Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing the Speed Display on VW T5 California Dash Insert

S

Stu

Guest User
Changing the Speed Display on VW T5.GP California Dash Insert - 7E0 920 970 E

Preamble

The factory setting of the dash insert in the T5.GP is such that it will display KMH in the lower section of the Driver Information Display (DIS) which when in the UK is mostly useless. There is away to alter the behaviour of the DIS to show a large and much more useful MPH display instead of the normal KMH one and with the ability to switch the KMH display on for Euro Touring.

OEMDisplay.jpg

Tools Required
• VCDS Diagnostic Tool

Steps Required
1. Plug in the VCDS cable to the ODB port on the van, which can be found on the drivers side just above the accelerator pedal.

2. Switch on the ignition and load up VCDS on your computer. Always ensure you have the current release of the software available from http://www.Ross-Tech.com.

3. Assuming you have not already done so, proceed to make a backup copy of your vehicle’s factory configuration. See my guide “making a backup copy of your vehicle factory configuration” for further details.

4. Ensure your vehicle is clear of any fault codes before starting, if there are any fault codes keep a copy of the scan and then reset the fault code.

5. Select the Control Module by clicking ‘Select’ in the VCDS main screen and then choose 17-Instruments.

Select17Instruments.png

6. The software will login to the controller, interrogate it for fault codes and display relevant information about the controller. You can see from this screen that VCDS is using the 5K0-920-xxx-17 Label File which means our California Dash Insert shares some likeness to the 2009 onwards MK6 Golf (5K Chassis) which would also use the same label file.

At this point it is important to note that although this procedure works on many Dash Inserts in terms of California I have currently only tested it on my 7E0 920 970 E unit.

17OpenController.png

7. From this screen choose ‘Coding – 07’ which will open the Recode Module screen and display the current coding.

17LongCodingHelper.png

8. Click ‘Long Coding Helper’ which will take you to the Binary / Hex coding editor built into VCDS.

17SelectCountryGB.png

You can see that this is a 3 Byte Controller, Bytes 0, 1 & 2 shown at item 3. In this case we want to edit Byte 0 which is the first displayed Byte so no searching around required for this one. Byte 0, Bits 4-7 handle the Country Code, in our case GB.

9. This part of Long Coding Helper contains a dropdown menu choice where we will make our changes.

17SelectCountry.png

10. For this tweak we need to select Australia (AUS).

17SelectCountryAUS.png

11. Once you’ve selected Australia choose ‘Exit’ which will return you back to the slightly different looking Recode Module screen. You will note that the new coding is now shown in the New Coding box. Press ‘Do It’ to save this coding to the Controller.

17SaveCoding.png

12. When the coding has been saved to the Controller you will be presented with a small confirmation box to acknowledge the new coding has been accepted by the Controller, choose ‘OK’.

17CodingAccepted.png

13. Now that you have changed and stored the new code it’s time to close the Controller by choosing ‘Close Controller, Go Back – 06’ and if necessary you can close VCDS and unplug the OBD cable from the Van.

14. To finish off this neat little tweak we need to make some changes with the menu on the DIS. Select Settings and then look for ‘Alt. speed dis’ which should be ticked, remove this tick and choose ‘back’.

AltDisSpeedOn.jpg

AltSpeedDisOff.jpg

15. Next choose ‘MFD Data’ and scroll down where you will find ‘Digit. Speed’, place a tick in this box.

DigitSpeedOff.jpg

DigitSpeedOn.jpg

16. Finally we will need to set the units back to ‘MPG (GB) mi’. Choose ‘Units’ and you’ll find that the Dash Insert has defaulted to ‘l/100km km’. Select the ‘MPG (GB) mi’ setting

MPGGBOff.jpg

MPGGBOn.jpg

17. Exit out of the menu to your new large MPH display and give yourself a pat on the back whilst remarking about how clever you are.

LargeMPHDisplay.jpg

To access the KM display when in the EU etc then simply dive back into the menu on your DIS and select 'Alt. speed dis'. :thumb

Re: Changing the Speed Display on VW T5 California Dash Inse

I'm pretty sure that the KPH thing was some sort to EU Reg that came in at the same time as the Euro5 engines.

Impressive - would like to have that on my van - Stu???

No problem, 2 minute job when our paths cross - Where are you?

I've not checked but I'm assuming the Beach has the same Dash Insert as the SE.

Stu said:

Stu

It looks the same - as I understand it there are three levels of DIS - I am in Southend on Sea Essex - but I would be happy to come to you.

Might be nice for you to look at a Beach insert - to see if there are any diferences - in that sense would be happy for you to look at my van.

I have PM'd you

James

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :barmy

california180 said:
I'll show you mine if you show me yours :barmy

Oooo Errrr :laugh2 :hello

Stu said:

Stu,

Leading question but are you bringing your laptop to the Hollands Wood meet? :D

Simon

shambly said:
Stu said:

Stu,

Leading question but are you bringing your laptop to the Hollands Wood meet? :D

Simon

Of course Simon. :thumb

Thanks Stu, what a difference a few minutes work makes to the display. Why does VW UK not bring them in to the country this way, much safer having a HIGH visibility digital speedo than a low vis kpm display.

sleepyjoe said:
Thanks Stu, what a difference a few minutes work makes to the display. Why does VW UK not bring them in to the country this way, much safer having a HIGH visibility digital speedo than a low vis kpm display.

Have you done yours?? Did I miss anything with the guide?

Hi,
My dash info is in red, can that be changed? I hope it isn't in red because it is warning me of something?

The red will likely be the older model so this wouldn't apply.

Is your van pre 2010?

Yes I have done mine (2010 180 4Motion) and your guide made it simplicity itself. :D Many thanks for your help. :thumb

Just for my own interest would you mind sending me a copy of your Autoscan by PM (paste the text is fine or I'll give you my email addy) and also let me know what the spec of your van is??

I'll be able to compare it with mine and see what if any the differences are. :thumb

I will get on it as soon as my many house guests move on (I'm on a main tourist route!!). :boohoo

Let me know if the is anything else I can do. :barmy

Thanks.

If I see anything that looks 'interesting' I'll let you know. :thumb

Hi

Does anyone know if this procedure changes the RNS510 to display KM instead of miles?

In the main settings I think.

Hi

Finally got around to doing this and it works fine for MPH but when unticking the alt speed box I can't get it to display KPH!!! am I missing something?

Ollie

How is your fridge Lee?

Interesting. I have an NZ spec van with primary speedo in kmh. I can select alt speed in mph which is the small display. When I ship my van to the uk I'd prefer to turn the main large mfd speed display to mph which this would imply can be done.

Hi Stu,
do you know how to change the rear fog lights over for UK roads? If you know the module or codes that need changing that would help

Thanks

Alex

Back