Grant Foster

Grant Foster

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi -

I have the choice between the following 2 Oceans through my local VW dealer:

Option 1:
  • 150ps DSG on a 17 plate
  • Registered in June, used as a rental over the summer - has approximately 5000 miles,
  • Discover media plus
  • Privacy glass
  • Light and vision pack
  • Cruise control
  • Front & rear sensors with camera
  • Comfort mattress
  • Leather multi function wheel
  • Awning
  • Mud flaps
  • Cost new £59k. Price = £50k
Option 2:
  • 204ps DSG on a 67 plate
  • Due for delivery this week
  • Discover media plus
  • Driver alert
  • Detachable tow bar
  • Cruise control
  • Front & rear sensors
  • Comfort mattress
  • Lockable storage
  • Awning
  • Mud flaps
  • Cost new £61k. Price = £56k

I can't make my mind up but I'm inclined to go with Option 2. The additional £6k for a brand new vehicle seems reasonable. I'd probably prefer the privacy glass but I guess this can be done at a later stage, and the basic green tint looks fine in any case. Other than the 204 v 150ps (and I don't suppose that makes much difference), there isn't a lot to chose between the two spec's otherwise.

Any thoughts welcomed, including any views on whether these prices/discounts look in line with 'standard' (if there is such a thing).

Thanks
C

Option 2, definitely.

Offer 53k for option 2 as they maybe looking to hit targets for the end of the month.

Hi -

I have the choice between the following 2 Oceans through my local VW dealer:

Option 1:
  • 150ps DSG on a 17 plate
  • Registered in June, used as a rental over the summer - has approximately 5000 miles,
  • Discover media plus
  • Privacy glass
  • Light and vision pack
  • Cruise control
  • Front & rear sensors with camera
  • Comfort mattress
  • Leather multi function wheel
  • Awning
  • Mud flaps
  • Cost new £59k. Price = £50k
Option 2:
  • 204ps DSG on a 67 plate
  • Due for delivery this week
  • Discover media plus
  • Driver alert
  • Detachable tow bar
  • Cruise control
  • Front & rear sensors
  • Comfort mattress
  • Lockable storage
  • Awning
  • Mud flaps
  • Cost new £61k. Price = £56k

I can't make my mind up but I'm inclined to go with Option 2. The additional £6k for a brand new vehicle seems reasonable. I'd probably prefer the privacy glass but I guess this can be done at a later stage, and the basic green tint looks fine in any case. Other than the 204 v 150ps (and I don't suppose that makes much difference), there isn't a lot to chose between the two spec's otherwise.

Any thoughts welcomed, including any views on whether these prices/discounts look in line with 'standard' (if there is such a thing).

Thanks
C

If it were my choice, option 2 for sure. I think I would want to pay a lot less for an ex-rental when you compare it with the discount on the new one. You're stuck with the post April 2016 value tax either way, plus the new one has towbar - not an easy retro fit. Most seem to think the factory privacy glass is not dark enough anyway so many go aftermarket tint route. Hope this helps.

If you need a tow bar then Option 2 if its not pre- wired its expensive to install but not at that price if been on rental look what income has been made during the rental period
I understand there is a " list " around of VW released California vehicles at a good price

i think the starlight blue is the classiest colour .... and i haven't got one ... promise

Option 2
as i would be concerned about how it was used during its rental period
Dave and lisa

I wouldn't rule out option 1 until I'd properly inspected it. It may be absolutely perfect, with the bulk of 3 years warranty on it. I hired a Cali in Scotland last year and looked after it as if it was my own. It's easy to spend other people's money but remember as a general rule with vehicles, the more you spend, the more you'll lose. You never know, you might be able to get a further discount on option 1 which could make your depreciation and total cost of ownership very low indeed.

I wouldn't rule out option 1 until I'd properly inspected it. It may be absolutely perfect, with the bulk of 3 years warranty on it. I hired a Cali in Scotland last year and looked after it as if it was my own. It's easy to spend other people's money but remember as a general rule with vehicles, the more you spend, the more you'll lose. You never know, you might be able to get a further discount on option 1 which could make your depreciation and total cost of ownership very low indeed.
Thanks for this. Another helpful contribution. The rental was returned today and the dealer sent me a video - from what I could see, it looks as good as new to be honest. I don't suppose I'll go wrong with either option, and I guess they both seem to be appropriately priced, all things considered. (The dealer won't move any further price on either).

Option 2 for me as the other is a member of the fastest vehicle in the world club

opion 2 would get my vote

if dealer will not budge any further on price try and get some extras put in. I got to that and dealer agreed to pay for the extra 2 year warranty and offered bike rack (which I swopped for side bars).

Also if you go with 1 has it a 5 year warranty

Option 1, I would not touch a 204 with a barge pole, worse MPG, higher servicing costs.

Also if you buy option 1 you will have £6000 to spend on accessories and holidays.

One big reason I would not go for option 2, that is it has no privacy glass

Option 2

Try to get them to include additional warranty making it 5 years.

Option 2

Try to get them to include additional warranty making it 5 years.

This is a very good point. As I get bored of my cars very easily, I didn't bother extending my warranty but 18months in and still loving it, I'm really starting to regret it..

This is a very good point. As I get bored of my cars very easily, I didn't bother extending my warranty but 18months in and still loving it, I'm really starting to regret it..

I got this extended warranty as part of the deal on my Cali, thought it would be handy if I decide to sell it on.

Our existing van is ex rental and had no problems at all, as mentioned above the lack of privacy glass would be a concern

Option 1 for peace of mind long term. 50% less turbos to go wrong, and it has a reversing camera. Just go in with your eyes open and an ex-rental is no greater risk than a "normal" used vehicle. Most Cali renters do not feel the need to do sub 8 minute laps of the Nurburgring. If you're financing either choice just make sure you are adequately covered as you're unlikely to get new vehicle replacement on a pre-reg.