Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing Leisure Battery Charger

T2-Haz

T2-Haz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,
I have a 2012 SE with the leisure battery charger located under the fridge compartment. Recent gremlins occurred where the leisure battery wouldn't charge and no mains hook up symbol showing on the control panel.

Armed with info from this forum I checked : -

the kettle plug was pushed in firmly
The little fuse behind the the socket
RCD's checked - these were OK as the 240v plug on the side was working fine.
Fuse under passenger seat
Multi meter checking across leisure battery batteries....

You get the idea.

Everything pointed to a duff charger.

Took the plunge and ordered a used & tested charger from T5 Cotswold, delivered and tested today in the van, and all appears to be working and the mains symbol is back on the control panel. YAY!!

So.....At the moment the charger is just sat in the bottom of the cupboard, my question is has anybody tackled removing the old charger from its location and installing a replacement? I've searched but no joy....... last resort is the main dealer. The thought of the kitchen being removed does terrify me!

Or can anybody suggest anybody in the Hampshire (or nearby) area that could do this?

If i recall correct the fridge must come out . Sure this has been written somewhere on the forum in the past .

Hi All,
I have a 2012 SE with the leisure battery charger located under the fridge compartment. Recent gremlins occurred where the leisure battery wouldn't charge and no mains hook up symbol showing on the control panel.

You get the idea.

Took the plunge and ordered a used & tested charger from T5 Cotswold, delivered and tested today in the van, and all appears to be working and the mains symbol is back on the control panel. YAY!!

So.....At the moment the charger is just sat in the bottom of the cupboard, my question is has anybody tackled removing the old charger from its location and installing a replacement? I've searched but no joy....... last resort is the main dealer. The thought of the kitchen being removed does terrify me!

Or can anybody suggest anybody in the Hampshire (or nearby) area that could do this?
If i recall correct the fridge must come out . Sure this has been written somewhere on the forum in the past .
Yes the Fridge has to be lifted up/out.
Remove glass lid.
There are some screws in the L hand kitchen cupboard.
Disconnect wires.
Lift fridge vertically upwards.

I think as @hotel california said there is a previous thread detailing this procedure.

Why don't you just leave the charger in place, reroute the wires, and install the new charger above the rear battery?
Isn't that the "new" place of that charger?

Hi All,

You get the idea.

Found it.
VIP Resources section - look for Earth Shunt Repair.

Thank you @hotel california & @WelshGas

Found the info on earth shunt repair so I shall give that a go.

@TripleBee - thanks, that was going to be plan B if the entire unit had to come out, and it might still be if if for whatever reason fridge removal doesn’t work out.

I shall update you all in due course. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@TripleBee his tip is very clever ...

This has got me thinking now as @TripleBee suggests, moving the charger to the rear leisure battery.

A quick scan of the forum suggests this was done to improve cooling? Are there any other reasons?

If I can get the fridge out without a big fight then I may remove the old charger all together and extend the cables to the leisure battery compartment and fit the replacement charger there as per @TripleBee

Thanks everybody, feeling good about this.

I've just ordered a solar kit from Roger Donoghue on here.

I'm seeing another benefit now.

It provides a backup to the fitted battery chargers.

Hi,

Little update on this, decided to give it a go, thanks to the brilliant earth shunt repair doc, the fridge came out with a bit of encouragement, along with all the gubbins, compressor unit & battery charger.

Luckily I didn’t have to remove or touch the hob on my van.

Once on the bench, swapped the charger and got everything back in place and buttoned up, tested and all systems normal. Sorted .

Total time taken - 1.5 hours.
Total number of cuts to hand - 4.

Thanks for all the replies above.

Sagging roof next!!

3ec0774ecffb4b111290aede03ab39ad.jpg

Back