Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Check your hook up leads

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
the wiring connections in each end of your hook up lead may need checking every now and then.

We've had ours nearly 5 years, hooked up today and no power, initially suspected it was a fault with the Cali (!) but after checking everything else first - because it couldn't possibly be the hook up lead! - I borrowed the neighbours lead and that's the problem.

Further investigation revealed the neutral in one of the connector ends had completely come out of the terminal. I've checked both ends of the cable and all the terminal screws were loose and all the cable cores loose!

the wiring connections in each end of your hook up lead may need checking every now and then.

We've had ours nearly 5 years, hooked up today and no power, initially suspected it was a fault with the Cali (!) but after checking everything else first - because it couldn't possibly be the hook up lead! - I borrowed the neighbours lead and that's the problem.

Further investigation revealed the neutral in one of the connector ends had completely come out of the terminal. I've checked both ends of the cable and all the terminal screws were loose and all the cable cores loose!
Was thinking of changing or hook up leads, looking a bit dis-coloured, will do now.

Happens when screws are not tightend enough or come loose afther periode of time ....thats how short curcuit happens and a fire can start (worse senario that is)
Also pulling at the lead instead the plug itself causes this....
Good to have this heads up:thumb

Any loose connections will generally drop out the RCD in the hook up point so it's kind of self monitoring.

Good call though on an annual prod with a screwdriver.