Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging via the 12v Socket

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I seem to have suffered the same non charging issue on mains as per a number of other threads I've read, which is ironic has the battery charger plagued me in my old T4, and one of the reasons for updating to a newer van.

I have power to the van 240 socket, and the prong on the console. I've checked the power cable to the charger and it is seated correctly, so beyond that i don't have too much time to investigate as we are planning our first trip away in the van tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that the charger has worked since I have owned it, but is now sat at constant 12v and 40% charge on the console. I did remove the rear battery to attach to my Accumate conditioner a little while back so thinking I may have disturbed something.

As a temporary measure, the Accumate conditioner (similar to CTEK) that has a 12v cigar lighter adapter. Would there be any issue with using this charging via the 12v socket next at the end of the kitchen unit next to the 240 socket? I believe these are powered by the leisure battery.

Just to add it's an August 2015 SE with the charger above the rear battery.

Thanks

As a temporary measure, the Accumate conditioner (similar to CTEK) that has a 12v cigar lighter adapter. Would there be any issue with using this charging via the 12v socket next at the end of the kitchen unit next to the 240 socket? I believe these are powered by the leisure battery.
That'll be fine.

Thanks. Didn't seem to want to play for some reason on the kitchen one, but is working fine on the dash 12v.

That would be because it sounds like on your van the cab 12v socket is off the leisure batteries & the end of kitchen one is off the starter battery.

Some T5.1 were wired like that, some weren't!

Agree with the possibility of the 12v socket next to the mains socket on the end of kitchen unit could be wired to the engine battery, not the leisure ones.
I have also used the cigarette lighter attachment on my CTEK charger through the socket on the ashtray to charge the engine battery as the solar currently feeds only the leisure ones. I plugged the CTEK into the inverter ,, yes , I know it’s highly inefficient to do it that way but ....

Just to follow up on this, I have checked and have power to the charger above the rear battery. Is there anything else I can check (fuses etc) before I look to replace the unit? When the unit in my t4 failed it kept tripping the breaker which gives me some hope it's not gone.

Frustrating if it has failed as the van is only 5 years old, the one in the T4 lasted 25..

Thanks, we have power to the van via the usual socket, and have been charging on mains via the arrangement above. Not ideal but keeps the fridge going!

Loz, where is the glass fuse located? I had a good poke around yesterday and could not see anything. Thanks
1618815297848.png

Kettle plug in place and glass fuse intact. Assume the unit has failed but going to remove and test, and going to see if I can get it repaired locally before replacing.

As aside, when it had the EHU lead plugged in, but the kettle lead not plugged in, the plug icon does not show on the display.

Kettle plug in place and glass fuse intact. Assume the unit has failed but going to remove and test, and going to see if I can get it repaired locally before replacing.

As aside, when it had the EHU lead plugged in, but the kettle lead not plugged in, the plug icon does not show on the display.
The Plug icon only shows when there is a 12v + output from the Mains Charger.

Very strange then as the batteries are not charging? Not sure what is between the charger and the batteries, are there other fuses?

Very strange then as the batteries are not charging? Not sure what is between the charger and the batteries, are there other fuses?
Yes. There is a Fuse document in the VIP Resources section.
I believe there is a 30 amp and 5 amp in the Dashboard Fuse holder.

Thanks, I had a quick scan last night and need to review in more detail as I'm completely baffled at first reading. Looks to be fuses under the passenger seat as well as the dash, so need to read it in more detail.

Had another look and my fuse boxes don't look like those in the resources (possibly too old as they seem to be T6). Charger seems to have 30a fuses so checked all those and all OK. Think this might be a vw job, although may pull the charger out and test it first. 20210422_174817.jpg20210422_174729.jpg