Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Choosing an awning , any ideas please

Mark skipworth

Mark skipworth

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi we have just purchased our first Cali T5 and we are over the moon with it ,but we have Glastonbury coming up and trips to lake district organised and need a little more space ,can anybody give advice on picking the best Awning . Thanks

Welcome!

I have two awnings. I have a Outdoor Oxygen Movelite and an Shelterpod.

I took the Outdoor this weekend to the Lakes but never used it and left it in the van. I tend only to use it as a place to dump stuff in. I bought the Shelterpod last year for our summer holidays. I found this an easier setup and pack away. It also keeps the Cali "open". If I was to surmise both awnings I would say Outdoor = winter / Shelterpod = summer.

I have two Boxer dogs and sometimes a French bulldog as well. To overcome the space issue I remove the rear shelf and mattress and run a storage box setup in the boot. Once on site and the sleeping stuff is in place then I can turn the boxes lengthways and push the rear seat right back.

Off course that does mean you have no option but to sleep upstairs

Welcome!

I have two awnings. I have a Outdoor Oxygen Movelite and an Shelterpod.

I took the Outdoor this weekend to the Lakes but never used it and left it in the van. I tend only to use it as a place to dump stuff in. I bought the Shelterpod last year for our summer holidays. I found this an easier setup and pack away. It also keeps the Cali "open". If I was to surmise both awnings I would say Outdoor = winter / Shelterpod = summer.

I have two Boxer dogs and sometimes a French bulldog as well. To overcome the space issue I remove the rear shelf and mattress and run a storage box setup in the boot. Once on site and the sleeping stuff is in place then I can turn the boxes lengthways and push the rear seat right back.

Off course that does mean you have no option but to sleep upstairs
Have you any photos of the shelterpod? I have three dogs and wonder if they could sleep in it, l understand there is an inner tent with a built in ground sheet.

Awnings can be quite a personal thing and I think you need to consider your needs before buying. My first question is how do you intend to travel in the van?

If you plan to stay in one place for a good stay then an awning is very good. If you are the type of person who likes to move on every day or two it can become a hindrance as you will be constantly pitching and taking it down.

We have two awnings.

1. A Kela driveaway awning
2. Thule G3 residence

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

They are both a similar bulk.

The G3 feels like an integrated part of the van and the parking heater will heat it. It needs to be fully disassembled before driving away anywhere.

The Kela is fairly straightforward to detach and drive off; a massive storage facility with space for a kitchen area and dining area.

However, what I would recommend is a stand alone gazebo such as the Vango Hex and extend the wind out awning to give rain cover or sun shade while transferring from van to tent.

They come in all shapes and sizes. I'd go to a good camping shop or to a show where you can see them up and walk around inside them.

I'd definitely suggest getting an inflatable though. Tents with poles are a bit of a faff.

We've got a Vango the airbeams are brilliant.

It's pretty big but we love it.

They come in all shapes and sizes. I'd go to a good camping shop or to a show where you can see them up and walk around inside them.

I'd definitely suggest getting an inflatable though. Tents with poles are a bit of a faff.

We've got a Vango the airbeams are brilliant.

It's pretty big but we love it.

View attachment 43927
Thanks for the great advice the awning you have looks fantastic on your Cali just what we’re looking for ,thanks again

Have you any photos of the shelterpod? I have three dogs and wonder if they could sleep in it, l understand there is an inner tent with a built in ground sheet.

Shelterpod website is your best bet due to the numerous option you have with the configuration.

My two dogs sleep downstairs. I think if I had 3 boxers that would be a struggle. (I only count the Frenchie as a 0.5)

Hi,

As per my profile pic, I too have the Vango "big air beam one", which has served us well for extended trips staying in one location. We're a family of four so it works well as both as an additional dining/living room and on some occasions a dumping ground!

Hi we have just purchased our first Cali T5 and we are over the moon with it ,but we have Glastonbury coming up and trips to lake district organised and need a little more space ,can anybody give advice on picking the best Awning . Thanks

If your looking for space you should avoid Glastonbury! Haha

I have a small air beam Kampa, can be extend the space with a simple tarp and bungee balls

08E574D0-D3BA-462D-9026-86FA3193E40C.pngAD171DCD-2072-4650-97BB-69639BAD8DBD.jpegAD171DCD-2072-4650-97BB-69639BAD8DBD.jpeg3126E729-0278-4554-A62E-B122ED478E91.jpeg72F87C7C-8E49-4A55-83EA-A0C3FBE718EA.jpeg

I have a SheltaPod for sale. We bought it last year and have used in once - exactly a year ago but didn't find it to be what we needed sadly. We didn't have time to try it before a road trip round Scotland and only put it up the first night. Ground sheet and inner tent and privacy panels were not used. The pod/tent sit approx 6 - 8 feet away from van and is connected by a canopy section with adjustable poles. Ours is grey and this is only picture I have of it up. Sorry mines not a Cali yet........... just counting the pennies...........

IMG-20180508-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20180508-WA0005.jpeg

Absolutely agree with above comments about personal choice. We have an Airbeam Kela III - its great & has been all over France, Spain & UK with us. However, we have only put it up a few times!! Unless staying somewhere for quite a while I really can't be bothered to put it up & take it down. Instead just use a 2-man pop-up tent . It goes up & down in a few in seconds & perfect for storing stuff that you want out of van. We do try to travel light though, though daughter not always on message!

Hi how much are you asking for it? Thanks
HI Maggie

Can you e-mail me on jamesawarlow@+++++.com so we can discuss it. As said it is as new with only the outer Shelta having been up for actually only 4 hours!. I see they have grey reduced from £395 to £295 on their website at the moment but can't see delivery till you completed everything to order which is a pain.

Anything we buy gets properly looked after BTW - we are renowned for it which it is why it is taking me soooo longgg to find the perfect Cali for us! Could take me months - our current van took me 4 months to find and previous owner was fastidious - ex army logistics so everything was in perfect order.

Regards

James

Can you PM me - is that possible?????
Hi l am not sure about PM as far as l know you click on the persons avatar and start conversation, l do not have one for you. Are you +++++++? Yes l see they are £299 at the moment the postage is £15 just received an email. We can offer around £150 plus postage if that's any use. We just bought a Jura so this is just when l go travelling alone. Thanks

Hi l am not sure about PM as far as l know you click on the persons avatar and start conversation, l do not have one for you. Are you **+**+**+**+**+**+**+? Yes l see they are £299 at the moment the postage is £15 just received an email. We can offer around £150 plus postage if that's any use. We just bought a Jura so this is just when l go travelling alone. Thanks
They blank out email addresses lol

HI Maggie

As this is as new I was looking for £225 inc postage if still interested - £150 would be half we paid? I've just looked up and we paid £312 inc delivery exactly 12 months ago. Ours has the privacy panels and sunshade.

We have a Kayham Motordome classic (3x3m) and also just bought a Comfortz camping room / Safari tent.

We use the Kayham for 3 days plus and then the Safari tent will be used as wind break, small storage and shelter so we can cook outside whilst being sheltered. For one night Safari tent is quick to put up and small to store.

We haven't used the camping room / safari tent yet but got it from the club shop.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/vw-california-awning-kit-camping-room

MVIMG_20180824_181310.jpg

Back