Changing the Light Switch T6

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I would love to have the "AUTO" light funktion on my Switch.

It is very simple to change the Switch itself, but does it need any programming, or other? Or is the feature in the Switch?

$_1.JPG Chrome-Head-Light-Control-Switch-Car-Auto-Headlight-Sensor-For-for-VW-golf-5-6-jetta.jpg

I think it might be linked to the module that controls the automatic wipers as well. I am sure it is not as simple as just changing the switch.

I just need the light to turn on when the engine is on. Not to automatically go on when it gets dark. Here its mandatory to hav lights on at all times.

Works with a light and rain sensor on the windscreen I think.

Yes, all linked to the sensor on the windscreen. located behind the mirror.
I wish the rear lights came on with the DRLs, never understood why they don't, seems just as if not more important to me.

I wish the rear lights came on with the DRLs, never understood why they don't, seems just as if not more important to me.

I agree - I'd like to be able to have the rear lights on with the daylight running lights too.

I agree - I'd like to be able to have the rear lights on with the daylight running lights too.

:Iamsorry But definitely Disagree with that. The whole point of DRL's is as a warning of a moving vehicle, or a vehicle capable of moving. If you are behind a moving vehicle then you are more aware if it is moving. If you are in front, not so easy to identify movement and certainly not the capability of movement.
Having rear sidelights on by day:
1. They are low wattage, 5w compared with headlights or LED DRL's
2. They will distract from the Brake lights, especially in sunlight.

It has been proven that they are of no benefit, whereas Front lights - Headlamp and now Led DRL's are of benefit.:thumb

It has been proven that they are of no benefit, whereas Front lights - Headlamp and now Led DRL's are of benefit.:thumb
Don't agree with that. When you're driving on a road with tunnels it would be convenient if you don't have to switch lights on and off all the time. DRL should cover front and back.

Well not everyone agrees that DRLs are a benefit. There are numerous pressure groups that claim to have evidence that they are not of benefit. Notably in Austria the government overturned the legal requirement for DRLs.
Personally I think that anything that denotes the presence of a vehicle is of benefit whether it's moving or not.
There are plenty of drivers who don't turn their lights soon enough in my opinion, dusk and general poor visibilty being the main problem time where drivers can see relatively well so don't consider that lights are necessary. Rear lights coming on with ignition would prevent this.

Actually I am not interested in any sensor automatic (DRL). Just that the lights turn on, when the engine is running (AUTO). Now I have to turn the switch every time i want proper lights. Quite annoying.

All cars in Denmark are supposed to drive with lights all day. Many new cars do not turn on rear lights automatically. You have to use the switch, but many do forget that even in the night, fog or heavy rain – it causes unnecessary dangerous situations.

Actually the sensor isn't very good for tunnels. It takes a couple of seconds to activate by which time you can be well inside the tunnel.

Don't agree with that. When you're driving on a road with tunnels it would be convenient if you don't have to switch lights on and off all the time. DRL should cover front and back.
That's called Driving. Tunnel - Lights on. Fog - Lights On. Dusk - Lights On. Poor visibility - Lights On.
That's what Driving is all about. Not just pressing the peddles and turning the wheel.

Instead of making everything convenient there should be more traffic police and more on the spot fines so that people are aware they are driving a killing machine that they are responsible for their actions.:headbang:headbang:headbang

Anyway - RANT over.

Returning to the subject of the OP, if you just want the lights on all the time the engine is running then I don't think you need the "Auto" switch at all. I would suggest that you either need the standard switch variant for countries where daytime low-beam lights (not DRLs) are mandatory (like Norway?) or rewire your existing switch to achieve this. As suggested above it's possible that this could be more simply achieved by reprogramming (VAGcom, VCDS) - an auto electrician should be able to help in either case (no pun intended).

For ambient light dependent activation (that the Auto switch is intended for) I think you would need something like this:

http://www.valeoservice.com/html/cz...rchivesdetail.php?wid=138230734048456CC1CA181

Relatively inexpensive here in the UK but of course you would have to fit and wire yourself. Alternatively, there seems to be VW specific kits available, for example here:

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Lighting/Switches/

with fitting video here:

N.B. no connection to sellers and no product endorsement intended.

Last edited:
Is the lights still on if you turn off the ignition and lock the doors?
Sounds strange to me. Maybe something is not programmed correct in your car?

That's called Driving. Tunnel - Lights on. Fog - Lights On. Dusk - Lights On. Poor visibility - Lights On.
That's what Driving is all about. Not just pressing the peddles and turning the wheel.

Instead of making everything convenient there should be more traffic police and more on the spot fines so that people are aware they are driving a killing machine that they are responsible for their actions.:headbang:headbang:headbang

Anyway - RANT over.
Reminds me of the story about the bloke in America who put on the cruise control in his RV, went into the back to make a brew and it crashed. He though it was on autopilot and it would be ok.:confused: