Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Christmas Day in the Cali

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We will be spending Christmas in the Cali this year, on the 18th December we are travelling down through France into Spain and ending up in the Costa Blanca where we will spend both Christmas and new year.

We are still undecided about Christmas dinner as we have found several restaurants that do 3 course Xmas dinner including wine for about 35 Euro so we think this may be a better option rather than try and cooking a Turkey on the Cobb :Nailbiting

Will anyone else be spending Christmas day in their van?

Will anyone else be spending Christmas day in their van?

I probably will. I’ll be on my own, so might spend it in the van. Even it it’s on my own drive. I’ll pack my self a stocking with nuts and satsumas, and surprise myself with a cheeky Terrys chocolate orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The title of this thread reminded me of this festive offering from the much missed Sir Terry Wogan.

Just like the late great Humphrey Littleton he too was a world class purveyor of high class smut.

Sorry about going off at a tangent, I couldn't resist. We had the first course of our Christmas dinner in our previous Cali two years ago. We were parked at a very nice local beauty spot that was completely enveloped in thick fog. Could't see a thing. We returned home for the subsequent courses due to the need to imbibe encore. Not something you aught to do in a motor vehicle.

Last edited:
We might be but we are staying in blighty. Maybe the Western Isles.

We will be.

Not sure where yet as I have to be back at work on Boxing Day, boooooo. :(

We went away last Christmas in Cali (and hope to do the same this year) but didn't cook a full Christmas dinner. We took a Chestnut, Guinness and Stilton stew we'd made before we headed off and had that with crusty bread to soak up the gravy! We try to keep our cooking quick and simple when we're away but good luck with the turkey.

Will be in Dartmoor for Christmas Day still trying to work out what to eat for Christmas dinner.

Hi Billy

Yes we are spending Christmas and new year in the van on a similar trip to yours.
We are driving south through France on the 20th but I was thinking getting into Spain is maybe a bit far??

No plans for Christmas dinner. We like to keep things simple but a chicken on the cobb maybe nice if the sun shines!

Happy sunny Christmas to you

We have been very cautious and booked the restaurant for Christmas day we will then had back to the van for the evening for nibbles and port.

I'm almost doing the same: the dog and I are heading for France next week (but should be back home on Christmas Eve). I have about 11 days in total.

So far, I've booked ferry tickets and my first night's stop, not far from Le Mans. And my plan was to head roughly for the Dordogne (because I've never been there) but I may change my plans depending on weather.

It's my first time abroad in the van, and my first really mid-winter trip, so any recommendations for destinations, or where to find the best lists of picturesque sites that are open all year, would be welcome!

Or any tips for someone pretty incompetent at cooking, who will now find himself far from pub grub! I'll cope just fine, but am I often likely to find small restaurants within easy reach of campsites open at that time of year, do you think?

I'm almost doing the same: the dog and I are heading for France next week (but should be back home on Christmas Eve). I have about 11 days in total.

So far, I've booked ferry tickets and my first night's stop, not far from Le Mans. And my plan was to head roughly for the Dordogne (because I've never been there) but I may change my plans depending on weather.

It's my first time abroad in the van, and my first really mid-winter trip, so any recommendations for destinations, or where to find the best lists of picturesque sites that are open all year, would be welcome!

Or any tips for someone pretty incompetent at cooking, who will now find himself far from pub grub! I'll cope just fine, but am I often likely to find small restaurants within easy reach of campsites open at that time of year, do you think?
Many French Towns and villages have Municipal Sites. Very cheap, good basic facilities and often close to the centre of said town/village, BUT I'm not sure if they stay open All Year.

This might help.

https://alanrogers.com/camping/france/all-year

https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/france/-/open-all-year/

Ah, thanks - pitchup.com I knew, but I hadn't discovered Alan Rogers.

Q

I'd definitely do a turkey crown or alternative xmas meat on the Cobb. Much nicer than going out and you can get sloshed as well without worrying about driving home again.

We will be waking up in the van on Christmas day as we have all the family coming to stay and all the beds will be full of them so we'll sleep in our five star hotel in the paddock and listen to the owls instead of Nanny snoring. Heaven.

Back