Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing the leisure batteries

C

camper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
OK so there a re loads of thread about this but I didn't find a full write up. My 2009 T5 was on the original VW batteries, 7 years old. On modest use we'd be out of power after 2 nights, so not bad, but not great. Recently I noticed the Webasto heater would fire but switch off after 5 minutes or so. Could be all sorts of reasons for that, but I thought I'd swap the leisure batteries first and start with a steady voltage.

Here's a quick write up for anyone wanting to do the same.

Batteries on my SE are located at foot of wardrobe and under passenger seat. Mine were Varta 3D0915105H 180 wide x 320 length x 200 height. Source your new batteries as the exact size of old ones but remember more Ah means more stored power. I went with Alpha supplied batteries at 90Ah and checked that they come with a 3 year warranty (and are the exact size or a touch smaller). £180 delivered. On delivery, trickle charge the new batteries til both are full as you are going to connect them up by the van circuit. You don't want different charge in them on installation, better they are balanced before you fit.
Next remove the old batteries. First I disconnected the positive from the 'starter battery' under the bonnet, the idea being the electronics will be isolated so nothing can get messed up. Next disconnect both the front and rear leisure battery cable connections to the battery terminals. Mov the rear seat forward to give you more room then access the rear battery with a flat blade screwdriver to the access hatch latch. There is enough cable to lift this battery out and into the boot to do the work. Just remove the retaining nut holding the retaining bracket. Easy. Next remove the passenger seat (yikes! - no, it's quite easy to do). Wind the 'seat back' forward as if you were going to swivel it then remove the 2 nuts to the rear holding the seat rails to the car (slide the seat forward for easy access). Next slide the seat backwards to easily remove the 2 nuts to the front.***CAREFUL*** The seat is still attached by cables for the seat heater and the air bag. I didn't disconnect these cables, rather I gently set the seat off centre so I could remove the front leisure battery and install the new one. Reinstall the front seat, connect the engine positive to the engine starter battery and I was good to go. 100% battery charge on the leisure side. Webasto heater works a treat.

Hope theat helps someone.

Thanks, very helpful post, need to get on and change batteries. I have same issue with the heater - my van is 06.

Thanks, very helpful post, need to get on and change batteries. I have same issue with the heater - my van is 06.

There are a few of us here with older vans then! My heater works a treat having swapped out the old leisure batteries. Hope you get the same result.... cheers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few of us here with older vans then! My heater works a treat having swapped out the old leisure batteries. Hope you get the same result.... cheers...

Just got around to disposing of my old batteries. Council tip man told me to try a scrap yard. They paid me £8 each. Winner.

Just got around to disposing of my old batteries. Council tip man told me to try a scrap yard. They paid me £8 each. Winner.

Great tip!