lifespan.
Yeah, i wondered why the philips H7 extreme led only had
a 5yr guarantee.
A mate of mine upgraded years ago on his sportline T5 so I'm
guessing that they were H4´s, anyway it burnt the lense inside.
He reckoned it was cos of the clip on beam deflector for european
driving that didn't allow the light stay cool whilst driving.

Personally I find nothing wrong with the H7s on my SE. Maybe they have changed on the T6, and I do a lot of night driving.
LED and HID lights might be good for the user but for other motorists they can be b****y dangerous.
I think if you need that much light then a visit to the Optician’s is in order first.

Just my opinion.
Ha!
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion Weshgas.
Glad you are happy with your set up. :thumb

I agree with Welsh gas. What's this obsession with needing lights as bright as the surface of the sun all the time? I find mine fine. No they aren't led. And I drive in the dark with them too. Put some glasses on if your eyes are that bad you need to light up the road with 2 white dwarf class stars on your bonnet

Try driving a Mk2 golf on a dark night with headlight technology from 1987.....:confused:

Are you two opticians by any chance??o_O

I agree with Welsh gas. What's this obsession with needing lights as bright as the surface of the sun all the time? I find mine fine. No they aren't led. And I drive in the dark with them too. Put some glasses on if your eyes are that bad you need to light up the road with 2 white dwarf class stars on your bonnet
We managed to drive in the dark for the last 40 years , without servo steering, without GPS, why can't we anymore without led headlights today ?

Is it because of the average age of Cali owners that this kind of thread always deteriorates into a low-grade version of the four Yorkshiremen sketch?

Is it because of the average age of Cali owners that this kind of thread always deteriorates into a low-grade version of the four Yorkshiremen sketch?

Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine!

I agree the H7 headlight are poor. I use them in combination with the fog lights, this helps reducing their weakness. But not ordering the LED lights was a mistake.

Hi All,
I am trying to change and upgrade the headlight bulbs on my 2018 T6 California but am stumped!
It's the separate main/dipped H7 halogen bulbs and according to the manual (and every other headlight bulb I have changed over the years), the bulbs should be held on place by a spring clips, looped over the bulbs.
Looking at the main beam arrangement (photo attached), there is absolutely no spring clip to undo, rather, it looks like a metal plate that is simply a push fit onto 4 plastic retaining posts.
Has anyone else experienced this please and if so, how do you get the b****r off??View attachment 41127
Cheers.

If your bulbs are H7s you need to turn them through 90 degrees (anti-clockwise) to remove them. From memory they can be very snug!

Hi All,
Has anyone else experienced this please and if so, how do you get the b****r off??View attachment 41127
Cheers.
Hi I have done this change it is simple.
You just pull the bulb out by force. The two spring clips at 3 and 9 oclock is just holding the bulb. No tools are requered. Do not take out the metal plate that belong to the light. In the manual is old system light with spring wire that is mistake.
I have than a problem to disponnect the black plastic with the wire. As the conntact was holding on the bulb so strong. I think it is nod good production inside the conntact as in the bulb is small hole that secure position. It is hard job as there is no place for my big hands. Good luck
Miroslav