Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Child car seats

S

ShatteredMum

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi!

We're very excited to be collecting an older T5 next week, and just wondered whether anyone is currently using a group 2 car seat on their back bench (not ISOFIX) and if so, what works please? Our kids are 15months (will stay in her MaxiCosi Cabriofix rear-facing for now, although we'll be looking into what extended rear-facing options will work when she grows a little more) and 3yrs 8 months. His current car seat is an extended rear-facing 2-way pear, which we are about to swivel round because he's no longer comfortable, but it's isofix. The ideal would be belted seat that converts from a group 1 to a group 2 (like the Joie Every Stage) but a well-fitting high-backed booster would be OK too.

Thanks!

Hi!

We're very excited to be collecting an older T5 next week, and just wondered whether anyone is currently using a group 2 car seat on their back bench (not ISOFIX) and if so, what works please? Our kids are 15months (will stay in her MaxiCosi Cabriofix rear-facing for now, although we'll be looking into what extended rear-facing options will work when she grows a little more) and 3yrs 8 months. His current car seat is an extended rear-facing 2-way pear, which we are about to swivel round because he's no longer comfortable, but it's isofix. The ideal would be belted seat that converts from a group 1 to a group 2 (like the Joie Every Stage) but a well-fitting high-backed booster would be OK too.

Thanks!

Hi, I can't help with non-isofix seats but as you have isofix seats already I just want to mention that if your van is a California then I think both the T5 and 5.1 have the same isofix compatible seats. The fixing points on the 2 seat bed bench seat are recessed to make the bed more comfortable so not visible. The backrest has to be reclined slightly to reach the fixing points and there are top tether fixings on the back of the seat. The isofix points are initially very awkward to access but with time the seat cushion seems to adjust and the child seats can be fitted in a couple of mins.

RecaroSeat.jpg
http://www.mothercare.com/highback-...ighback-booster-car-seat---carbon/888442.html
We bought a couple of these non-isofix Recaro 'Young Sport Hero' seats for our daughter. I've had Recaro seats in my road cars and I've have always been impressed with the quality and this 'child seat' is no exception. We've had them for getting on for two years now and they still look and feel like new, despite the day to day abuse they receive from our soon to be three-year-old. We have had no problem transferring them to our Cali and because the Young Sport is a Group 1, 2 and 3 seat it will adapt to her needs from 9 months up until an incredible 12 years old. They come in some cool colours too.

Last edited:
Hi!

Thanks!
Sorry, just found this post now. How about the Brittax Römer one: Max Way? I also have a T5 with no ISOFiX so I guess this one would be okay?

I have really struggled to fix isofix seats onto the bench of my Ocean.

We have 2 Recaro Monza Nova seats in my wifes car our boys love them - super comfy & they seem solid and well built. But I cant get them to fit into the Cali. So I'm still looking...

By contrast, I bought a lighter weight, had loads of Which and other such 5* reports, but is just a chunk of plastic and no padding on the seat base, etc - I'm sure it was about £150 too!
http://www.maxi-cosi.co.uk/gb-en/car-seats/rodifix-airprotect®.aspx

This isnt iso-fix so does easily fit on the bench & quick to renmove, etc especially when camping.

View attachment 19736
http://www.mothercare.com/highback-...ighback-booster-car-seat---carbon/888442.html
We bought a couple of these non-isofix Recaro 'Young Sport Hero' seats for our daughter. I've had Recaro seats in my road cars and I've have always been impressed with the quality and this 'child seat' is no exception. We've had them for getting on for two years now and they still look and feel like new, despite the day to day abuse they receive from our soon to be three-year-old. We have had no problem transferring them to our Cali and because the Young Sport is a Group 1, 2 and 3 seat it will adapt to her needs from 9 months up until an incredible 12 years old. They come in some cool colours too.
Hi we have the same seat for my 2.5 and 4 year old and works really well. The non isofix is easier to take out and install in my opinion. I searched hi and low and this is seat suited us best..

Not sure if it's the same on the Ocean, but on our Beach one trick is to recline the bench slightly (as if converting to the bed) and this exposes the isofix connectors. And then obviously pull the bench back up after!

Not sure if it's the same on the Ocean, but on our Beach one trick is to recline the bench slightly (as if converting to the bed) and this exposes the isofix connectors. And then obviously pull the bench back up after!
Good idea, you can also see the isofix locations from the rear of the bench and get an assistant to help the seat locations arms to align correctly. After a few times it becomes easier to engage the seats.

I keep a britax roamer in ours constantly. A simple forward facing seat with seat belt restraints.
Also easily and quickly removable and fits on the front seat tidily when the bed/rear bench needs to be opened out. Reasonably priced as well. We have a recaro with isofix in wifes car but moving it often is awkward as the isofix system in the childseat is bulky and heavy.

Just out of interest, where do you all store your kids seats when parked / camped up?
We are now 2 adults, a 2 yr old and a 5 month old (so 1 kids seat and a baby seat) looking to go away for a month in the summer and want to get rid of them out the van at night.
Currently thinking roof box or back box of some sort but not sure there is anything on the market big enough. Don't really want to have to pitch a mini tent each time we camp up...

Luckily we now only need 2 booster seats.

But our first camp with a hired cali we took two full size car seats, we found there is quite a bit of room in the footwells when the front seats are rotated. With a bit of playing both we’re able to lay on there sides.

Just out of interest, where do you all store your kids seats when parked / camped up?
We are now 2 adults, a 2 yr old and a 5 month old (so 1 kids seat and a baby seat) looking to go away for a month in the summer and want to get rid of them out the van at night.
Currently thinking roof box or back box of some sort but not sure there is anything on the market big enough. Don't really want to have to pitch a mini tent each time we camp up...
When we started out on our trip we had a baby seat (Group 1) and child seat (Group 2). If not swivelled, both would fit in the driver's footwell and on the driver's seat. If we are on a site for just a few nights we don't put up the driveaway awning and make a safari room from the wind out awning and awning panels.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi we have the same seat for my 2.5 and 4 year old and works really well. The non isofix is easier to take out and install in my opinion. I searched hi and low and this is seat suited us best..
We have just got this seat for my 3yr old and noticed that when going round corners the seat tips - This is when turning away from the seatbelt side.

We have a 2 seater bench in t6 beach with the seat covers on. Any ideas??

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So frustrated with ours.....just spent another hour trying to get the isofix to engage. (2 seats )

The inner bars on each are obvious but the outside on each I just cannot find the point to attach to. :mad:

We have just got this seat for my 3yr old and noticed that when going round corners the seat tips - This is when turning away from the seatbelt side.

We have a 2 seater bench in t6 beach with the seat covers on. Any ideas??

Hmmm I’m not sure. We haven’t noticed any tipping. Is the seat flush to the middle?

Hmmm I’m not sure. We haven’t noticed any tipping. Is the seat flush to the middle?
We took it to Halfords who said it was fitted correctly so we changed it for an ISO fix one.

So frustrated with ours.....just spent another hour trying to get the isofix to engage. (2 seats )

The inner bars on each are obvious but the outside on each I just cannot find the point to attach to. :mad:

Tricky, isn’t it! Once you get the hang of it though, it’s actually ok (apart from wrecking my nails on the release switches).

It’s worth persevering for the peace of mind in having the seats so securely anchored in.