Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing the language of stereo/nav on 2006 T5

jliungman

jliungman

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi!

My California T5 from 2006 was originally bought in Poland. I can use the radio, but all menues etc are in Polish, and pressing Nav just gives me something that looks like an error message in Polish with the word "DVD" in it.
I am beginning to suspect that I need to get a DVD from somewhere to run the GPS... But before that, can I change the language? Or does that also require the magical DVD (which I did not get when I bought the car).
(Being a technical writer I realize that "read the f**** manual" is the correct answer, but that also happens to be missing. Trying to become a VIP member to download one, but failing miserably...)

Pic of radio/GPS attached.

Thankful for any advice

John

64243354_404228013535544_7100149078561914880_n.jpg

Hi!

My California T5 from 2006 was originally bought in Poland. I can use the radio, but all menues etc are in Polish, and pressing Nav just gives me something that looks like an error message in Polish with the word "DVD" in it.
I am beginning to suspect that I need to get a DVD from somewhere to run the GPS... But before that, can I change the language? Or does that also require the magical DVD (which I did not get when I bought the car).
(Being a technical writer I realize that "read the f**** manual" is the correct answer, but that also happens to be missing. Trying to become a VIP member to download one, but failing miserably...)

Pic of radio/GPS attached.

Thankful for any advice

John

View attachment 46962
What do you see when you Press INFO? Try a Long Press as well.

Also, do you have a Dashboard Display? Sometimes the Language change function can be on the MFD.

What do you see when you Press INFO? Try a Long Press as well.

Also, do you have a Dashboard Display? Sometimes the Language change function can be on the MFD.

Thanks for your reply! I will check, but its bound to be in polish. However, I have now come across a manual for the particular radio (MFD2), and I might be able to make the change blindly. Or try to do Google translate on the fly! :)

This is the systems settings menu. The first option ”Jezyk” means language, but is greyed out.
F2B612D6-81AE-4D92-9ED2-79B0CE0AEFBF.jpeg

That's the only way i know of changing the language on the radio.47020

I personally would throw that piece of junk out of it and buy something more up to date.
If you still are able to buy a new, or at least a more recent DVD with old maps, maybe even second hand, it might be possible that the language is on the DVD. But then you'd still have obsolete maps.

Those I call pieces of crap.
The fact is that at one point, a multimedia system is just out of date, and might not have the possibility to update (in this case) the maps, making it far from ideal to navigate.
I myself had an RCD 310, and have taken out that junk to install a piece of crap, but now I have navigation with up to date maps. If that piece of crap start to fail, I am going to get rid of that crap and try to find something new that is less crap than the previous piece of.

I just told what I would do, not what you have to do.
Some lower their California, some put on not original alloys, some get their seats retrofitted with leather,...
I don't like all these things, but I won't say you can't do it. I just say that I wouldn't do it for this or that reason.

Each for his own, and I didn't want to offend anyone. :Iamsorry

Hey triplebee no offence taken.
I don't need the latest in multimedia maps, a quick glance at a paper
map is all i need.
Get rid of the crap stuff :thumb

No problems.
I also always take a paper Michelin map with me.
A GPS is wonderful to find your way at the destination, but is mostly useless if you want to take a certain route.
A paper map is wonderful to overlook your route to your destination, but is mostly unusuable to find your destination in a big city. Then you would need a more detailed plan, but who carries paper plans of all the big and small cities in the world?

Paper and electronics is the perfect combination if you know how to use them.

And for the price of 1 original unit, I can have over 5 crap units. So until all 5 are used up, I probably won't have my beloved blue one anymore (or maybe ??).

Nice, since when is it possible to use non VW CD/DVD in those systems?

If so, that piece of junk, is no longer junk.

Nice, since when is it possible to use non VW CD/DVD in those systems?

If so, that piece of junk, is no longer junk.
Not sure where you get the “ Non VW “ bit from. Have you read the advert properly?

If I read the advert it only states that it is for MFD2, but on an "original" VW DVD, there won't be BOSCH all over it.
All the VW or Audi DVD's I have seen will have a print of the countries, or another print with some text for legal reasons, but not printed BOSCH in big letters over it.

So, now again: since when can you find non-VW DVD's for VW units?
Do they have the same for RNS 510 and so?

If I read the advert it only states that it is for MFD2, but on an "original" VW DVD, there won't be BOSCH all over it.
All the VW or Audi DVD's I have seen will have a print of the countries, or another print with some text for legal reasons, but not printed BOSCH in big letters over it.

So, now again: since when can you find non-VW DVD's for VW units?
Do they have the same for RNS 510 and so?
Bosch TomTom SatNav Discs are available for Ford , Mercedes and a number of Japanese car makers.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I agree that getting a modern system might be a good idea. Not so much for navigation (I dont know why they put that in any car, I have Waze for free on my phone) but for bluetooth connectivity. But then again I hate throwing stuff away. I guess I could buy a bluetooth ”dongle”...

I have 2018 maps in my original satnav (2006 model), i have also converted it to accept DAB + and handsfree - the junk is working fine :D

I’m giving my 2006 California to its new owner tomorrow. Last year I bought a new DVD with uptodate maps. I still have the original one (2006 maps) so, if you don’t mind having maps with some roundabout missing, I can give it to you

I’m giving my 2006 California to its new owner tomorrow. Last year I bought a new DVD with uptodate maps. I still have the original one (2006 maps) so, if you don’t mind having maps with some roundabout missing, I can give it to you
Hi!
Thanks a LOT for the very kind offer! Apologies for not replying for a year...
Cheers!

John

I have 2018 maps in my original satnav (2006 model), i have also converted it to accept DAB + and handsfree - the junk is working fine :D
Nice! Have you set up some kind of Bluetooth connection? (Sorry about the very very late reply...)
John

Back