Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chorlton cum Hardy to Korcula and back

Frankyworthy

Frankyworthy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All

Invaluable travel and techy tips on here as ever. The forum search function is your friend!

By way of payback, I intend to share our trip details and discoveries as we start on Monday from Manchester to Croatia via:

Leeds Northants, Wimbledon (this bit is work travel tbf)
Shuttle to Calais
Germany somewhere
Slovenia - Ljubljana Bled Bohinj
Croatia - Split Dubrovnik Korcula Hvar Vis Brač
Italy - Venice (Chioggia?) Como
France - Uzés Marseillan Bordeaux Ile d’Oleron La Rochelle Le Havre
Manchester June 25th

Many contributors on here have been considered but any more tips and suggestions in passing are very welcome.

I’ll try to update progress regularly.

Au revoir

Paul and Mary

https://www.nevio-camping.com/ for Korcula, there is a regular ferry service between Orebic and Korcula. It is also within day trip distance of Dubrovnik and avoids the problems of having to drive through a little bit of Bosnia.

Take the coast road south through Croatia. It takes 3 times as long but is at least 3 times more delightful.

https://www.nevio-camping.com/ for Korcula, there is a regular ferry service between Orebic and Korcula. It is also within day trip distance of Dubrovnik and avoids the problems of having to drive through a little bit of Bosnia.

Take the coast road south through Croatia. It takes 3 times as long but is at least 3 times more delightful.
Thanks Tom,
I read your blog but can't recall the Dubrovnik bit. Did you drive there or get a bus?

Also, is the Bosnia bit a problem?

Found it now on your blog.

A short 18 Km hop, which included a 1 hour ferry ride which connects the two parts of Croatia, bisected by Bosnia. An extraordinary geopolitical arrangement.

Thanks Tom,
I read your blog but can't recall the Dubrovnik bit. Did you drive there or get a bus?

We drove.

Our journey down and up Croatia begins here:

I really should take the time to index the blog.

Tom

Your insurance is unlikely to be valid for Bosnia. Not necessarily a problem as you should be able to buy third party cover at the border.

When Yugoslavia broke up both Slovakia and Bosnia wanted to avoid being landlocked. The most extraordinary arrangement is that for Bosnia where a narrow strip of coast is given to Bosnia, surrounded by a Croatian Peninsula.

Just back from a trip to Sarajevo - 11 countries in 17 days!

We had been to Croatia in the van previously but we were particularly keen to go in to Bosnia and especially Sarajevo and Mostar.

I noticed when I renewed the insurance that Comfort were offering a green card for Bosnia for the first time this year. Cost about £40 for 1 week cover which is the minimum.

We were expecting much worse but to be honest, the standard of the infrastructure and the quality of the driving was only marginally worse than in Croatia. Despite what we had read, we didn't feel at all unsafe.

We spent a few days in Croatia before crossing into Bosnia near Mostar. The border guard did want to inspect the green card.

After visiting Mostar, we stayed a couple of nights at Camping Oaza in Sarajevo - a site with good facilities and an excellent and cheap on-site restaurant. The site is walking distance from the tram stop into the city. Heading north we crossed back in to Croatia at Slavonski Brod and returned through Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

It doesn't seem possible to buy Bosnian Marks outside the country but there are plenty of ATMs. Credit card coverage is patchy. Everything seems relatively cheap though and we ended up using up much of the Marks on diesel before leaving.

Fascinating area with lots of history and well worth a visit.

John

Back