Christmas in Portugal. Info please.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
while at COTF we got talking to a forum member, sorry we have forgotten your name, who told us about his 15 month trip around some 22 European countries, and also about a campsite in Brecon ( which we have found - Pencelli Castle ).

Anyway, we were thinking of Christmas in Southern Portugal. Have you any information, sites or places to stay/see in that area?

Also if anyone has any information or advice about such a road trip.

Calais - northern Pyrenees - into Spain - across Spain to Southern Portugal. Return is the same route approximately but via Madrid.

Does anyone know of campsites open over the Christmas/New Year period and before and after in France/Spain/S.Portugal.

Also any info about Public Holidays in particular in relation to Museums/Galleries in Madrid.

Any information much appreciated.
We will do a combination of wild camping and campsites but it would be nice to spend Christmas and New Year on a nice site.:thumb

Three things come to mind.
The ACSI book has lots of open all year campsites listed, some also feature in the discount card book.

Beware of the cross Pyrenees passes being blocked due snow.

Research the unmanned Portuguese toll roads and how to pay for them!

Thank you. Easytoll seems to be the way to go for tourists.
I don't plan to cross the High Pyrenees but was considering the West/Atlantic side so hopefully snow wouldn't be a problem.
Any site recommendations in Southern Portugal and around Madrid would help.

Hi WelshGas (Paul)

It was me that you were talking to in your van (kevin)

Agreed if you go the western Atlantic way into Spain you will be ok. Re the tolls you are unlikely to want to use the few toll roads that exist as you are likely to want to mooch around, but in any event if you google Portugal toll roads you will see they are not an issue.

I have stayed at a campsite at Madrid which was a very short bus ride into the city, can't recall the name but Google will help.

There will be very many motor homes wintering along the Algarve and most if not all campsites will be open, suggest you get a road map of the area and use google.

A few suggestions from my previous experience in my Cali and also in the locality where I spend a lot of time.......

Faro....car park close to the old centre and overlooking the sea...free...toilets but no showers.

Vila Real De Santo Antonio...aire on the quay...4 euro a night inc toilets water hook up...no showers. Plus a good campsite close to Monte Gordo with fantastic cycle routes in the area.

Castro Marim...aire...free...water and toilets but no showers.

River Guadiana river road on Portugal side...many places to stop for free and an aire at Alcaria.

Alcoutim....free aire with water...plus free toilets and showers on the quay.

Pomarao....free aire with water ...plus free toilets and showers on the quay....and a bridge across to Spain.

Mertola...free aire with water down by the river...no toilets or showers.

Mina De San Domingos....free aire by the huge lake with free toilets and showers in the village.

Suggest you google to get a flavour for all of these lovely places and the general area, having toured there and the whole of Portugal in 2011... I liked the area so much I now have a house there, pop in to see me if in the area as I am often out there.

PM me for any further details....

Kevin

Thank you very much Kevin. I'm hopeless at remembering names, sorry.
Thanks for the information. Terri is hammering the World Wide Web as I type, making plans.
Will be in contact in the future.

Paul....I would suggest you sign up to Flickr....in order to see a range of pics of the places I mention... am confident you will love what you see. River Guadiana really is an amazing place.

Hi WelshGas (Paul)

Agreed if you go the western Atlantic way into Spain you will be ok. Re the tolls you are unlikely to want to use the few toll roads that exist as you are likely to want to mooch around, but in any event if you google Portugal toll roads you will see they are not an issue.

I have stayed at a campsite at Madrid which was a very short bus ride into the city, can't recall the name but Google will help.

There will be very many motor homes wintering along the Algarve and most if not all campsites will be open, suggest you get a road map of the area and use google.

A few suggestions from my previous experience in my Cali and also in the locality where I spend a lot of time.......

Faro....car park close to the old centre and overlooking the sea...free...toilets but no showers.

Vila Real De Santo Antonio...aire on the quay...4 euro a night inc toilets water hook up...no showers. Plus a good campsite close to Monte Gordo with fantastic cycle routes in the area.

River Guadiana river road on Portugal side...many places to stop for free and an aire at Alcaria.

Pomarao....free aire with water ...plus free toilets and showers on the quay....and a bridge across to Spain.

Mina De San Domingos....free aire by the huge lake with free toilets and showers in the village.

Suggest you google to get a flavour for all of these lovely places and the general area, having toured there and the whole of Portugal in 2011... I liked the area so much I now have a house there, pop in to see me if in the area as I am often out there.

Kevin

Hi WelshGas (Paul)

Kevin

just happened to see this - we are thinking of doing this journey in January, but we are worried about snow/high passes/road closures. Any advice would be very welcome

All my investigation has revealed that travelling to the West or East, we'll be going on the West/Atlantic side, of the Pyrenees is fine all year round. Going through the central band is problematic during winter.

Back