Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Child Car Seat

M

Midget Jenn

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
What Group 1/2/3 isofix car seats is everybody using in their Cali Ocean? We're looking for a car seat for a 3 year old, our current seat fitted seat is not a great fit so doesn't feel safe enough.

We just got this maxi Cosi titan from Halfords it first with isofix and is really stable.

Previously we bought the recaro hero which straps with just a belt but found that the car seat tilted sideways when we went round corners.

The guy at Halfords checked the fitting of the recaro hero and was surprised, we also tried the it in our be touran and fit was better but not great.
Halfords let us try seats in our cali Beach until we were happy with one.

The isofix was the best fit even if a bit fiddly to put in and out when sleeping. We find that if you tip the bench seat back slightly it helps with the fitting.

The seat we chose can be seat belt fitted at an older age so will see how that fit is when the time comes.

We are happy with this seat and I am sure fitting in and out will get quicker with practice. Glad we persisted and selected a new seat with isofix.
94436af81f4fcba99f6282a4906da53e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Can you get an isofix that doesn’t have a foot /leg going down to the floor? Ours has done and blocks the drawer underneath which is a huge hassle! Looking for a new one

Can you get an isofix that doesn’t have a foot /leg going down to the floor? Ours has done and blocks the drawer underneath which is a huge hassle! Looking for a new one
See previous image on this we have car seat with isofix, we found seatbelts didn't offer a good fit - in our Beach with 2 seater bench.
We do have to remove our seat back covers for the isofix, we put them back on for when it's a bed or using as table etc without the car seat.

Once your child is 15Kg you can get a group 2/3 seat which fixes with Isofix and the child is held into the seat with the car’s seatbelt, not a harness, so the leg is not needed. The Maxi Cosi Rodifix is suitable for children 15-36 Kg so should last them for ages unlike the Group 0 seat which they outgrow in months.

An alternative to the leg is a top tether, but I have no experience of these.
https://babyseat.fundacionmapfre.or...ation-top-tether-support-leg-lower-tether.jsp

We have 2 Cybex Solution s-fix for our 4 year old boys. Great seats. Just annoyingly difficult to find the isofix bars. Although we’ve not had the van long and everyone says it gets easier.

We’ve been using the Recaro Monza Nova which we have been very happy with. It’s isofix. As the previous post says, getting it clipped in isn’t always easy.

Now the kids are into group 3 territory we’re switching to the Peg Perego Isofix Boosters which are really easy to fit and remove and take up a lot less space in the van when we’re in camping configuration.

We have 2 Cybex Solution s-fix for our 4 year old boys. Great seats. Just annoyingly difficult to find the isofix bars. Although we’ve not had the van long and everyone says it gets easier.

Looking for a new seat. The Cylex seat looks good. Checked the fitting, mentions the T5 Cali, ok. But T6 not listed.
Saying that. I’m sure the seat is the same between the two models.

We have the Nuna Rebl swivel seat which has been brilliant, other than the leg blocking the draw.
Today’s must do’s are looking at car seats.

Ours is the maxi Cosi titan pictured further up on this thread, fits with isofix but no foot to the floor. It's got 3 point harness so can be used from 9 months plus.

The harness then comes out and you can use the seatbelts to fasten.

The isofix location gets easier with time!

Hi Melaine.
I popped into Mothercare today and had a look at your suggestion above.
It has an upper Tather point, if you want to use Isofix.
Does the Cali have this attachment...?

Hi Melaine.
I popped into Mothercare today and had a look at your suggestion above.
It has an upper Tather point, if you want to use Isofix.
Does the Cali have this attachment...?
Hello - we are only using the isofix at the moment. I have heard mention of people using the tether point on another thread.

My boy is a tall 4 and still fits in the 3 point harness.

We previously tried a reccaro seat which used seatbelts only to fasten and the seat tipped when we went round corners!

We are happy with this seat and have it in our car too. It fits in driver's seat when we are sleeping.

Ok.
Yes I want to use the multibelt system on the child’s chair. I was told the tether must be used with this and ISOFIX.
Once child reaches a certain weight, I think it was 19kg. You no longer use this system and attach the child via the California seat belt.

So I guess I need to find, if the California has a Tether Point and where it’s located...?

Just found this.

View attachment 36389 I can only comment on the T6, as other models may be different, but the Ocean has tether points at the bottom of the bench seat and the Beach has them further up the bench seat - see image from VW California Manual.

Just resurrecting this thread.
Our Nuna Rebel has lasted this far, but unfortunately our 3.5 year old has become to heavy for the chair.

So looking around for solutions.
I did notice that, non ISOFIX chairs were a lot less bulky and much lighter and therefore easier to store.
I would say most would fit in the front foot wells when camping.

Anyone know the official rules, with regards to little ones seats. I was told by one store that they must use the vehicle seat belt from 18kg...?
Is ISOFIX any safer...?

Our Nuna Rebel has lasted this far, but unfortunately our 3.5 year old has become to heavy for the chair.

I did notice that, non ISOFIX chairs were a lot less bulky and much lighter and therefore easier to store.

Anyone know the official rules, with regards to little ones seats. I was told by one store that they must use the vehicle seat belt from 18kg...?
Is ISOFIX any safer...?

Yes, Isofix with a top tether is safer. Just try to move a seat with isofix and one without, and see the difference. And less possibility of wrong installation, too.
You can’t imagine how many bad installed seats I’ve seen in my working life (safety researcher)
My kids are 6 and 3.5, still in their seats (obviously according to age and weight, even if new rules are focusing on height instead)

Last edited:
Yes, Isofix with a top tether is safer. Just try to move a seat with isofix and one without, and see the difference. And less possibility of wrong installation, too.
You can’t imagine how many bad installed seats I’ve seen in my working life (safety researcher)
My kids are 6 and 3.5, still in their seats (obviously according to age and weight, even if new rules are focusing on height instead)
We use the Maxi Cosi RodiFix Group 2/3 seat.

It uses Isofix to attach seat to vehicle and the vehicle seat belt to hold the child to the seat, no need for top tether..

It is quick and easy to fit and is suitable for child weight 15 to 36 Kg (approx 4 - 11 years).

Two will fit in the front passenger footwell and on the passenger seat so long as it is not swivelled.

Is ISOFIX any safer...?
Have a look at the rules here: https://www.childcarseats.org.uk/types-of-seat/.

I don’t know the stats but intuitively Isofix seems like it must be safer. Without it the seat can move about a lot. Although in impact the seatbelts will presumably lock and prevent most of that movement.
Despite the pain of fitting Isofix in pre late 18 Calis, I personally would not consider not using it. We always take a quick pop up or kitchen tent and store the seats and other assorted clutter in there. We’re not much good at packing light!

Tents and awnings are a big no no for us.
Much prefer everything in the van.
I took my pop up shelter last weekend and didn’t really use it.
Our current seat doesn’t quite fit in the footwells, however it does have a swivel system which adds to the bulk. Won’t need this going forward and doubt the following group of seats will have this feature

Thanks all for the advice

Tents and awnings are a big no no for us.
Much prefer everything in the van.
I took my pop up shelter last weekend and didn’t really use it.
Our current seat doesn’t quite fit in the footwells, however it does have a swivel system which adds to the bulk. Won’t need this going forward and doubt the following group of seats will have this feature

Thanks all for the advice
Can you get a seat that would fit under the Ocean multiflex? We can fit two RodiFix seats in a 69 configuration under our Beach multiflex which is ~48 cm high. I reckon a single seat would be ~40cm high laying on its back.

I am using two of these (see link below to cybex Pallas) for my grandchildren and they are great. Really comfortable but light and easy to pop in and out. The children are using them with the front pad at the moment but when they are bigger, I can remove it. The seats have isofix but no tether and can also be used without isofix if necessary.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073H8JM4F/?tag=eliteelect-21

I am using two of these (see link below to cybex Pallas) for my grandchildren and they are great. Really comfortable but light and easy to pop in and out. The children are using them with the front pad at the moment but when they are bigger, I can remove it. The seats have isofix but no tether and can also be used without isofix if necessary.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073H8JM4F/?tag=eliteelect-21

Are you sure you should be using seats without tether or foot...?
I was told when using ISOFIX you must use one of either system in conjunction with the ISOFIX connection...

Are you sure you should be using seats without tether or foot...?
I was told when using ISOFIX you must use one of either system in conjunction with the ISOFIX connection...
If the Group 2 or Group 3 seat doesn't have its own harness the seat or cushion will be held in pace by the vehicle seatbelt around the child and the child sitting in the unsecured seat or on the unsecured cushion. Isofix is just a bonus which secures the seat to the vehicle.

OK
Cheers Amarillo