Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chef'in it up.

looks good. Having spent some time in Singapore, I am partial to a dozen sticks and cold cold beer. Satay and beer. Also a great combo :thumb

Good flat-pack kettle. Ditto.

Been looking at those - what make can you recommend?

Following on from @sidepod post, Outwell do a larger 2.5 litre kettle it also fits in the sink but better fit turned upside down. Not sure why we bought the larger one there was a good reason at the time.

..me..

Looks good, I wonder how many owners actually cook in their vehicles. I've only ever owned Beaches as I feel that I wouldn't use the cooker due to cabin smells??

We use ours but only for boiling veg and eggs etc or for porridge or Cous cous or something of that ilk. Anything messy or smelly is always cooked outside.

We use ours but only for boiling veg and eggs etc or for porridge or Cous cous or something of that ilk. Anything messy or smelly is always cooked outside.
Ditto. I'll take previously cooked and frozen things in Chinese takeway boxes and reheat them on the stove, but anything smellier gets cooked outside.

These were my efforts on the Cobb ...

A gorgeous seafood paella/risotto made with amazing freshly caught langoustines, monkfish and mussels and foraged wild herbs ...

IMG_0080.JPG

And then my mum's famous chicken not-casserole ...

IMG_0228.JPG

I love the Cobb - amazing cooker. It all fits in its snug little bag in the boot too.

When we first tried out our new Cobb it wasn't exactly a roaring success. We had decided to treat our youngest son and daughter in law to the full Cali dining experience in our then new SE. We kicked off on our Cobb learning curve with something easy........a full roast beef dinner! For the venue we chose the National Trust Langdon Cliffs site above Dover docks in November!

Whilst Mrs B cooked the majority of the veg in the Cali I fired up the Cobb dealt with the beef and roast tatties whilst sampling the wine. All went swimmingly well until it came to serving up. Whilst the fodder was cooking a bitterly cold howling drizzly gale had blown up so by the time I had removed the beef and roast bits and bobs from the Cobb it was all stone cold.
The moral of the story is don't run before you can walk and especially not in a gale.

Actually, just as we were licking our fingers there was a tap on the window. It was the NT warden who had come to inform us that cooking wasn't allowed and that included using our Cali stove for making tea or coffee. We were advised to use their expensive cafe in future. Yeah right. I have nothing against using NT catering facilities and often do but I object to being sold a line about grass fires on a damp November day. A similar thing also happened to us last summer when we tried to eat our picnic at another NT property. We were told that it was not allowed as we might be upsetting the finely balanced eco structure of the wild grasses and flowers by eating our sandwiches in our car! I did point out that we may have already done that by parking a car on them. As we made our way out of the car park area towards the house I caught sight of the same young woman tucking into her lunch whilst sitting in the very same meadow.

Since that first Cobb cooking event we have had a lot more practice. It seems that you just have to give what ever you are cooking much more time than you usually would and that's where the wine comes in handy.

Here are a couple we prepared earlier:
image.jpeg

This was a sort of upside down Tarte au pomme creation. It was beautifully caramelised and tasted absolutely bl#*dy gorgeous. Eaten with friends accompanied by a good dollop of creme fraiche.

image.jpeg

Here's my favourite, bread and butter pudding coated in thick cut Seville marmalade (preferably home made) and custard of course.

Actually we also usually use Seville marmalade when cooking a gammon joint. This is a meal that the Cobb seems to be very good at cooking. About 30 minutes before the gammon is fully cooked quickly stick it on a sheet of tin foil and cover the joint in marmalade. Then wrap up in the foil like a parcel and wack it back in the Cobb to finish cooking.

Last edited:
Great post Borris. But my tummy is rumbling now and it's only 10.15.

Doorbell just rang with parcel guy bringing one of those Outwell collapsible kettles that Sidepod mentioned. Been putting it off for a while as we have a perfectly good wee kettle. But in the end, what Velma wants, Velma gets.

Off to Scotland tomorrow for ten days, planning to end up in Wester Ross and Assynt. Weather looks... perfect! Will be packing the barbie but really expecting to take max. advantage of all the seafood restos up that way.

Great post Borris. But my tummy is rumbling now and it's only 10.15.

Doorbell just rang with parcel guy bringing one of those Outwell collapsible kettles that Sidepod mentioned. Been putting it off for a while as we have a perfectly good wee kettle. But in the end, what Velma wants, Velma gets.

Off to Scotland tomorrow for ten days, planning to end up in Wester Ross and Assynt. Weather looks... perfect! Will be packing the barbie but really expecting to take max. advantage of all the seafood restos up that way.
:Nailbiting We use our kettle for boiling water.

Borris your Cobbing looks amazing! We have had ours for years and use it a lot in the garden and on campsites. One of our favourite and easiest things is just to bung some pork in with a bit of interesting liquid (alcoholic, natch) in the well to give it a lovely flavour. The smell on the campsite always drives everybody wild. Lovely in a bun with lashings of apple sauce and a chunk of stuffing.

Here's a pic, though it's a bit fuzzy, of our offering from this weekend.

Oh, and my husband usually cooks our Christmas roast beef in the Cobb as well, outside the back door, though that sometimes gets interesting due to the amount of Christmas sherry which gets knocked back whilst I peel sprouts, singalong to King's Carols etc. The results are always perfect though, and it means we're not all fighting for oven space!

Roast pork on the Cobb.jpg

Borris your Cobbing looks amazing! We have had ours for years and use it a lot in the garden and on campsites. One of our favourite and easiest things is just to bung some pork in with a bit of interesting liquid (alcoholic, natch) in the well to give it a lovely flavour. The smell on the campsite always drives everybody wild. Lovely in a bun with lashings of apple sauce and a chunk of stuffing.

Here's a pic, though it's a bit fuzzy, of our offering from this weekend.

Oh, and my husband usually cooks our Christmas roast beef in the Cobb as well, outside the back door, though that sometimes gets interesting due to the amount of Christmas sherry which gets knocked back whilst I peel sprouts, singalong to King's Carols etc. The results are always perfect though, and it means we're not all fighting for oven space!

View attachment 21069
Stop it Verity, I can't take any more. I haven't had my dinner yet and you have me salivating like a hungry dog in a butcher's doorway.

Like you I also think that Cobb cooking is great fun. I very much like your idea of doing Christmas dinner on it. It really suits camping as you have to be patient and leave it to cook slowly leaving plenty of time to natter and imbibe.

Yea Cobb is a great cooker done a rib of beef last week. Used the wok pan put some beer in with it delicious.

Back