Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cigarette lighter doesn't work

chrissmit

chrissmit

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hi,

For some reason my cigarette lighter doesn't work. I'm no smoker, but need it for charging devices.
I've checked the fuses under the hood.
Couldn't find which one it was in the manual, so checked all of them. All were in order.

Measured the voltage, but there was nothing.

Any other clues?

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems your Cali got a few problems....did you bought it with warrenty , if so , i would
go and have a chat with the seller....

Anyway , do you mean the 12v socket in the litlle drawer beside the gearstick?
Becouse there are 4 , 12v sockets in a Cali SE

Front in dash
On the right of the sink
On the right of the benchseat
In the booth to the right

Take note that if you charge something on the one in front , in the dash , it wil drain your starterbat. if the motor is not running!
The three others use the lesurebat.

The fuses of everything regarding engine are located under the hood .
Fuses regarding drivers cocpit located behind the botlleholder , underneeth the gearstick
Fuse regarding the camperequipment located under the left front seat.

So did you check them all.....?

Seems indeed like it has a lot of problems.
Actually I don't think it's that bad. It's a 2006 T5.
So far water pump, control panel, and cigarette lighter (sorry for misspelling that earlier).
I'm just totally not familiar with a T5, and this is an excellent serious forum to ask my questions.
When I'm more settled with our Cali, I'll try and help out others.

Yes it's the cigarette plug next to the ashtray.
So that fuse should be underneath the gearstick? I have an automatic, does that make any difference?
I've only checked under the hood.
Haven't found any mention in the manual about the fuse box under the gearstick.

Maybe I should learn to read too...

But where's the one for the cigarette lighter:confused:

Hi, I think there is a full list of fuses and layout in the download section.

Hi, I think there is a full list of fuses and layout in the download section.

Yep , but he is no VIP member no acces to the downloads...

I had not spotted the non VIP, I have found it very helpful being able to download various stuff.

I also have a missing 12v socket.

I'll check out the fuse box and keep you posted.

Maybe the 5th fuse box is only for super VIP members?

VW change the layout of the fuses periodically. So what works for a 2008 T5, may be different for a 2010 T5.

All of the 12v sockets on my van are powered from the leisure batteries and are permanently live. The 10amp fuse for this is under the seat.

I know this because the tech at Breeze Poole looked on-line for me and we then used a continuity tester to confirm it.

Alan

Mmm...
I haven't found nr. 1

Did find nr. 2. It's right behind the big bottle holder under the ashtray.
How do I access that?
Which parts and screws do I need to take away?

Hi Chris,

Correction to my previous post, the 12v sockets are fed off 15amp fuses not 10amp

I would not dismantle anything until you have checked the fuse feeding it.

It should be a 15 amp fuse. On my 2010 it is under the passenger seat, drivers seat if yours is a LHD van.
the theory is you should be able to see if the fuse is blown by looking at it in situ. The reality is that you will need to pull out all of the 15 amp fuses in turn to look carefully to see if any have blown. There is usually a fuse extractor clipped into the cover of the fuse panel behind the dash water bottle container on your van.

If you find a fuse that has blown then replace it and all should be well. If it blows again quickly, you have a bigger problem which will need to be investigated further.

1. On top of Dash with flip cover.
2. In ash tray /drink holder
3. Side of Kitchen Cabinet
4. Side of Bench seat with Cup holder
5. In the Boot :)
All live at all times.

Nr1 is not standaard but retrofit ....

Number 1 became stand around 2013

Thanks for all the help.

My T5 is a 2006 one.

So far have located 4 fuse boxes.
The one under the hood is for the engine etc. they're all ok. Checked them one by one. The one under the seat is for the camper side, but not for the cockpit/dashboard.
There is one behind the big bottle holder, under the ashtray and gearstick.
My best guess is that the cigarette lighter's fuse in the ashtray is in that particular fusebox.
I can see the fuses, but how do I access them?

I accidentally dropped a coin down No 2 (ash tray) and blew the fuse (I should have replaced the plastic blank :headbang). The blown fuse was under the passenger seat (RHD 2014 SE). I can't remember if it was 10 or 15 amps.

On earlier T5's the dash cigarette lighter fuse is under the panel in the middle. (Under the cupholder/ashtray - You'll see a big flathead plastic screw - whick works like a turnbuckle to undo)

Cigarette lighter is normall fuse 12 in this panel. (Top row, third from right, 15A)

Hope this helps.

Mark

upload_2015-6-28_5-48-41.png

upload_2015-6-28_5-47-12.png

That's great Mark. Is that fuse card diagram inside? I have not opened mine yet?

Hi Chris,

Correction to my previous post, the 12v sockets are fed off 15amp fuses not 10amp

I would not dismantle anything until you have checked the fuse feeding it.

It should be a 15 amp fuse. On my 2010 it is under the passenger seat, drivers seat if yours is a LHD van.
the theory is you should be able to see if the fuse is blown by looking at it in situ. The reality is that you will need to pull out all of the 15 amp fuses in turn to look carefully to see if any have blown. There is usually a fuse extractor clipped into the cover of the fuse panel behind the dash water bottle container on your van.

If you find a fuse that has blown then replace it and all should be well. If it blows again quickly, you have a bigger problem which will need to be investigated further.

Thanks for this.
But how do I get access to this fuse box that's behind the big bottle holder, underneathe the ashtray?

Thanks for this.
But how do I get access to this fuse box that's behind the big bottle holder, underneathe the ashtray?

Hi Chris,

See my post above. There's a single large plastic screw that turns through wither 90 or 180 degrees. It then folds down.

Rgds
M