Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Christmas Markets - France

kwmb

kwmb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Good Afternoon, I wonder if any one can recommend French Christmas markets, I know its a bit early (sorry :eek:), but I like to plan ahead where possible!

So can anyone recommend:

Good Christmas Market France, and nearby stop over - campsite etc, also other recommendation on Christmas markets welcome (England/Germany etc if you know any really good ones well worth a visit!), as I have never been to one, and would love to go this year!!

Never camped in the cold either - tips welcome as I will be relying on my heater!!

I generally avoid markets but two that I have been to:

Ardres - park up in any one of the two squares although one of them may be rather busy with stalls. The square by the marie on rue Arenal is best as Boursot's wine shop is 30 yards away.

Arras ... two big main squares and all the shops open very late. Park at the Aire and it's a ten minute walk. The Aire though gets desperately crowded so get there a day before as the theatre car park next door also gets used as an overflow.

I am surprised that you have not had more replies :(

Christmas markets can be a great festival, if a cold one.

It was certainly cold in Arras when I was there, below freezing, but that did not stop every cafe, bar and restaurant having a summer quantity of tables outside and every table fully booked, which brings on another warning. If you want to eat in a restaurant, book in advance. The popular ones will be full.

Never been there but was thinking Aken in Germany is famous for the Xmas market?
Brattwurst und lager....

There are a lot of famous Xmas Markets in Alsace.

This site lists them, with dates (in French...)
http://www.marche-de-noel-alsace.com/marchenoel2.htm

Specially notable markets include:
Colmar
Eguisheim
Kaysersberg
Ribeauville
Riquewihr
and of course Strasbourg.

You can probably find details in English with a bit of searching or Google transation.

I like the Colmar market, been a few times and I believe there is a campsite very close although I've never used it.

Good Afternoon, I wonder if any one can recommend French Christmas markets, I know its a bit early (sorry :eek:), but I like to plan ahead where possible!

So can anyone recommend:

Good Christmas Market France, and nearby stop over - campsite etc, also other recommendation on Christmas markets welcome (England/Germany etc if you know any really good ones well worth a visit!), as I have never been to one, and would love to go this year!!

Never camped in the cold either - tips welcome as I will be relying on my heater!!

Lincoln xmas market is very good and runs for 4 days. Their web site lists local camp sites.
http://lincoln-christmasmarket.co.uk/information-for-visitors/opening-times/

We are also looking to do a few Christmas markets en route to spending Christmas on the Costa Blanca.

Never been there but was thinking Aken in Germany is famous for the Xmas market?
Brattwurst und lager....
We have been to Aachen Christmas market. It was very nice indeed. This was before we had a Cali and we stayed in the Novotel in the city centre. Went to Monshau in the snow and it was absolutely magical. Highly recommended.

You could also turn left at Calais and make the short distance to Brugge we have just come back from there great city and we are told it has a top Christmas market with Ice rings and bars open all around the square.

Back